ISX 435 OIL PSI LOSS
10-09-2018, (Subject: ISX 435 OIL PSI LOSS ) 
ISX 435 OIL PSI LOSS
Hello Rawze world! I've completed a 1 year study of oil pressure loss in my Cummins isx 435. I used Rotella T during all oil changes. I used 3 types of filters during this study. First is the Luber finer filter. I lost oil pressure with this filter around 7500 miles into oil change. I'd use same new filter to finish out my 12000 mile oil change. Then I switched to Fleet guard oil filter this got me about 9500 miles before pressure loss. Then again I used same filter to finish my miles out for next oil change. The best filter I found for this oil pressure loss was the Donaldson. I was able to reach my 12000 mile mark without filter change intermittently. I hope I helped with someone's headache with this common problem with the ISX. Next year I may switch oil and try 3 different filters to find even better solution.
replyreply
RE: ISX 435 OIL PSI LOSS
How 'bought a lil more info. Your Study leaves an aweful lot of unanswered questions, like;

Which version ISX you're running, 870, 871, 2250, 2350?

Has the motor been demandated, and if so what programming are you running?

Do you have any auxiliary oil filtration? i.e. an Amsoil bypass filter or a Spinner II?

When you changed filters, did you pull a sample and check soot levels?
Did you do samples at 12k miles when you changed crankcase oil?
When you changed crankcase oil, what was the oil pressure with new oil and filters? What did it drop to when you determined to change filters? What did the oil pressure increase to after changing filters, but not crankcase oil?

Through all of this, what kind of average torque load was the engine under? As in, what sort of GVW were you typically running, and what was your average fuel economy during this Study?

User's Signature: Why? Why do I always ask "why?" Because I can't learn or help teach others with "'cause I said so..."
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Chamberpains , Waterloo
(10-09-2018 )Joelbe Wrote:  Hello Rawze world! I've completed a 1 year study of oil pressure loss in my Cummins isx 435. I used Rotella T during all oil changes. I used 3 types of filters during this study. First is the Luber finer filter. I lost oil pressure with this filter around 7500 miles into oil change. I'd use same new filter to finish out my 12000 mile oil change. Then I switched to Fleet guard oil filter this got me about 9500 miles before pressure loss. Then again I used same filter to finish my miles out for next oil change. The best filter I found for this oil pressure loss was the Donaldson. I was able to reach my 12000 mile mark without filter change intermittently. I hope I helped with someone's headache with this common problem with the ISX. Next year I may switch oil and try 3 different filters to find even better solution.

I will assume this is not an advertisement for the moment, though is suspicious looking. anyways, how about

FIXING THE SOOT PROBLEMS AND MAKE THE ENIGNE RUN RIGHT INSTEAD OF TRYING TO BANDAIDE THE THING!!!!!!!!!!!!!

YOUR "STUDY" MUST NOT HAVE INCLUDED ACTUALLY FIXING THE DAMN ENGINE PROBLEMS -- BUT TRYING TO MASK THEM INSTEAD --- WAKE UP!!! -- IT IS NOT NORMAL AT ALL, NOT ONE DAMN BIT FOR AN ISX TO PLUG OIL FILTERS LIKE THAT!!! -- SOMETHING IS WRONG WITH THE ENGINE!!!

User's Signature: ->: What I post is just my own thoughts and Opinions! --- I AM Full Of S__T!.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Hammerhead , Chamberpains , Waterloo
I can't help but wonder what the 7500 mile filter is catching that the Donaldson is passing through to the critical components....
replyreply
 Thanks given by: redbeard , Moose , Chamberpains , snailexpress , Signature620 , Waterloo
Rawze.. No advertisement! Just tried this to find out what would work best! I sent sample to Donaldson with no response! They either lost or don't care about the little guy! My mechanic and I are thinking high soot level! Where is the most common place for this mixture to happen?
replyreply
(10-09-2018 )Joelbe Wrote:  Rawze.. No advertisement! Just tried this to find out what would work best! I sent sample to Donaldson with no response! They either lost or don't care about the little guy! My mechanic and I are thinking high soot level! Where is the most common place for this mixture to happen?

