Fuel cards
05-19-2016, (Subject: Fuel cards ) 
Fuel cards
I'm trying to get some feedback from you drivers on Fleet one fuel card.
I'm joining NASTC and they offer a very good discount program with Fleet One.
Here's the kicker,membership is $250.00 plus Fleet One has a $50.00 one time fee.
Anyone out there have any feedback I appreciate .
Oh and a monthly fee of $3.95
I currently just pay cash , but the discounts there showing are pretty good.[/php]

Attached File(s)
.pdf  nastcweeklypriceanalysis.pdf (Size: 131.1 KB / Downloads: 112)
replyreply
RE: Fuel cards
It shows average discount. How much of a discount are you actually going to get? At the discounts they are showing, it wouldn't take no time to recover the fees you pay.
replyreply
I have it. We use it a ton. 13 trucks-- 9 are over the road and use that card. When prices are on the rise I have saved 1.40 on pump price. They are pretty stable right now but when they rise it's nice. Maybe I'm grandfathered in because I don't pay a monthly fee? Either way I thinks it's worth it.
replyreply
05-20-2016, (Subject: Fuel cards ) 
I'll tell you my thoughts good and bad.

The Bad:

To ascertain the NASTC FLEETONE fuel card I had to go to Nashville TN and take a class. The class is always on Friday if I remember correctly and very quickly all the seats for the class become "reserved".

The class highlighted many problems for owner operators and Carriers in the trucking business. NASTC will try to sell you services to meet those challenges in the trucking business and lay claims that their services and products will save you money.

It felt similar to stories I heard of people getting free tickets to Disney World if they suffer through a real estate offer for property for sell in Florida... before finally getting the free tickets. That's not a perfect description but that's the best I can describe for you to provide an idea of how it relates. I suffered through hearing about lots of stuff all day long that I don't need at the moment, just to fill out an app for a fuel card.

If your an owner operator your going to offered their service to get you started on your Own Authority.

The class was $250, an additional day of class for Drug and Alcohol testing training is offered the next day too. If you tell the representatives you want the fuel card they will forward your $250 for class over to fund your membership costs.

They charge everybody $50 to activate your fuel card account.

It costs me additional money the first year of owning the fuel card because I had to pay hotel, food and trip expenses to go to Nashville to take the class.

The fuel card only provides discounts at certain diesel truck stops. The Flying J and Pilot and Loves truck stops are not in the network for discounts.

If you buy diesel fuel at any Truckstop that is not in the network, there is no discount and you are charged $2.00 for that transaction.

If you go to a T/A or Petro to buy tires and ask for a discount because your a NASTC member your discount is no different than an OOIDA discount or any other bullshit discount (very little).

About once or twice a month I receive emails declaring some truck stop should be deleted from my handbook; to go purchase diesel fuel from [because the business stopped giving discounts or went out of business].

Here's The Good:

I haven't seen the regular FLEETONE fuel card or any other fuel card yet that beat the NASTC FLEETONE fuel card in discounts.

I am not charged any monthly fees.

I can do all the same stuff with my fuel card as other fuel card providers do. Such as: Buy additional products, cash advance and etc.

The fuel card also works like a regular ATM debit/credit card at ATMs. Online settings to cap the maximum amounts for various services on the card are easy to work with.

The fuel card works for the T/As, Petros, Speedway truck stops, Wilco, some Hess, and many privately owned small family truck stops.

You have several days before you payback the fuel charge each time you charge a fuel purchase, I think it's 10 days. I never go more than 3-4 days and pay the transaction back.

I have received good customer service from NASTC and FLEETONE when calling them on the phone and asking questions. Never been disappointed yet.

When completing the class (that I hated) I was surprised that I ended up gaining some free information on how to lower my Trucking company insurance yearly costs. Find better brokers to deal with that have better ratings.

I don't want to go back through that class ever again, but if I had to I would do it. My total weekly savings on fuel is different each week, because I am in different states and cities getting fuel. But I save anywhere from $50 - $250, per truck per week. Just depends if I only haul 2 loads or more per truck.

The bigger discounts are less often, but no matter what the discount is it is direct savings at the time of purchase and not a rewards crap that you pay full price up front and then at the end of the month get the fuel rewards "totaled up" and added to your card for using later.

The moment you finish pumping the fuel you will not see the discount. That total on the store receipt will list an un-discounted price. So the first time you pump fuel and sign the receipt you'll probably be mad as hell that there is no discount printed on the receipt. But like I said, the next day you'll get the real invoice emailed to you showing the actual price to pay and you'll see your discount.

