buying a 2014 pete 386
05-06-2018, (Subject: buying a 2014 pete 386 ) 
RE: buying a 2014 pete 386
PM Unilevers or MommaBurt and get that crap tune out of your engine. I get 6.8-7.3 mpg with 80,000 lbs in the N.E. and solid 7-7.8 sometimes better in the rest of the country with my 06 cm870. Just keep your foot out of it. Its a slow roll to quick profits. Also look into low rolling resistance tires. I jumped easily 1 mpg with those 3 things and I haven't had truck payment for 2 years.

The cost of the tune, tires and the slow roll will cost far less $$ and even less headaches than buying a newer truck.

And yes you can take it almost anywhere for service. Just not an actual Cummins shop. Almost every other Cummins certified shop doesn't give a hoot what conglomeration, abortion case or monstrosity you have. They will gladly rape you of your hard earned money. You are your own cheapest and best mechanic. And these things aren't crazy hard to work on.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Waterloo , rrod , BobsYourUncle
(05-06-2018 )Chamberpains Wrote:  PM Unilevers or MommaBurt and get that crap tune out of your engine. I get 6.8-7.3 mpg with 80,000 lbs in the N.E. and solid 7-7.8 sometimes better in the rest of the country with my 06 cm870. Just keep your foot out of it. Its a slow roll to quick profits. Also look into low rolling resistance tires. I jumped easily 1 mpg with those 3 things and I haven't had truck payment for 2 years.

The cost of the tune, tires and the slow roll will cost far less $$ and even less headaches than buying a newer truck.

And yes you can take it almost anywhere for service. Just not an actual Cummins shop. Almost every other Cummins certified shop doesn't give a hoot what conglomeration, abortion case or monstrosity you have. They will gladly rape you of your hard earned money. You are your own cheapest and best mechanic. And these things aren't crazy hard to work on.

I have slowed down.are your numbers with a aero truck or like I got a sheet of plywood going down the road. My area has some decent shops and the one I prefer is a kw dealer. They will work on the motor with no warranty. I am having problems justifying putting the amount of money that I am into this 05.I make really good money per mile and have been around for a long time just trying to solve a tax issue and scared I am opening a can of worms with this 2014.i do appreciate all feed back and I never stop asking questions.btw i do have low roll tires. My run and what I hual limit somethings
replyreply
(05-06-2018 )putt putt Wrote:  I have slowed down.are your numbers with a aero truck or like I got a sheet of plywood going down the road. My area has some decent shops and the one I prefer is a kw dealer. They will work on the motor with no warranty. I am having problems justifying putting the amount of money that I am into this 05.I make really good money per mile and have been around for a long time just trying to solve a tax issue and scared I am opening a can of worms with this 2014.i do appreciate all feed back and I never stop asking questions.btw i do have low roll tires. My run and what I hual limit somethings

What are your goals and needs? Maybe start by clearly defining what type and spec of equipment will yield the best long term profit with the least down-time and expenses

User's Signature: ->: What I post is just my own thoughts and Opinions! --- I AM Full Of S__T!.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Chamberpains
(05-06-2018 )putt putt Wrote:  I have slowed down.are your numbers with a aero truck or like I got a sheet of plywood going down the road. My area has some decent shops and the one I prefer is a kw dealer. They will work on the motor with no warranty. I am having problems justifying putting the amount of money that I am into this 05.I make really good money per mile and have been around for a long time just trying to solve a tax issue and scared I am opening a can of worms with this 2014.i do appreciate all feed back and I never stop asking questions.btw i do have low roll tires. My run and what I hual limit somethings

Just wanted to say you absolutely can achieve good mileage even with a "hood". With a proper tune from the aforementioned here and driving it right the mpg. between your 9 and a newer aero truck shouldn't be the main reason for upgrading unless your running like 150k a year.
As far as tax issues.....if you can't find an accountant that can keep the tax man happy without wiping out your savings every year and claiming you need more deductions then find another. My tax guy made me profitable through careful documenting and restructuring that allowed legal deductions that avoid taxes.

User's Signature: That’s pronounced, /ˈs(k)izəm/
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Rawze , t700
(05-06-2018 )Rawze Wrote:  

What are your goals and needs? Maybe start by clearly defining what type and spec of equipment will yield the best long term profit with the least down-time and expenses

Good point, I should have been more specific. I hual dump bucket from Youngstown oh to Chicago IL. I am light going to Chicago. I hual back to toledo heavy. Than empty back to Youngstown. So almost all miles are flat ground. My kw is real heavy. 22500 with no trailer. My kw has the 86 sleeper. I also have a rigmaster apu. My thinking was 1 mpg better with the 2014 and around 3000 lighter.i have only the basic tax deductions.... Fuel, tolls, repairs. I am single, kids grown and yes I do save for retirement. My account is very good. It's been the same forever. Pay uncle Sam or have a truck payment. When you make good money your options are limited. I also don't want to look over my shoulder every year. Thanks all again. Hope the more detailed info help.
replyreply
I would fix what you have, run it down to GA to Mr Haggs, let him program it and fix any other related issues to the programing in the ECM. I know exactly where you are running, I'm up in Detroit, and there is no reason you cannot see 7.5 or better with that truck and the correct tune. Especially hauling all of those empty miles. Even if you are looking for the 3000 lbs in weight savings for more income. I'll just say this, and others will back me up, that 2014 may get around 8 mpg, but those extra dollars you earn due to the lesser tractor weight will be eaten up in no time once she starts acting up. These motors, especially the one you are looking at, can go South on you so quick it would make your head spin, and quickly empty your savings. I would keep that bullet proof ride you have, no way would I gamble on a 2014 time bomb (fuel pump).
replyreply
just a thought ..... so I have a 13' with 205,000 miles it dynamited the fuel pump and has caused engine damage ( its somewhat like putting sand in your oil and driving for a few thousand miles) currently I am on this site as I live in California and I would like to comply and Rawze and friends give lots of info on keeping these beasts running legally. I can make this truck run and put it up for sale, it has damage that would not be seen without dropping the pan. Use caution on these engines, I believe it would include all cm2250, cm2350 isx 12 and 15 built from 2010? to 2013. Usually the engine is a few years older than truck year (mine is 13' and engine has build date of 2010. I think I would be looking at a Detroit.
replyreply
Thanks for the information. That's what scares me. How much can I see I the dealers lot.
replyreply
05-07-2018, (Subject: buying a 2014 pete 386 ) 
Take your truck over to {shop name removed. no longer recommended} to have that thing looked at. Worst thing that will happen is you get your truck sorted out and increase the resale value that you will stand behind with confidence. Get the tune right, check the overhead and mechanical of engine and maybe he'll see some other fuel robbing problem while he's looking at it. Spend some of that damn good money you make on the known truck problems once its looked at by a trusted tech. Then run your truck to see if its more profitable. If you can't spend all the money you make and are 1 of these dumbies that won't just pay the taxes and keep the profit cause you dont wanna pay "the man". Then take time off and enjoy your life!! Isn't that what your working for anyway?

Sorry i tied your other post in with this one.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Waterloo

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.