Help choosing an 871 truck
03-16-2018, (Subject: Help choosing an 871 truck ) 
RE: Help choosing an 871 truck
Thanks for the solid advice Nilao, Blake and Rawze. Thanks for the offer, ragindirt!

Sorry for the delay guys. I’ve looked at a ton of trucks since looking at the ones I linked above. I ended up finding a 2011 prostar in Dothan, AL at a Penske dealer. 132k original miles. 871 ISX. Penske is giving me 15 days (from the time it leaves their lot) for me to find any major problems with it. Penske is ok with repairing any of the above items that Nilao and Rawze mentioned above. In fact, they have been working on the truck for the last few weeks to make sure it will pass dot and the truck is functioning correctly. Communication with Penske has been good so far. The only thing that I don’t like about Penske is their extended oil changes. They are at 45k miles on these trucks/engines. The one I bought had a few extra oil changes because they change the oil every (I think she said) 6 months if the mileage doesn’t hit 45k first.

Now the big catch here with the truck I bought is it’s a single axle. But It’s headed straight to Houston truck rigging inc. to get stretched and converted to tandem axle. I found a good low mile Hendrickson air ride setup off of an intl 9400. Houston truck rigging is going to add to the rear of the prostar frame and incorporate an inner frame sleeve as well if I understood him correctly. I need 145” from rear of cab to center of rear axles for a near future logging grapple so I see this as killing two birds with one stone.

So as soon as the truck arrives to Houston, my mechanic and I plan to meet the truck there and check as many of these things as possible. I hope all this works out as there are very few 871 ISX trucks left. Plenty of 2250’s. I checked a few 2250’s on quickserve and there was no records showing fuel pump work or upgrading of the ceramic plungers. Nobody knew anything about any injection pump related campaigns. So a single axle was the only way for me to get a low mile 871.

Thanks again for taking to time to type up the great advice above. I will be applying it in a few days when I go meet the truck in Houston.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Rawze , Waterloo , Hammerhead

Messages In This Thread
RE: Help choosing an 871 truck - serv - 03-16-2018

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.