I think for people who have just started a brand new trucking business and not having a good business credit score rating yet; they can still get a fuel card for you, but you have to load it first with funds. Been a long time since I heard the information so a new person in the trucking business that is interested in that... needs to ask a NASTC rep about information on that.

If you sign up for the class you can drive your truck and trailer to the class, and park on the road next to the NASTC facility. You can save some money by sleeping in your truck. They offer free lunch and free snacks and beverages during class both days.

The location was a little community that's in the Nashville metro area, but easy to drive to and get in and get out if you drive your truck and trailer there. I'm trying to remember the name of the town but I'm tired right now and it's not happening, sorry fellas.
replyreply
05-20-2016, (Subject: Fuel cards ) 
I forgot to add. They give you a small quick reference hand book that is easy to keep by the driver's seat. Anytime you need to find a truck stop with the discounts near you it is nice to quickly find one without having to access the Internet.
replyreply
05-24-2016, (Subject: Fuel cards ) 
The class you have to take is only if you run your own authority. If you are leased to a carrier, you don't have to do this.

As for preloaded cards, you have to have bad credit. I'm leased to a carrier and have a $2000 credit limit. A friend of mine had to prepay because his credit sucked.

I usually fuel at TA and typically see fuel prices to match, or are slightly better than, mom and pop places. I run mostly Ca, Az and Nv. If I run into the northwest, I may use my companies card at Loves if they are under 5% bio and sometimes my 10 cent discount is better than I get from NASTC. This will become normal during the middle of summer, for about a month, as the discount thins out. The discounts seem to be much better during winter.

I do pay a $3.95 per month fee to FleetOne.

I am on autopay. You pick the day of the week you want to pay and it's out of your account the next morning.
replyreply
05-25-2016, (Subject: Fuel cards ) 
I have had this fuel card through OOIDA for quite a few years now. It was free. No class required. Sure, they wanted the $50 to set it up, but I played hard ball and told them that if they didn't eat the "set up fee" that I didn't want the card. They escalated to a manager and ate the charge.

At first, I had to have it linked to a credit card because I was new to their system. After a few months, they linked it to my business checking account. The only problem I've had with that is that when times were tough my balance got lower than what I owed for the fuel purchase, so they shut off the card and I had to get it re-started.

There is no monthly charge on my card. If you fuel at their list of locations, there is no charge and usually a $.02 discount. They now give $.06 discount at Pilot/Flying J. Other places, $1 for the transaction and $.50 if you get a cash advance.
replyreply
05-26-2016, (Subject: Fuel cards ) 
(05-25-2016 )DrivingZiggy Wrote:  I have had this fuel card through OOIDA for quite a few years now. It was free. No class required. Sure, they wanted the $50 to set it up, but I played hard ball and told them that if they didn't eat the "set up fee" that I didn't want the card. They escalated to a manager and ate the charge.

At first, I had to have it linked to a credit card because I was new to their system. After a few months, they linked it to my business checking account. The only problem I've had with that is that when times were tough my balance got lower than what I owed for the fuel purchase, so they shut off the card and I had to get it re-started.

There is no monthly charge on my card. If you fuel at their list of locations, there is no charge and usually a $.02 discount. They now give $.06 discount at Pilot/Flying J. Other places, $1 for the transaction and $.50 if you get a cash advance.

That what you described is completely different card with completely different discount program. Even though it has the same name "Fleet one" name on it. OOIDA and NASCT I would say - "competitors" and do not offer the same programs and discounts.
That card which the topic starter has asked about, works ONLY with TA/PETRO and few more UNBRANDED fuel stops with greater discounts on TA/PETRO $.20-$.50 per gallon roughly...
And that card DOES NOT work at Pilot/FI unless it franchise location and listed on in-nerwork list
replyreply
05-27-2016, (Subject: Fuel cards ) 
I looked into NASTC and found if you knew you could predict that you would fuel at places that gave the great discounts, it would be good. Otherwise you'd be driving around looking for places all the time.
I have a Fleet One OTR. I pay $6 a month, and no transaction fees.occassionally I get a rebate. Other than that, I pay pump price.
I have a company Comdata that gives a little discount, but they charge a transaction fee, too.
I'd like to have what some people say they get through their company cards. But when we compare rates, I might just stick with what I have.
replyreply

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.