New CPL# for rebuild
02-22-2019, (Subject: New CPL# for rebuild ) 
RE: New CPL# for rebuild
(02-22-2019 )redbeard Wrote:  
(02-22-2019 )Magard Wrote:  It has a rebuilt serial number and when I talk to local Cummins they say it’s theres by the serial number. It’s in quick serve with all the parts that we’re put in at the rebuild. I just dropped it. Demandated engine. I just took it as a $25000 education and moved on. I just want people to know that you can get really screwed thinking Cummins is reputable and there for there costumers. I will never by a Cummins reman agian that’s for sure. Far as motors go. We don’t have a lot of options. My machanic buddy that’s helping me with the rebuild says he’s been doing a lot of dd-15 right now. 5 or 6 hundred thousand they blow. Probably no matainance on bottom end and extended oil service.
I thought before all this if I bought Cummins reman it must be good. Built by the company that designed the motor. You would think that they would want to protect there reputation. Not.

These are the stories that bring up my blood pressure. Good people trying to do the right thing for the right reason only get screwed in the end.

I feel more than ever that this industry is aimed at the big trucking companies exchanging their trucks at 300,000 miles and bringing in new equipment, new taxes, and supporting the “machine”. Us little guys have to become even smarter, stronger and darn right lucky in order to survive.

Thank you Rawze for the opportunity to stay ahead in this game we base our livelihood on, please keep fighting the fight, we need you!

Spot on, and AMEN!
replyreply
02-26-2019, (Subject: New CPL# for rebuild ) 
Rawze I got ahold of Mr. Haggi ( I hope I spelled that right) and got some good information and so very near future help from him. And he was very addiment about counter boring the block and liner protrusion. My problem is my mechanic is 100% sure my block needs no machine work. He showed me the seats for the liners and said they are fine but I might as well be looking at the inside of a brain I don’t know what to look for. This guy has been rebuilding Cummins and Cats for 25 years and that’s all he does and everyone says he knows what he is doing but I’m kinda worried about not counter boring the cylinders!

Am I being to anel and demand the machine work or trust this guy??

Also huge shout out to Mr. Haggi!!! It’s about 600 miles from home to his shop but he is my engine guy from here out!!!
replyreply
(02-26-2019 )NoTime Wrote:  Rawze I got ahold of Mr. Haggi ( I hope I spelled that right) and got some good information and so very near future help from him. And he was very addiment about counter boring the block and liner protrusion. My problem is my mechanic is 100% sure my block needs no machine work. He showed me the seats for the liners and said they are fine but I might as well be looking at the inside of a brain I don’t know what to look for. This guy has been rebuilding Cummins and Cats for 25 years and that’s all he does and everyone says he knows what he is doing but I’m kinda worried about not counter boring the cylinders!

Am I being to anel and demand the machine work or trust this guy??

Also huge shout out to Mr. Haggi!!! It’s about 600 miles from home to his shop but he is my engine guy from here out!!!

You can do what you want to, its your livelihood your pissing around with there,... All I know is that if it were my own truck, It would not be up for discussion. even if it were a brand spanking new short-block,. I would have pulled it apart and counter-bore to set the liners to 0.014" (or 0.015" if big HP ). Aren't you paying them?

- That is the problem with mechanics who do things for 25+ years,.. They are generally arrogant, stubborn, and don't want to do anything outside of the little box of thinking they have cornered themselves into by living in the past. makes me wonder what else they don;t do correctly, as it is even more common for mechanics to have many other bad habbits and mis-conceptions after doing such tings for so long.

- no wonder they have problems with ISX engines,.. They apparently don't know how to build one up right, the people they are using for programming are horrible, and the list of foreseen problems is starting to get long real fast over there it seems. - how many times have they torqued a head and let sit as mentioned above, then re-torqued the next day? -- have they ever?

- Are they using an impact on that final 90-degrees on the head too? -- I would bet so. --- (*rawze(me) shakes head*)

25+ years and an argument about such things points right to a big red flag to me as it screams they likely have a LOT of other bad habits to go with their apparent short-sighted knowledge of newer style red ISX engines and their higher compression requirements.

I would not trust them to hold a screwdriver if that is the case. Sounds like they are the typical shop I would tell people to run from like hell.

===========

You say the engine failed due to carbon packing and not a head gasket failure. In that case, it may very well be that there is no visible liner fretting signs yet, but I guarantee it will not last a million miles the second time around if you don't counter-bore it. You would be lucky to get 300-400k more maybe. Expecting it to last another million would be like claiming you could go 1.6 million at 500+(or600+)hp without any fretting,.. good luck with that, I want some of what the guy is smoking so that I can live in that pipe dream utopia of ignorance too.

Are you building it into a 300k mile engine (considering the ~600k on it already and it not machined)? -- or a million mile engine? -- That is the difference.

User's Signature: ->: What I post is just my own thoughts and Opinions! --- I AM Full Of S__T!.
replyreply
if you were told him you wanted them cut to 14 thou no matter what and he refused pack that shi#t up and get it out of there. ANYONE who does any amount of cummins work knows it is their weak spot and to automatically cut them if the head is off. If they measured 12.5 I WOULD STILL CUT THEM. Is your 25 year master mechanic going to stand behind it when it shits a head gasket 8 months into this inframe and needs all new liners and head and gasket kit etc again? ask him that question.

I foresee head problems in your future.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Rawze , DSTdriver
Pretty serious information buy two gurus that only want the best for us to succeed. Enough said.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: LargeCar , DSTdriver
02-27-2019, (Subject: New CPL# for rebuild ) 
The tool used to cut the counterbore's is quite expensive, I'm willing to bet that your guy doesn't even own one. If that's the case I would take it somewhere else. If he does own one, he shouldn't be fighting you on cutting them, your the customer right?

User's Signature: im_seeing_parameters_in_my_sleep 1
replyreply
Well it’s unfortunate we can’t trust mechanics these days but I’m going to go to shop and demand a counter bore or it’s getting towed to Atlanta.

Just really upsetting the money we put out and seems to only be a handful of people that want to see you get a good return on your investment or as Rawze says they really are full of themselves. Either way bad for us
replyreply
(02-27-2019 )NoTime Wrote:  Well it’s unfortunate we can’t trust mechanics these days but I’m going to go to shop and demand a counter bore or it’s getting towed to Atlanta.

Just really upsetting the money we put out and seems to only be a handful of people that want to see you get a good return on your investment or as Rawze says they really are full of themselves. Either way bad for us

I think it sucks personally. The few guys who I could say does it right are too few and are already swamped to the bone with work. You would think more repair shops would be wanting to get on the bandwagon of getting extra education on this stuff and doing things to high standards, but they only want to be arrogant instead.

User's Signature: ->: What I post is just my own thoughts and Opinions! --- I AM Full Of S__T!.
replyreply
02-28-2019, (Subject: New CPL# for rebuild ) 
I highly doubt anyone can see a couple thou by eye...only sure way is to set the new liners and press them into the block with a liner press then measure them eith a dial indicator....just looking into a block and saying thats good just wont cut it in todays high tolerance engines.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: snailexpress

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.