oil is black immediately after oil change
04-09-2016, (Subject: oil is black immediately after oil change ) 
RE: oil is black immediately after oil change
(04-09-2016 )rv4jesus Wrote:  Thanks for all the input but maybe I didn't clearly state my problem.

I understand the things that I could do to keep my oil clean between oil changes and I'm sure I should do an EGR tuneup as Rawze suggests. My problem is the oil is black on the stick as soon as it has been changed. What makes this happen? How would an EGR tuneup effect the color of the oil immediately after an oil change? As far as I know it is a Cummins 871 with the stock oil filters.

SOOT! These motors are SOOT MONSTERS! Until you do an MM you will not have that clean oil you are looking for. I did the EGR Tuneup, cleaned the entire system, etc. The oil went black almost immediately after the first post EGR Tuneup oil change. When I lost my DPF filter, I then eliminated the mandate and MM'd her. The oil was clean for the first 12,000 miles, than slowly darkened, but only after eliminating the mandate.
replyreply
Sorry it is a 2010 ISX 435ST, I don't know why I thought it was an 871
replyreply
(04-09-2016 )Waterloo Wrote:  
(04-09-2016 )rv4jesus Wrote:  Thanks for all the input but maybe I didn't clearly state my problem.

I understand the things that I could do to keep my oil clean between oil changes and I'm sure I should do an EGR tuneup as Rawze suggests. My problem is the oil is black on the stick as soon as it has been changed. What makes this happen? How would an EGR tuneup effect the color of the oil immediately after an oil change? As far as I know it is a Cummins 871 with the stock oil filters.

SOOT! These motors are SOOT MONSTERS! Until you do an MM you will not have that clean oil you are looking for. I did the EGR Tuneup, cleaned the entire system, etc. The oil went black almost immediately after the first post EGR Tuneup oil change. When I lost my DPF filter, I then eliminated the mandate and MM'd her. The oil was clean for the first 12,000 miles, than slowly darkened, but only after eliminating the mandate.
replyreply
Thanks Waterloo. So are you saying that there is so much soot in the residual oil that it is turning 12 gallons of new oil black right away? Why is this just happening on the last two oil changes? Is there a trick to draining all the old oil that the last guys don't know? Or is my oil so much dirtier in the last two oil changes over 30,000 miles than it was for all the oil changes last year?
replyreply
(04-09-2016 )rv4jesus Wrote:  Sorry it is a 2010 ISX 435ST, I don't know why I thought it was an 871

You have the CM2250 then, same thing, soot is your enemy. Get rid of the mandate, custom tune and map it and you should get clean oil.
replyreply
(04-09-2016 )rv4jesus Wrote:  Thanks Waterloo. So are you saying that there is so much soot in the residual oil that it is turning 12 gallons of new oil black right away? Why is this just happening on the last two oil changes? Is there a trick to draining all the old oil that the last guys don't know? Or is my oil so much dirtier in the last two oil changes over 30,000 miles than it was for all the oil changes last year?

Not so much the residual oil, but that will play into it a bit, but the fact that these motors just create so much soot the minute you turn them over. You would not believe how much soot these things create. I think it is 6 or 60 pounds between oil changes? Someone will correct me on this, but it is allot.

And, it sounds like you need to clean the soot out of the motor and replace the sensors. This will be a once a year thing until you eliminate the mandate. It took a case and a half of carb cleaner to de-soot mine and allot of rags and a good long handled bottle brush... Inspect your Doser too...
replyreply
Got it. Thank you. If that is the case it must be creating a lot more soot now than it did last year. I guess I'll start with cleaning the DPF again and doing the EGR tuneup.
replyreply
(04-09-2016 )rv4jesus Wrote:  Got it. Thank you. If that is the case it must be creating a lot more soot now than it did last year. I guess I'll start with cleaning the DPF again and doing the EGR tuneup.

Yep, it is a yearly thing, or twice yearly depending on how and where you run... Get rid of the mandate, that is my best advice. It will save you a world of headaches and prolong the life of your motor along with eliminating many a breakdown. Money in your pocket, where it belongs.
replyreply
If it's a 2010 engine it's a 871.
replyreply

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.