CM871 engine vibration
10-27-2017, (Subject: CM871 engine vibration ) 
CM871 engine vibration
Hello everybody! Few weeks ago I started to feel a vibration anytime I would push the accelerator and it's getting worse when I pull heavy loads. I took the truck to a shop and they couldn't find out what's wrong with it. It's vibrating on idle too but it's not that bad. If anyone had such experience, how did you fix the problem. Thank you.
replyreply
RE: CM871 engine vibration
I had a similar thing going on, felt like my driveline or something similar, was worse when pulling a hill. I took the truck to the shop to have the driveline checked out, and I had them throw their computer on the truck to check out an in cab issue I was having. They ran Insite and DiamondLogic, ProStar, and it showed five hits on the Cam Shaft Positioning sensor and a bad dimmer switch in the cab. So, I replaced the Cam Shaft Positioning Sensor, paid $27 for it at the corner Cummins shop, not knowing that this was actually causing my vibration issue. Surprised the hell out of me, LOL!

I then went and replaced the Crankshaft Positioning Sensor for good measure. They are both the same part. Cost is around $25-$60 ea., depending on where you buy. The part # is 4921599

Only use a Genuine Cummins Part. This part is to important to go with some Chinese knock off.

Here is what it looks like... https://puredieselpower.com/class-8-prod...21599.html

If this is your issue, they are both located on the driver side of the motor. The Cam sensor is in the head, just forward of the Jake Brake harness.

The Crankshaft Sensor is down by the damper, you may have to remove one of the radiator braces to get to it. Here is my thread regarding removing that one, with photos, very good reference. http://rawze.com/forums/showthread.php?tid=2249

You will need a 10mm socket to remove, and universal joint with an extension to get to the Crankshaft Sensor. it will pull out with a few wiggles once the 10mm bolt is removed. When you put the knew one in, make sure to use gear or engine oil on the o-ring located on the sensor. The Crankshaft sensor needed to be turned and pushed in and it then locked itself in. Make sure that they are seated properly or you will have an oily mess on your hands.

I cannot say that this is your issue, but it sure sounds familiar. And, Winter is coming on, may be a good idea to just change them out. It is a vital sensor.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: victory26
(10-27-2017 )Waterloo Wrote:  I had a similar thing going on, felt like my driveline or something similar, was worse when pulling a hill. I took the truck to the shop to have the driveline checked out, and I had them throw their computer on the truck to check out an in cab issue I was having. They ran Insite and DiamondLogic, ProStar, and it showed five hits on the Cam Shaft Positioning sensor and a bad dimmer switch in the cab. So, I replaced the Cam Shaft Positioning Sensor, paid $27 for it at the corner Cummins shop, not knowing that this was actually causing my vibration issue. Surprised the hell out of me, LOL!

I then went and replaced the Crankshaft Positioning Sensor for good measure. They are both the same part. Cost is around $25-$60 ea., depending on where you buy. The part # is 4921599

Only use a Genuine Cummins Part. This part is to important to go with some Chinese knock off.

Here is what it looks like... https://puredieselpower.com/class-8-prod...21599.html

If this is your issue, they are both located on the driver side of the motor. The Cam sensor is in the head, just forward of the Jake Brake harness.

The Crankshaft Sensor is down by the damper, you may have to remove one of the radiator braces to get to it. Here is my thread regarding removing that one, with photos, very good reference. http://rawze.com/forums/showthread.php?tid=2249

You will need a 10mm socket to remove, and universal joint with an extension to get to the Crankshaft Sensor. it will pull out with a few wiggles once the 10mm bolt is removed. When you put the knew one in, make sure to use gear or engine oil on the o-ring located on the sensor. The Crankshaft sensor needed to be turned and pushed in and it then locked itself in. Make sure that they are seated properly or you will have an oily mess on your hands.

I cannot say that this is your issue, but it sure sounds familiar. And, Winter is coming on, may be a good idea to just change them out. It is a vital sensor.
Thank you Waterloo. I'll try that.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Waterloo
Cheap insurance if nothing else.
replyreply
10-31-2017, (Subject: CM871 engine vibration ) 
I had those sensors replaced, and I still dealing with the same problem. Even at idle if I raise up the rpm at 1300/1400 you can feel it. I thought it was the drive line in the first place and I had all that checked out, It came up it's all good and none of this so called mechanics can tell me what's wrong. The truck also is low on power for an unknown reason.
replyreply
The vibration damper, they have a 500,000 mile lifespan according to Cummins. When I replaced mine it really smoothed things out. How old is the damper?
replyreply
 Thanks given by: victory26
I have 890xxx mi on my truck, I don't know if it was ever replaced.
replyreply
Well, more than likely the original. Might be a good time to replace, as the viscous fluid in them hardens over time, and they will blow apart. There were photos here somewhere on the site of one that did just that. When it does, it is hook time. I know when I replaced mine it really smoothed out the motor. I think I paid $635 for mine at Cummins, and they got me for 3 hours labor.
replyreply
Every time I mention the dampener I get “I’ve only taken one bad one off”, “I don’t think it will change much as they haven’t when I’ve done it before” etc etc. 757,800 miles. Supposedly no way to “diagnose” them. How do know to spend the money wisely or waste it?
replyreply

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.