Power steering locks up
09-21-2017, (Subject: Power steering locks up ) 
Power steering locks up
I have a 2012 Pete 386 with an ISX15 CM2250

With this truck I experience the steering wheel lock up. It's worse when the truck is loaded. You get maybe a whole rotation of the steering wheel and then, at pretty much the worst time, it locks up. You can steer back the other direction, but if you want to keep turning through the "lock up" you have to really force the issue.

Has anyone else experienced this?

I'm going to flush the fluid, change the filter and bleed the system. Hopefully that won't be a waste of time. Any help is greatly appreciated. Thnx in advance.
replyreply
09-21-2017, (Subject: Power steering locks up ) 
RE: Power steering locks up
(09-21-2017 )indian_richard Wrote:  I have a 2012 Pete 386 with an ISX15 CM2250

With this truck I experience the steering wheel lock up. It's worse when the truck is loaded. You get maybe a whole rotation of the steering wheel and then, at pretty much the worst time, it locks up. You can steer back the other direction, but if you want to keep turning through the "lock up" you have to really force the issue.

I'm going to flush the fluid, change the filter and bleed the system. Hopefully that won't be a waste of time. Any help is greatly appreciated. Thnx in advance.

Have you checked the u-joints in your steering shaft?
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Waterloo , JMBT
09-22-2017, (Subject: Power steering locks up ) 
I had this problem on my 2011 Volvo when it was less than a year old. I found if I went slow and smooth it wasn't too bad but only "locked" up when I tried to go too fast. In my case it was a bad steering box which had to be replaced and I've had no problems with it since.

User's Signature: Too young to quit........Too old to change.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: fargonaz , Hammerhead
We've had a few lock up steering issues on some low mileage Cascadia's in our fleet. Turned out to be the steering box. It was difficult to duplicate as it would rarely happen. But as kryten said, it would happen more frequently when trying to turn the wheel quickly. If the driver turned the wheel slowly, it wouldn't happen. We got the steering boxes replaced and the problems went away.

User's Signature: 2013 Volvo 670 with Big Red under the hood
replyreply
 Thanks given by: fargonaz , Hammerhead

My '09 386 ( 533k on it ) just recently had the same problem. It turned out to be a weak power steering pump. After installing a new one, my problem went away.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Waterloo , Brock
Steering box, steering wheel shaft u-joint or the pump. I went through this on my ProStar, I replaced the steering shaft as it was getting up there, that helped. Then it was getting worse, to the point of locking up, I replaced the pump, problem went away. If it is locking up like you state, I would lean towards the steering gear box, especially if it just suddenly started doing this without warning. If gradually getting worse, and then locking up I would look at the shaft and or pump.

When was the last time you flushed the power steering system and replaced the filter? I guess that would be my first attempt to fix, as it is the least expensive of the above.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Brock
(09-21-2017 )big_roy Wrote:  

Have you checked the u-joints in your steering shaft?

The u joints are like new. They're not loose
replyreply
Check the bearing in the steering column.
replyreply
(09-22-2017 )Waterloo Wrote:  Steering box, steering wheel shaft u-joint or the pump. I went through this on my ProStar, I replaced the steering shaft as it was getting up there, that helped. Then it was getting worse, to the point of locking up, I replaced the pump, problem went away. If it is locking up like you state, I would lean towards the steering gear box, especially if it just suddenly started doing this without warning. If gradually getting worse, and then locking up I would look at the shaft and or pump.

When was the last time you flushed the power steering system and replaced the filter? I guess that would be my first attempt to fix, as it is the least expensive of the above.

I haven't ever flushed the power steering fluid. The truck has done this for a while now and it hasn't gotten worse over time yet.
replyreply

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.