buying a 2014 pete 386
05-07-2018, (Subject: buying a 2014 pete 386 ) 
RE: buying a 2014 pete 386
Two weeks ago I went to {shop name removed. no longer recommended} to get my 06 CM870 programmed, it’s the best thing I’ve done for that engine. I don’t pull heavy less then 30k all the time and I’m at 8.02mpg. I had the overhead set the truck runs 100% better. Mind you this is in a Volvo with 18 speed transmission 3:73 rears and 24.5 tires. So having said that Gearhead is the man for that engine give them a call see what they say.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Chamberpains , Waterloo
05-08-2018, (Subject: buying a 2014 pete 386 ) 
Just one more opinion here to add to the pile. Keep your truck: fix the engine. That hood is a much cheaper problem than the engine in the new one you're looking at. Hell 5.8 mpg is better than a new truck even if you don't touch it.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Waterloo
If you just want to avoid taxes you can send me a cashiers check for the amount you want to avoid and I will write you a receipt for consulting fees...I'll gladly pay the taxes on it lol.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Rawze , Waterloo
Lots of opinions here most say to not go new ..... Me? there is more to a truck than the engine, new technology does add creature comfort, cabs are silent and more user friendly (after getting used to stuff being moved) I drive a 2000 Pete with 600 horse c16 18 speed jake and retarder, I had the chance to drive a new 18' with similar specs and the jake on a new truck is phenominal! It beats the two brakes hands down, the power curve is kinda like being back in the 80's when they came out with the 425 cat it would lug down to 1300 rpm and keep pulling new trucks will do more! Then there is the fact that everything else is newer and not worn like a million mile truck, if fed is helping you pay? all the better. I say stay away from the 10' -13' ISX unless you can check the mains and rebuild the pump no matter what they say was done before and learn how to maintain the emission system and under no circumstances own a computer truck without the complete computer diagnostic hardware and keep it with the truck.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Rawze
05-09-2018, (Subject: buying a 2014 pete 386 ) 
Surprised and disappointed nobody mention to invest in himself with an S.E.P. Retirement account. Trucks eat money, especially as we’ve learned, we’re just buying somebody else’s problem
replyreply
 Thanks given by: putt putt
05-10-2018, (Subject: buying a 2014 pete 386 ) 
(05-09-2018 )redbeard Wrote:  Surprised and disappointed nobody mention to invest in himself with an S.E.P. Retirement account. Trucks eat money, especially as we’ve learned, we’re just buying somebody else’s problem

I do invest.I just was looking to see if getting a newer truck was going to be beneficial either taxes or maintenance wise. Like the way you think though. A lot of guys never invest.
replyreply
05-10-2018, (Subject: buying a 2014 pete 386 ) 
(05-08-2018 )imalumberjack Wrote:  Lots of opinions here most say to not go new ..... Me? there is more to a truck than the engine, new technology does add creature comfort, cabs are silent and more user friendly (after getting used to stuff being moved) I drive a 2000 Pete with 600 horse c16 18 speed jake and retarder, I had the chance to drive a new 18' with similar specs and the jake on a new truck is phenominal! It beats the two brakes hands down, the power curve is kinda like being back in the 80's when they came out with the 425 cat it would lug down to 1300 rpm and keep pulling new trucks will do more! Then there is the fact that everything else is newer and not worn like a million mile truck, if fed is helping you pay? all the better. I say stay away from the 10' -13' ISX unless you can check the mains and rebuild the pump no matter what they say was done before and learn how to maintain the emission system and under no circumstances own a computer truck without the complete computer diagnostic hardware and keep it with the truck.
Thanks for the input. Looks like I am gonna stick it out with the 05 for a while longer. Maybe I'll try the new x15 once they have been out a while.
replyreply

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.