Here she is, just not running right
08-03-2018, (Subject: Here she is, just not running right ) 
RE: Here she is, just not running right
(08-03-2018 )smorgan87 Wrote:  what section of programming would do that? Timing?

Poor idling due to programming is nothing but sheer ignorance from those big-name custom tuning/delete shop idiots. They edit injector quantity information for fueling, causing a surging/rough idle. The ECM thinks it is putting a lot less fuel in, it surges from the over-fueled condition, then the idle governer backs off fuel to slow engine back down, then the cycle repeats because it is in a state of confusion. It also screws up the ECM's ability to adjust the injectors per cylinder because it slams all the logic to the far left for cylinder compensation, therefore rendering cylinder compensation logic and cylinder balancing way off.

There are other problems it creates like improper fuel-air-mix, improper cylinder pressure compensation, and a cascade of other issues that have nothing whatsoever to do with making any more power, etc. or running the engine correctly for that matter. It is pickup-truck redneck moron idiot tuning at its best, and the sad part is that all the big-name shops do this hack-job kind of programming that is not fit to run a lawnmower.

User's Signature: ->: What I post is just my own thoughts and Opinions! --- I AM Full Of S__T!.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: smorgan87
08-04-2018, (Subject: Here she is, just not running right ) 
What does it run like in the higher rpm's? Have you taken it for any kind of test drive?
Have pulled off and checked all 4 timing and metering actuators and checked them?
Search for and read...
Checking your Metering and Fueling Actuators by Rawze...
03-01-2016, (Subject: Checking your Metering and Fueling Actuators by Rawze... )

Also you may be getting air in the fuel system.

I also notice you have all your piping for your EGR. Has it been blocked off properly so the EGR valve can't come open and allow straight exhaust back in the system? Unilevers will cure your ECM programming but you need to make sure the mechanical side of things are blocked off. Make sure that EGR valve can't open at all or allow any gas by it.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Rawze , Evotrucker
(08-04-2018 )Chamberpains Wrote:  What does it run like in the higher rpm's? Have you taken it for any kind of test drive?
Have pulled off and checked all 4 timing and metering actuators and checked them?
Search for and read...
Checking your Metering and Fueling Actuators by Rawze...
03-01-2016, (Subject: Checking your Metering and Fueling Actuators by Rawze... )

Also you may be getting air in the fuel system.

I also notice you have all your piping for your EGR. Has it been blocked off properly so the EGR valve can't come open and allow straight exhaust back in the system? Unilevers will cure your ECM programming but you need to make sure the mechanical side of things are blocked off. Make sure that EGR valve can't open at all or allow any gas by it.

whats up pains! so i checked all 4 of them and even replaced the middle one. the truck has been demandated and i checked all of the pipping, made sure that they were all blocked of properly, made sure everything is tyt as a cap.

so yesterday i was bleeding the air out of the ifsm and i noticed the last i did it, with in 3 or 4 times of doing my one gallon bottle would get filled up. this time 1/4 of it got filled with the same amount of tries. so maybe that gear pump is going out again? ill have to check that also on monday.

maybe i am getting air in the system? ill go over that on monday also just to make sure.

User's Signature: The creator said " Help your self and I will help you; Protect your self and I will protect you "
replyreply
Back when you 1st joined the forum you had a hard starting problem and you had a shop print out the stored fault codes. I went back and read them and a couple of those codes were mentioned to not be ignored. Could some of these be still acting up? Rawze had mentioned at the time that code 0951 (he said code 0941 but I think it was a mistype) could be caused by fueling and metering actuators or a crank or cam sensor can trip the cylinder imbalance code. I don't know the price of the Crank sensor (located behind the air compressor) or Cam sensor (located just right of the ECM) but it may be worth a swap out just to rule them out. Also at that same time, the shop you had taken it to had stated that a fuel damper was leaking. You had concluded that the fuel pump was causing your hard starting issue. But was that leaking damper ever fixed? Maybe your IFSM is in need of being rebuilt? You do have an 07 so it could be well over due on some attention.

