Best day cab a local owner operator should get??
02-07-2019, (Subject: Best day cab a local owner operator should get?? ) 
RE: Best day cab a local owner operator should get??
(02-06-2019 )Jeo123 Wrote:  
(02-06-2019 )Waterloo Wrote:  I would stay away from an auto, the guys that I personally know, that do drive them locally hate them. Very little control in reverse, especially on ice, tend to slam the docks.

Freightliner, they are what they are. We had them up in ND, always breaking down, model years 2011 to 2015. We had five of them, and only one was ever in service due to issues, mainly electrical and emission related. Fix one and the running one would break... Never failed, went for over a year like this, these were Penske rentals. Ryder had same issues up here in Detroit with their day cabs. The guys I worked with at Ryder are always complaining about the new trucks, they missed their old buckets of bolts that worked when you turned the key. Just my .02

so in your opinion as far a daycab goes, what do you think would work best for my situation as far as day cabs go....i had someone actually advise me to get a 2007 freightliner Colombia....he said it was easy to fix and had minimal major issues that was hard to fix...but of course buying a truck is like having surgery.....always need more than one opinion lol....

2007 is a no brainer in my book, your friend is wise. That is the tractor that the guys that have the new ones are bitching about no longer being able to drive. Put the key in and go.
replyreply
The most important consideration in truck repair is what does the local parts houses stock the most parts for and just not the dealer what is the most prevalent truck in the area, don't buy a Pete if everyone else has a Mack, what do the local dirt haulers and mixers run they are hard on them and have to repair them all the time. the motor should also be common for the area.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: redbeard
(02-06-2019 )Lonestar10 Wrote:  the newer autos now have a creep mode for reverse but older autos are a bitch in reverse especially with age and wear and at 25k ied be looking for something with a 10sp and if your not running highway speed all the time some shorter rear end gears will help if you spend alot at highway speeds then some taller gears.

Thanks for the info!!! So basically it doesn’t matter the truck it matters the engine etc?
replyreply
(02-07-2019 )Jeo123 Wrote:  
(02-06-2019 )Lonestar10 Wrote:  the newer autos now have a creep mode for reverse but older autos are a bitch in reverse especially with age and wear and at 25k ied be looking for something with a 10sp and if your not running highway speed all the time some shorter rear end gears will help if you spend alot at highway speeds then some taller gears.

Thanks for the info!!! So basically it doesn’t matter the truck it matters the engine etc?

Yes, you are buying a drivetrain. You need something that is reliable and when it breaks, and they all do, you need parts. If you have a FleetPride parts store nearby that is a good thing, or other such parts supplier, including a good big truck junk yard. What do the other local outfits drive? Like was asked earlier, is it heavy Freightliner, Mack, Pete, etc. Freightliner and International are the big ones here in the Detroit area. The Petes and KW's are normally pulling buckets or construction related stuff.

The emission trucks don't get to idle up here, you hit the dock they are turned off unless it is brutally cold. Pretty much company policy everywhere I go. That is a big part of the reason the guys with the newer Ryder trucks (Freightliner) in my mind have so many issues, they rarely get a good full regeneration in. It is not uncommon in the winter to have them broke down in the dock. Well, anytime really, it is just worse in the winter. And the fact that many of these new trucks do not have a fuel return to the tanks to keep the fuel warm. Gelling is an issue too, lots of additives required in the winter, and I have no clue if that damages the emissions.

You have a bit to think about, the old days of buying a truck and going to work are long gone.

If you are set on a day cab, call around to Ryder and Penske and see if they have one of those reliable non emission trucks for sale with some decent service history that has not been beat to death.

On edit: Keep in mind that many day cabs have the smaller 12 and 13 liter, or smaller motors. That is not a bad thing in some cases. They are working harder than the 15 liter motors most of us drive. I am sure that has something to do with the issues I see Ryder and Penske having with their fleet trucks.
replyreply
02-08-2019, (Subject: Best day cab a local owner operator should get?? ) 
(02-07-2019 )Waterloo Wrote:  
(02-06-2019 )Jeo123 Wrote:  
(02-06-2019 )Waterloo Wrote:  I would stay away from an auto, the guys that I personally know, that do drive them locally hate them. Very little control in reverse, especially on ice, tend to slam the docks.

