Driving lights
02-26-2019, (Subject: Driving lights ) 
RE: Driving lights
I'm just looking to try to combat the thick fog I'm forced to drive thru.. think I will install some quality (properly aimed) fog lights. Thanks for all the comments...hmmmm
replyreply
Hahaha. I guess we really didn't give much constructive advice for installing good lighting for a guy that may run in an area where fog is a constant.
I've never ran fog lights on any vehicle I've had. All the times I've driven with extra lighting it's always been best to drive with just the low beams on and slow down. Any more lighting and it starts to flood the fog, snow or rain and starts to become either blinding or I get to focused on the road to close to the front of the vehicle and lose focus down road where I need the awareness.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Waterloo
They should ban them on all cars and pickup trucks too. They blind
Me when I drive. The driver just goes faster because they think they
Can see the road better. If your eyes are that bad you had better
Stick to daytime driving . Just my opinion .
replyreply
Issue is DOT doesn't enforce the regulations...if they did none of these aftermarket light kits would pass an inspection. All lights on a semi must have the dot approval...the ones that do have dot on the lens...
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Rawze
I used to live in south florida back before all the concrete jungle it has become. thick heavy fog at night was the norm, not the exception.

I used to get off work at midnight every night and have to make a long drive at 1:00 a.m.+ in the dense fog. -- You had better believe I learned what fog lights were, how to use them and what they do for someone who has to drive in heavy fog all the time. here is what i learned a long time ago about this...

first of all,.. headlights are useless in heavy fog. Even more useless if they are bright.

Next, fog lights are just as useless unless they have been installed exactly right. The Lenses have to be hugging the ground (like only 6 inches or so), just above the pavement. they also have to point straight forward/only very slightly downward and have to have a very narrow up/down beam pattern. -- I see very few actual fog lights designed this way these days,,.. most of them are nothing but decoration and bragging rights to how bright you can blind other drivers,.. they are not actual fog lights with an actual narrow-beam grill in the front of them.

-- This dictates to me anyways that anything you put on your truck, unless you mount them really low to the ground,.. really low... are going to be nothing but an annoyance for other drivers and not very helpful at all in dense fog. They also need vanes/grill in the front of the lens them to make the beam very narrow and stay hugging the ground, under the layer of fog. Almost no one makes them like this any more, it is a shame as to what these companies are claiming what fog lights are.

I had lights like this on my car ('77 nova + super-charged 350chevy+hg rears+1:1 drive-train lockup in a 2-speed racing tranny) for many years,.. and it saved my bacon more than a few times from hitting deer at 110+ mph at 3:am many a nights in dense fog. -- I used to be a real speed demon back in the day. Turning on those low hanging fog lights and turning off the headlights was usually the most effective on nights where it got real bad.

User's Signature: ->: What I post is just my own thoughts and Opinions! --- I AM Full Of S__T!.
replyreply

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.