DD13 Gear Oil Results-First Oil Sample
05-24-2018, (Subject: DD13 Gear Oil Results-First Oil Sample ) 
DD13 Gear Oil Results-First Oil Sample
The results from adding the gear oil to my DD13 are impressive. At first I was going to sample at 12k miles but instead I decided to wait until 15k. The results were good enough that I also went to 20k and pulled another sample but haven't got that one back yet. The first sample below is the current oil sample with the gear oil added. The second is the three samples prior. Of note to me is the soot level which I expected to go up as a result of cleaning out the plugged venturi ports for the EGR delta-p sensor. The second item I noted was a 4 point drop in iron, the copper reading is still at 1, and the other bearing metals have all dropped to 0 (tin, chromium, lead, and aluminum). The five additives on the far right I expected to drop as I had five gallons of Rotella-T in my garage so I used that along with the Rotella-T4. Oxidation, nitration and sulfation all went down. I'm not real sure about those properties and what they represent so if you know, I'd love to know. Also, the viscosity went up which was expected due to the viscosity of the gear oil. All in all, I'm impressed. I've already done another oil change and added the gear oil again. This time I will be going back to 12k mile oil samples and changes. Of particular note to me is that my sodium level came up 2 points so I'll be keeping a close eye on that. BTW, I did NOT baby the engine during this trial. I did stick to my 55-60 mph routine but when it came to climbing hills and mountains it was pedal to the metal, as long as the coolant temp was ok and downshifting accordingly. It is absolutely amazing how much quieter the engine gets when using gear oil. Even my service air compressor was quieter when it was charging the air tanks.

.pdf  173064135_FD07770_D420-48123-0040_NAR.PDF (Size: 153.78 KB / Downloads: 250)

.pdf  3607445_192-OT#192-OT_D430-48068-0649_NAR (2).PDF (Size: 128.6 KB / Downloads: 244)

User's Signature: Dyin' ain't much of a living, driver. Put it down...it can wait.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: schISM , Chamberpains , Rawze , Waterloo , DLC
RE: DD13 Gear Oil Results-First Oil Sample
Sounds almost exactly like every other person I have met that tested this thoroughly. All wear metals essentially went down a bit and everything runs quieter to boot. I have yet to see any measurable negative effects to date on my own engine, got more than a million miles on it.

User's Signature: ->: What I post is just my own thoughts and Opinions! --- I AM Full Of S__T!.
replyreply
What kind gear oil are people running up in Canada?
replyreply
Should I add gear oil before my first start, I'm overhauling the engine and if so what oil is recommended. I'm running lower 48. Thanks
replyreply
(05-24-2018 )a113n Wrote:  Should I add gear oil before my first start, I'm overhauling the engine and if so what oil is recommended. I'm running lower 48. Thanks

I ran it from the start on mine after my inframe.

User's Signature: ->: What I post is just my own thoughts and Opinions! --- I AM Full Of S__T!.
replyreply
(05-24-2018 )Rawze Wrote:  
(05-24-2018 )a113n Wrote:  Should I add gear oil before my first start, I'm overhauling the engine and if so what oil is recommended. I'm running lower 48. Thanks

Should I use whole gallon or half a gallon of gear oil in first 200k-300k miles? Is it better to go with gl-4 or gl-5? I have cm871 inframing it with all oem parts from cummins
replyreply
05-25-2018, (Subject: DD13 Gear Oil Results-First Oil Sample ) 
(05-24-2018 )a113n Wrote:  
(05-24-2018 )Rawze Wrote:  

Should I use whole gallon or half a gallon of gear oil in first 200k-300k miles? Is it better to go with gl-4 or gl-5? I have cm871 inframing it with all oem parts from cummins

I would crank it up with the old oil that came out of it myself,.. then drive it hard about ~ 50 or so miles then have the oil changed and the overhead valves re-adjusted again. Flush out all the crap from the re-build.

replyreply
 Thanks given by: gatow900 , a113n

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.