How hot is too hot for a new set of brake shoes and drum to run???
10-20-2019, (Subject: How hot is too hot for a new set of brake shoes and drum to run??? ) 
How hot is too hot for a new set of brake shoes and drum to run???
Hello all, it’s been awhile since I have been on. I had to take another break from the road, but now I am back hopefully for awhile.

Anyway, put new brake shoes, drums, and chambers on my old trailer, adjusted the brakes, then went out for a test drive. Two of the drums are running about 180 degrees after 100 miles or so, the other two, one is at 200, and the other about 240?? I have already pulled down the hot positions and everything looks fine. Am I worried for nothing??? (Also slack adjusters, S cams and bushings are relatively new too, only about 30,000 miles on them)

Thanks

User's Signature: Anti-seize EVERYTHING, Except injectors...Use Petroleum Jelly!!!
replyreply
10-20-2019, (Subject: How hot is too hot for a new set of brake shoes and drum to run??? ) 
RE: How hot is too hot for a new set of brake shoes and drum to run???
The 180s and 200s i wouldnt worry about but the 240 maybe you had 1 click tighter than the rest? or maybe it caught the least amount a wind if there was a cross wind that would explain 1 side being 180 and other 200.

User's Signature: 2010 Lonestar - CM871 - 13sp - 3.70s, 2016 T680 - cm2350 - 13sp - 3.36s - skateboarder
replyreply
 Thanks given by: JMBT
Is the sun bright and shiny on one side more than the other?
replyreply
You just changed shoes. You probably just have a shoe or 2 with a high spot that needs to wear in.
replyreply
Thanks for the input guys. I guess I will just run it and keep an eye on it with the temp gun each time I stop.

User's Signature: Anti-seize EVERYTHING, Except injectors...Use Petroleum Jelly!!!
replyreply
10-21-2019, (Subject: How hot is too hot for a new set of brake shoes and drum to run??? ) 
Unless the drum is red hot and smoke rolling out, you should be ok. I've done the same thing your doing with a temp gun after changing shoes and drums, and I got the same results your getting. Some of your s cams or bushings could be more worn than others allowing one wheel to do a little more work even though slack adjusters are adjusted the same

User's Signature: im_seeing_parameters_in_my_sleep 1
replyreply
10-21-2019, (Subject: How hot is too hot for a new set of brake shoes and drum to run??? ) 
Is this normal? The RR axle was at 100 for a few minutes while I was rolling. The light had came on and went off

Attached File(s)Thumbnail(s)

replyreply
I have the same gauges in my Lonestar those lights light up all the time

User's Signature: 2010 Lonestar - CM871 - 13sp - 3.70s, 2016 T680 - cm2350 - 13sp - 3.36s - skateboarder
replyreply
(10-21-2019 )Lonestar10 Wrote:  I have the same gauges in my Lonestar those lights light up all the time

Okay. Thought I might have had a problem
replyreply

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.