Being your issue cleared up completely on your second video with the change of the Actuator I would be taking a long complete search in that whole system. I wouldn't be suspecting an injector at this time. I would suspect the components before the injectors causing your issue or a faulty sensor. How did you test the Actuators? Did you measure them with a dial indicator as Rawze instructed? He said he had some that had very little play in them but had the worn step in the pin that was causing rough idle and running. I'd imagine this could be very easily over looked.
replyreply
(08-04-2018 )Chamberpains Wrote:  Back when you 1st joined the forum you had a hard starting problem and you had a shop print out the stored fault codes. I went back and read them and a couple of those codes were mentioned to not be ignored. Could some of these be still acting up? Rawze had mentioned at the time that code 0951 (he said code 0941 but I think it was a mistype) could be caused by fueling and metering actuators or a crank or cam sensor can trip the cylinder imbalance code. I don't know the price of the Crank sensor (located behind the air compressor) or Cam sensor (located just right of the ECM) but it may be worth a swap out just to rule them out. Also at that same time, the shop you had taken it to had stated that a fuel damper was leaking. You had concluded that the fuel pump was causing your hard starting issue. But was that leaking damper ever fixed? Maybe your IFSM is in need of being rebuilt? You do have an 07 so it could be well over due on some attention.

Being your issue cleared up completely on your second video with the change of the Actuator I would be taking a long complete search in that whole system. I wouldn't be suspecting an injector at this time. I would suspect the components before the injectors causing your issue or a faulty sensor. How did you test the Actuators? Did you measure them with a dial indicator as Rawze instructed? He said he had some that had very little play in them but had the worn step in the pin that was causing rough idle and running. I'd imagine this could be very easily over looked.

While I had the laptop hooked up, I looked up the active/Inactive codes. Here is a shity pic. Of them.

Attached File(s)Thumbnail(s)

User's Signature: The creator said " Help your self and I will help you; Protect your self and I will protect you "
replyreply
(08-04-2018 )Evotrucker Wrote:  
(08-04-2018 )Chamberpains Wrote:  Back when you 1st joined the forum you had a hard starting problem and you had a shop print out the stored fkault codes. I went back and read them and a couple of those codes were mentioned to not be ignored. Could some of these be still acting up? Rawze had mentioned at the time that code 0951 (he said code 0941 but I think it was a mistype) could be caused by fueling and metering actuators or a crank or cam sensor can trip the cylinder imbalance code. I don't know the price of the Crank sensor (located behind the air compressor) or Cam sensor (located just right of the ECM) but it may be worth a swap out just to rule them out. Also at that same time, the shop you had taken it to had stated that a fuel damper was leaking. You had concluded that the fuel pump was causing your hard starting issue. But was that leaking damper ever fixed? Maybe your IFSM is in need of being rebuilt? You do have an 07 so it could be well over due on some attention.

While I had the laptop hooked up, I looked up the active/Inactive codes. Here is a shity pic. Of them.

My bad I'm adding these photos from my phone and it's hard to do it over the net lol...

Attached File(s)Thumbnail(s)

replyreply
(08-04-2018 )Chamberpains Wrote:  Back when you 1st joined the forum you had a hard starting problem and you had a shop print out the stored fault codes. I went back and read them and a couple of those codes were mentioned to not be ignored. Could some of these be still acting up? Rawze had mentioned at the time that code 0951 (he said code 0941 but I think it was a mistype) could be caused by fueling and metering actuators or a crank or cam sensor can trip the cylinder imbalance code. I don't know the price of the Crank sensor (located behind the air compressor) or Cam sensor (located just right of the ECM) but it may be worth a swap out just to rule them out. Also at that same time, the shop you had taken it to had stated that a fuel damper was leaking. You had concluded that the fuel pump was causing your hard starting issue. But was that leaking damper ever fixed? Maybe your IFSM is in need of being rebuilt? You do have an 07 so it could be well over due on some attention.

