CM 870 turbo
01-25-2018, (Subject: CM 870 turbo ) 
RE: CM 870 turbo
I wasn't driving, I wish I would have been because maybe I would have a better idea of what happened. The driver said he made a turn and started going through the gears, he went from 5 to 6 and he heard a loud pop and it lost all power and started smoking like crazy and he shut it right down. Would lugging it make the turbo fail like that?
replyreply
That’s the primary reason for this miserable failure. Lugging is your best friend when something had to be destroyed . It takes time but is inevitable. Way to much oscillating load applied to parts will cause fatigue and structural disintegration.
That’s why we constantly nagging to keep RPMs above 1500 under full load during acceleration or steep uphill.
Guess this doesn’t helps a lot , but’s something to think about.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Chamberpains
Thanks for the good information and advice. Do you think I should pull the valve cover and oil pan to look for internal damage? Or would that be unnecessary extra work?
replyreply
If you have the time, it never hurts to have a quick look under the valve cover. You circulated some burnt oil back in the engine when she popped. So changing the oil is recommended. While the oil is out you can drop the pan. It's all in what you want to sleep with. Knowing or assuming.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Wiseman
once the valve cover and pan are off is there a way i can flush out some of the oil thats in it to try to get any metal particles out that might have come from the turbo? Also is it reasonable to try to reuse the intercooler or should i not take the chance?
replyreply
Firmly stand with Chamberpains on that .
You said, you needed back tomorrow, but what if turbo looks like that

replyreply
(01-25-2018 )tree98 Wrote:  once the valve cover and pan are off is there a way i can flush out some of the oil thats in it to try to get any metal particles out that might have come from the turbo? Also is it reasonable to try to reuse the intercooler or should i not take the chance?

Unfortunately there’s always a chance something can stay clogged inside the CAC end do some harm later .
Would you like playing Russian roulette?
Most likely the pieces of compressor wheel are distributed all the way to the head .
replyreply
(01-25-2018 )Wiseman Wrote:  
(01-25-2018 )tree98 Wrote:  once the valve cover and pan are off is there a way i can flush out some of the oil thats in it to try to get any metal particles out that might have come from the turbo? Also is it reasonable to try to reuse the intercooler or should i not take the chance?

Unfortunately there’s always a chance something can stay clogged inside the CAC end do some harm later .
Would you like playing Russian roulette?
Most likely the pieces of compressor wheel are distributed all the way to the head .

So your saying there is most likely metal particles from the turbo in the head already ? What do i do about that? I'm gonna replace the cac I just wanted to get an opinion from someone else on it.
replyreply
01-26-2018, (Subject: CM 870 turbo ) 
Don’t freak out. Get the after CAC hose off and take a good look inside. Then shine a light inside intake manifold and do the same .
Let us know what you find.
If it’s only dust like aluminum it’s ok . If there’s anything coarse,it’ll need to get cleaned as much as possible.
Run the engine briefly , snapp on accelerator few times to clear before you put the new turbo on . Do I have to mention plugging oil feed line if you do that ? Use of leaf blower or shop air too?
replyreply

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.