Big rig questions
03-06-2019, (Subject: Big rig questions ) 
RE: Big rig questions
As sad as it is my state will also allow for a class 7 or 8 truck to be registered as an RV and not need a special drivers license.
replyreply
Damn, the great Commonwealth of PA has 25 weight classes. My chevy 2500hd pickup truck is class 3 and my big rig being class 25. RV's i know nothing about when it comes to registering. We also have state inspections on all vehicles and most trailers and pull behinds. So we gotta figure out the laden weight with what you plan to pull to get you in the right weight class. Its always a mess transferring something from out of state. Like trailers and atv's (yup, gotta register them too) because PA also requires a title on everything and some states don't title certain vehicles so PA has to go thru the process of reconstruction titles to give a none title vehicle a title. Just some of the games you may run across if your state has such laws.
replyreply
thats probably true but if you ask me anyone who drives a full size RV or Semi hooked to a camper and have Hydraulic and Air brakes should be required to have a Class A license to many people bring these huge beasts out on the road and cant drive the size and wind up getting in accidents and killing other people because they think they can drive em like a car.
replyreply
./uploads/201903/post_3938_1551926406_c70ea39d4baaf5a70b6226e0461f885d.png
If only I had the money lol
replyreply
I agree and for the record I do have a class B with airbreaks. I don't think many on this form would argue the dangers of a glass A vehicle in the hands of less then class A DL holders. I am wondering what motor would you recommend maybe how many miles is to many? How can I go about getting a good truck what to look for and from who? Anything you maybe able to offer. Also I am wanting a sleeper cab.
replyreply
03-07-2019, (Subject: Big rig questions ) 
I honestly wouldnt look at a semi for a camper puller not because the license thing but because to repair vs a F550-650-750 type truck the repairs/preventive maintenance/wear items are way higher in price tags that those type of trucks.

1 Tire - 400-600 if you get a single rear axle thats sill 1600-2400 dollars for a set of drive tires and 1200-1300 for a set of 2 steer tires.

Engine Parts - Turbo - 2500-5000 dollars, injectors 500-800 each, oil changes 280-400, air bags - 50-150 each, batteries 150-200 x 4, brakes....havent had to do em yet dont know price, air dryer maint 50-200, air line maintenance from leaks...endless

all in all its 10x harder to keep a good safe running semi on the road. than a pickup based heavy duty 550-up. and honestly i havent seen a camper yet that a well serviced and taken care of F-350, Ram 3500, K3500 cant pull with ease. besides that 12v cummins should feel like the trailer fell off even if you were dragging a house behind you the engine lives forever and can surive a healthy upping in power.

and either turn that autocorrect off or drop the diesel noobness its cummins not cummings ;p "poke poke"
replyreply
Trucks like this 25-35k pull a house low miles less expensive parts and less parts in general to break.
https://www.commercialtrucktrader.com/li...5004671141

you will spend the same are or more to get a truck that will give you years of faithful service. but you might also spend 30-50k on a semi that someone will say "Runs Great" and 1500 miles later it throws a rod through the block and your looking at another 25-35k to replace the engine.

so ya a semi to pull the family camper sounds cool...but in reality vs say the truck in the add it can nickle and dime but a semi can take your left nut this week right nut next week and both legs the week after that.
replyreply
I think you missed the part where he wanted to fit his family comfortably. A Kenworth mid roof (maybe a t600 or t660) with a studio sleeper and fold up bed would supply a descent safe place for kids to buckle in and still have room. Most people don't put anywhere near the wear and tear on a rig pulling a camper compared to commercial use. So you wouldn't be replacing tires or breaks or a lot of components because they don't see the severe service of commercial hauling. The engine wouldn't see any strain at all because it would be under worked so oil changes could go out further. I would definitely stay away from the new systems because they need to be worked a little in order for the emissions to regen and clean themselves. They would be an absolute nightmare in your situation.

You asked what high mileage is on a commercial truck. well that all depends. If you take really good care of them I have seen guys put 2,3 and 4 million miles on their truck before they retire them. For the mass majority of them though, around a million miles guys have completely trashed them. You just have to know what you're looking for.
replyreply
This is why I am asking you guys your opinions. I expect I will put 20k miles on this in a few years and sell it. I want to tow my 5th wheel at 16-18k around the US maybe Canada Alaska. If I put that kind of miles on a normal truck pulling over GVWR I am sure it won't go over well. I am sure I will break down. Once I get done with that I will use my normal truck for short weekend truck.
replyreply

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.