Uh, obvious.
Soot is the residual byproduct formed from burning hydrocarbons.
Excessive soot is caused by mixing EGR gasses with fresh air to lower the fraction of oxygen (fO2) in the combustion chamber charge gas mix, which lowers combustion temperature, thereby reducing NOx gas production.
The excessive soot bypasses the cylinder rings during compression stroke due to the ever increasing static compression ratios as the ISX has developed. 871 is higher than the 870. The 2250 is higher than the 871. The 2350 is higher than the 2250, etc.

It's a simple formula, burning diesel creates soot.
The higher the combustion temperature, and the more volitile the combustion is, the more BTU's that are released resulting in more thermal expansion. This means more power, and more efficient use of a volume of fuel. The more optimal you make the fuel to air ratio, the less soot you produce.
However, the higher the combustion temperature, the higher the quantity of NOx gases produced, and Cali has declared NOx to be a carcinogen, so to save the world we have to eliminate NOx production.
The easiest way to reduce NOx gas production is to reduce combustion temperature. Since an internal combustion engine is nothing more than a self propelled air pump that produces a byproduct of inert gas (exhaust gas is oxygen depleted), they decided to introduce a certain volume of this inert gas to reduce the fO2 and reduce the NOx gas!
Wonderful! We've solved the NOx gas problem...
Oh sh!t!
Now that we've reduced the combustion temperature and have gone away from optimal f/a ratios, we've inadvertently increased soot production. What do we do with that? I know! Let's put it into the oil, that solves everything!

Oh the irony...

btw; if your mechanic doesn't understand this, he's not a mechanic, he's a parts replacer!
This isn't even combustion theory 101, this is combustion theory 1

User's Signature: Why? Why do I always ask "why?" Because I can't learn or help teach others with "'cause I said so..."
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Chamberpains , schISM , Waterloo , rrod
excess soot problems are solved by ....
http://rawze.com/forums/showthread.php?tid=7&pid=9#pid9

and...
http://rawze.com/forums/showthread.php?t...92#pid7092

and...
http://rawze.com/forums/showthread.php?t...89#pid7489

and...
http://rawze.com/forums/showthread.php?t...69#pid9269

and...
http://rawze.com/forums/showthread.php?t...96#pid9296

and...
http://rawze.com/forums/showthread.php?t...7#pid17097

I am sure there are more. Those just came up in a search.

User's Signature: ->: What I post is just my own thoughts and Opinions! --- I AM Full Of S__T!.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Chamberpains
10-10-2018, (Subject: ISX 435 OIL PSI LOSS ) 
Thanks Rawze.. I always told my wife, Rawze is my hero!! If i lived in Georgia my truck would be with him..I tell everyone to check your you tube videos out!! Question for you? I'm noticing discoloration in my water fuel separator.. its black. Filter is making the 12000 mile oil change. But full. Could this be Algae? FYI.. I'm using a oil analysis co that guarantees me they wont let me down!! We shall see!
replyreply
10-10-2018, (Subject: ISX 435 OIL PSI LOSS ) 
(10-10-2018 )Joelbe Wrote:  Thanks Rawze.. I always told my wife, Rawze is my hero!! If i lived in Georgia my truck would be with him..I tell everyone to check your you tube videos out!! Question for you? I'm noticing discoloration in my water fuel separator.. its black. Filter is making the 12000 mile oil change. But full. Could this be Algae? FYI.. I'm using a oil analysis co that guarantees me they wont let me down!! We shall see!

send a fuel sample off to a lab and they could likely tell you what it is. - Maybe also do an injector leak-down and ensure you don't have leaky injectors. towards solving soot problems.

It is normal for the filter in the fuel-water separator to turn black, not sure if that is what you are referring to. They turn black from ashphaltine deposits, especially on the 870/871's due to the high compression of bio-fuels, then re-circulating it back to the tanks after its use as a hydraulic fluid. I recommend people use a 10-micron filter to keep it at bay and out of the tanks.

replyreply

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.