I had a new Turbo installed... And made a discovery
04-30-2016, (Subject: I had a new Turbo installed... And made a discovery ) 
RE: I had a new Turbo installed... And made a discovery
good luck!!! happy trucking!!
replyreply
(04-30-2016 )Rig Wrench Wrote:  561 is slightly smaller. Seen on nore mid level hp cpls. Usually the 551 is on 550-600 hp models. Every big hoid truck ive seen with a 550 and up has had the 551. Trucks with smalker charge air coolers i believe tend to use the 561 for same hp rating.
Just what ive seen. Dunno how much truth there is to it

Well, I have a factory 600hp, do I need to the 551 if I want to run the full 600hp? Am I losing anything or hurting anything? I don't want to dump all of this money in and be short changed or just flat out get the wrong part. Cummins Quickserve calls for the 551, looks like they screwed up and installed the wrong turbo, this is the turbo I need 4309078RX ... I was almost there...
replyreply
My old motor, which was rated 550 on the block.. 600 on quickserve?? Never could figure out why, anyways it had the 561 model, and the Pete's and KW got big CAC... If that helps any, I think in practical terms you won't see a difference as I'm sure you don't plan driving it full tilt balls to da wall. It will still make the power, even the small turbo can do it just with a trade-off being back pressure/heat.
replyreply
05-01-2016, (Subject: I had a new Turbo installed... And made a discovery ) 
(04-30-2016 )bazdan902 Wrote:  My old motor, which was rated 550 on the block.. 600 on quickserve?? Never could figure out why, anyways it had the 561 model, and the Pete's and KW got big CAC... If that helps any, I think in practical terms you won't see a difference as I'm sure you don't plan driving it full tilt balls to da wall. It will still make the power, even the small turbo can do it just with a trade-off being back pressure/heat.

I went to the Holset site, and they don't even have the 561 listed. I know on quick serve it calls for the 551. It just pisses me off that the guy ordering the parts could screw this up. And no, I'm not going to be running her hard, I have her turned back to 485, which is plenty for what I am doing now. Just concerned that if a time comes and I need to turn her back up to 600 will I be doing any harm to the motor? And then I have my mm tune to my cpl. This is not the turbo that as far as I know the cpl calls for. If it will work, and not run rich or lean and can be mapped in properly I will leave it on. If it is going to be a headache, we need the correct Turbo. Need a solid answer, especially in regards to the MM
replyreply
honestly, if it was my truck i would force em to put the 551 on there. they screwed it up not you and the 551 is the bigger turbo and can support more power and flow more air safely.

also the charge flow system and cal must match to get peak efficiency - not so much when mandate removed but it still wont be 100% right when mixing turbos.

if you had a 551 on it and you went to a 561 the cal will have to be adjusted.
replyreply
(05-01-2016 )Unilevers Wrote:  honestly, if it was my truck i would force em to put the 551 on there. they screwed it up not you and the 551 is the bigger turbo and can support more power and flow more air safely.

also the charge flow system and cal must match to get peak efficiency - not so much when mandate removed but it still wont be 100% right when mixing turbos.

if you had a 551 on it and you went to a 561 the cal will have to be adjusted.

That is what I thought, and the 561 does not match my CPL or charger. I'll get her taken off and replaced with the correct one. I was up to 2 or 3 this morning researching this. Thanks Unilever!
replyreply
05-02-2016, (Subject: I had a new Turbo installed... And made a discovery ) 
Went to the dealer this morning... The parts man disagreed with me and the mechanic and the service writer... I called Cummins and fixed things. The parts man transposed my Engine Identification Number... New Turbo will be here tomorrow. I am a happy camper now, parts man eating crow. Just need to get the damn truck back! OY!
replyreply
05-02-2016, (Subject: I had a new Turbo installed... And made a discovery ) 
Attaboy!!

User's Signature: 36-25-34
replyreply
05-03-2016, (Subject: I had a new Turbo installed... And made a discovery ) 
(05-02-2016 )trucklogger2 Wrote:  Attaboy!!

LOL! What a NIGHTMARE! The parts man was fighting me tooth and nail on this... BUT! I call Cummins allot too, and they know me, my truck and HIM... All it took was a phone call, get that Turbo off of that man's truck! LOL!
replyreply

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.