so i fixed the dampners and replaced the seals and gaskets n such, easy one took 10 minutes and cost me over 1k in shop fees.

as far as the actuators, i had taken 2 of them of from another ifsm that was in the shop collecting dust. that helped a little but when i came back from my lunch break and turned her on. It started all over again, nothing changed. i moved them around and still nothing. so i changed all of them and still nothing, it was the same. we checked the wires and they are fine, checked if they had any current going trough them and still good.

replyreply
08-07-2018, (Subject: Here she is, just not running right ) 
I see you have fault code 2385 @ 256 counts. With your last codes you posted months ago it didn't show that code. But it did show a very similar code 2384 with 4 counts. Go into Cummins Insite and click the "help" menu and go to "fault tree index" and type in the 2 codes if you haven't already ran down troubleshooting these codes. That control module is VERY temperamental and will cause all kinds of running problems and fuel mileage loss, high EGT's, low boost, fuel knocks, weak ir none existant 3rd stage jakes, all kinds of good things with the cm870's. It is an air operated system after the control module so there is no active feed back if the turbo actuator is in the correct commanded position. Meaning if this leaks air or is faulty in any way, the ECM has no idea where the turbo VG ring is.
Im not saying this is the cause of your rough idle, but it may very well solve some issues that are happening that you may not know about and also save your engine from further abuse and for sure a tortured overheated earlier death.

Make sure you follow the tree for the signature and ISX cm870. The ISM cm870 an cm570 appear to have electronic actuator's that your engine does not have.

Also clear out all those inactive codes now that you are aware of what they were and you have done extensive repairs. Some of them can be caused by what you've done and some can be from past owners problems he may have fixed. Clear them and monitor if any come back.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Evotrucker
08-07-2018, (Subject: Here she is, just not running right ) 
(08-07-2018 )Chamberpains Wrote:  I see you have fault code 2385 @ 256 counts. With your last codes you posted months ago it didn't show that code. But it did show a very similar code 2384 with 4 counts. Go into Cummins Insite and click the "help" menu and go to "fault tree index" and type in the 2 codes if you haven't already ran down troubleshooting these codes. That control module is VERY temperamental and will cause all kinds of running problems and fuel mileage loss, high EGT's, low boost, fuel knocks, weak ir none existant 3rd stage jakes, all kinds of good things with the cm870's. It is an air operated system after the control module so there is no active feed back if the turbo actuator is in the correct commanded position. Meaning if this leaks air or is faulty in any way, the ECM has no idea where the turbo VG ring is.
Im not saying this is the cause of your rough idle, but it may very well solve some issues that are happening that you may not know about and also save your engine from further abuse and for sure a tortured overheated earlier death.

Make sure you follow the tree for the signature and ISX cm870. The ISM cm870 an cm570 appear to have electronic actuator's that your engine does not have.

Also clear out all those inactive codes now that you are aware of what they were and you have done extensive repairs. Some of them can be caused by what you've done and some can be from past owners problems he may have fixed. Clear them and monitor if any come back.

Thanks man, i appreciate you taking the time to guide me trough this and for everyone else as well.

so last friday when i was moving the actuators around on the ifsm, one of the little bolts snapped of into the ifsm ;(.... :/... yesterday i tried to extract it but screwed up n chewed up the housing a little. so the shop owner is giving me a used ifsm housing for $100, isnt to bad in my opinion. just gotta wait for this rain to clear up so i can get back to the truck and work on it.

so ive looked up the the 2 codes and since i dont have that control module? " shouldn't i have it?" could it be the ground that is hooked up to that needs some cleaning? or it could be my entire engine harness needs replacing, which could be a possibilty since it has 1.3 mil miles on it.

replyreply

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.