Freightliner, they are what they are. We had them up in ND, always breaking down, model years 2011 to 2015. We had five of them, and only one was ever in service due to issues, mainly electrical and emission related. Fix one and the running one would break... Never failed, went for over a year like this, these were Penske rentals. Ryder had same issues up here in Detroit with their day cabs. The guys I worked with at Ryder are always complaining about the new trucks, they missed their old buckets of bolts that worked when you turned the key. Just my .02

so in your opinion as far a daycab goes, what do you think would work best for my situation as far as day cabs go....i had someone actually advise me to get a 2007 freightliner Colombia....he said it was easy to fix and had minimal major issues that was hard to fix...but of course buying a truck is like having surgery.....always need more than one opinion lol....

2007 is a no brainer in my book, your friend is wise. That is the tractor that the guys that have the new ones are bitching about no longer being able to drive. Put the key in and go.

Yea he’s actually a diesel mechanic ..... I’ve been shopping Around but of course these dealers will tell you anything to make a sale....are internationals and freightliners the same kind of truck? I’m wondering why internationals are so much cheaper
replyreply
(02-07-2019 )arch_stanton Wrote:  The most important consideration in truck repair is what does the local parts houses stock the most parts for and just not the dealer what is the most prevalent truck in the area, don't buy a Pete if everyone else has a Mack, what do the local dirt haulers and mixers run they are hard on them and have to repair them all the time. the motor should also be common for the area.

Around where I’m at there’s a variety of trucks because we have access to pretty much every truck that people choose to buy...that’s why I’m like all over the place with what to buy I’m stuck
replyreply
(02-07-2019 )Waterloo Wrote:  
(02-07-2019 )Jeo123 Wrote:  

Yes, you are buying a drivetrain. You need something that is reliable and when it breaks, and they all do, you need parts. If you have a FleetPride parts store nearby that is a good thing, or other such parts supplier, including a good big truck junk yard. What do the other local outfits drive? Like was asked earlier, is it heavy Freightliner, Mack, Pete, etc. Freightliner and International are the big ones here in the Detroit area. The Petes and KW's are normally pulling buckets or construction related stuff.

The emission trucks don't get to idle up here, you hit the dock they are turned off unless it is brutally cold. Pretty much company policy everywhere I go. That is a big part of the reason the guys with the newer Ryder trucks (Freightliner) in my mind have so many issues, they rarely get a good full regeneration in. It is not uncommon in the winter to have them broke down in the dock. Well, anytime really, it is just worse in the winter. And the fact that many of these new trucks do not have a fuel return to the tanks to keep the fuel warm. Gelling is an issue too, lots of additives required in the winter, and I have no clue if that damages the emissions.

You have a bit to think about, the old days of buying a truck and going to work are long gone.

If you are set on a day cab, call around to Ryder and Penske and see if they have one of those reliable non emission trucks for sale with some decent service history that has not been beat to death.

On edit: Keep in mind that many day cabs have the smaller 12 and 13 liter, or smaller motors. That is not a bad thing in some cases. They are working harder than the 15 liter motors most of us drive. I am sure that has something to do with the issues I see Ryder and Penske having with their fleet trucks.

Ok so let me give you some senarios::::

- hauling dry freight that’s almost never more 25000-30000
- 300-320 miles per day
- very good mechanic available
- mon-Friday work, mostly highway mileage

What day cab would you pick for this type of situation ?
replyreply

Ok so which truck would you go with if you were in my situation and why? I’m super appreciative of the feedback & super curious to learn why
replyreply
Why are international trucks so cheap....well when you mention international the 1st thing that comes to mind is maxxforce. That engine alone almost broke them. They are still trying to improve their image after that fiasco.
replyreply

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.