Fuel Mileage Bonus Round
06-04-2021, (Subject: Fuel Mileage Bonus Round ) 
RE: Fuel Mileage Bonus Round
(06-04-2021 )Kw9006nz Wrote:  
(06-04-2021 )Ricky Wrote:  
(06-04-2021 )W9L Wrote:  Amen. I understand now. And as a reference to aerodynamics of trailer, gotcha. Day in, day out, the lousy aerodynimcs of mos any livestock trailer, pot, floor trailer, or whatever are the hardest factor to overcome. Roughly 60% of the time we battle crosswinds that even empty and a being somewhat of a tailwind can create a net negative effect simply because it is pushing on the side of trailer and causing the trailer to not track with the truck-not to mention the friction created by all of the holes in a punch side trailer. I have been considering a lift on one of the trailer axles for running empty with thoughts of better mpg and reduced tire wear?
I have a spread axle 53 flatbed and I deadhead a good bit. I know for me It makes a difference picking up the front axle. I just have to watch because my tractor is stretched and it takes a wider swing with the axle up. I don't have a lift on mine, I do it by hand for say. I dump the bags and shut off the air to the front bags with a valve I installed. I then put a short chain and binder in the center and chain it up. When I air the bags up it lifts the front off the ground. Takes five minutes and I have been Dotted with it up with no problems.

I've seen a few pots with lift fixed lift on tri axles always wondered if the ride would be improved ad well as mpg
My spread is a little smoother with the front axle up. Is your trailer a closed tandem. I see a really lot of fuel tankers with closed tandems with one axle up. I saw one the other day with the back axle up on a closed tandem. If you could lift the back one it would be better for you having that set forward axle that already takes a football field to turn around.
replyreply

Messages In This Thread
RE: Fuel Mileage Bonus Round - Ricky - 06-04-2021

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.