Front axle weight?
11-07-2019, (Subject: Front axle weight? ) 
RE: Front axle weight?
(11-07-2019 )Hammerhead Wrote:  ...
Now, just because I can legally be 16k on the front end doesn't mean I can legally gross 84k!
Why? Because interstate legal GVW is still only 80k. I just have a little axle tolerance room, just like you do with your 10' spread axle. The total of your legal axle weights is 86k, but unless you're registered for that, and are in a jurisdiction that allows it, you are also limited to...you got it 80k.

(11-07-2019 )DDlighttruck Wrote:  You didn’t get into cab cards

Which muddies the waters

If the state or province let’s you up the gross legally allowed then you can be more than 80,000 legally without permits

Not arguing or disagreeing

It’s frustrating talking to people that don’t understand that 12/34/40 still can’t add up to more than 80....

You are correct, I inferred it but didn't say it...

User's Signature: Why? Why do I always ask "why?" Because I can't learn or help teach others with "'cause I said so..."
replyreply
11-07-2019, (Subject: Front axle weight? ) 
(11-03-2019 )earnies2 Wrote:  2009 prostar ISX I am always heavy on my front axle 13,400 full of fuel. The other day in Tennessee I got put oos at the scale with 15K on the deck .I was 13600 on my steers the cop was a prick. He said slide your 5th wheel, move your load, or buy new load range H tires or tow it off my road...my 5th wheel is all the way back,I had 23 pallets evenly spaced and tarped on the trailer, ofcourse my tanks were full of fuel ..so I ended up calling the Goodyear tire center 3 miles away I dropped my trailer and he wouldn't let me go 3 miles so the tire shop cane to me. I removed 2 3month old Bridgestone tires and put on 2 Goodyear load range H tires I put it back on the scale and was told dont bring that truck back here without it being leagle.....that being said any sushestions?

Getting back to the OP question, with 13,600 on the steering axle bobtail...
Either invest in a set of wider rims and run 315Rxx/22.5 steering tires, or move the fuel tanks rearward.
Personally, I would be diligent about not crossing scales with fuel tanks filled to the lids to "mask" the issue and keep enforcement off your back. However, BE DILIGENT about making sure you continue to run adequate tires! I know this is saying to run in excess of the axle rating, however the axles are highly over-engineered,so being 13,200 only while bobtailing which doesn't account for a significant percentage of time, is unlikely to be an issue.
If this isn't a realistic possibility in your world, I would consider shifting the tanks rearward.
Then i would look into shifting the 5th wheel slider track further back to allow the 5th to get behind center of the drive axles to pull weigh off the front end. I don't like this option! Pulling weight off a the front end can cause handling problems in extreme circumstances. An example would be hitting some frost heaves causing front-back rocking coming into a curve with slippery roads. The rocking could lighten the steering load enough to cause a loss of traction, or a large increase in downforce exaggeration traction...either way, not a good set of outcome possibilities...

User's Signature: Why? Why do I always ask "why?" Because I can't learn or help teach others with "'cause I said so..."
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Waterloo
11-15-2019, (Subject: Front axle weight? ) 
My truck is 12140 on steers bobtail. I have tripac, disc brakes, fifth wheel all the way back, 2x 100 gallon fuel tanks. I myself weigh 400 lbs. (I'm taller than most)
Would an adjustment with rear suspension level valve correct this? It appears my truck has a rake forward. Making fuel move towards front steers?
replyreply
11-15-2019, (Subject: Front axle weight? ) 
(11-15-2019 )Satch Wrote:  My truck is 12140 on steers bobtail. I have tripac, disc brakes, fifth wheel all the way back, 2x 100 gallon fuel tanks. I myself weigh 400 lbs. (I'm taller than most)
Would an adjustment with rear suspension level valve correct this? It appears my truck has a rake forward. Making fuel move towards front steers?

I would seriously think that adjusting levelling valves will not make any measurably significant difference.

User's Signature: ->: What I post is just my own thoughts and Opinions! --- I AM Full Of S__T!.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Satch
11-16-2019, (Subject: Front axle weight? ) 
(11-15-2019 )Satch Wrote:  My truck is 12140 on steers bobtail. I have tripac, disc brakes, fifth wheel all the way back, 2x 100 gallon fuel tanks. I myself weigh 400 lbs. (I'm taller than most)

I would not think frame rake will make much difference but I think this can be easily checked by pulling on a scale checking front Axel weight then driving on with 2 2x6's and see if there is a difference in weight. If you do this post up the results so we can all learn something

If it does make a difference you may be able to add a lift block of 1" or so under the front springs to change the rake.

On the trucks that I have ordered I have the option of adding a 1" block for ground clearance,My Kenworth trucks are set up with 20K front Axel and 16K springs so they don't have much in common with a freight truck but maybe it can be safely done on yours also.
replyreply

The tri-pak also gives you a ( I think it is up to 800) lb exemption on the steers. mine weighs 12,300 bobtail with full tanks and I have never has a single issue, go all 48 states. Just make sure you have 14-ply steer tires.

User's Signature: ->: What I post is just my own thoughts and Opinions! --- I AM Full Of S__T!.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Toolguy
240 gallons of fuel 34k on drives forward tanks plus longer front end meaning more frame on front as its a lonestar and i have some stretch in the rear with tripac, tv, microwave, my fat ass, all my hand tools, clothes, odds and ends, cooler full of drinks/food/shelve of soups yada yada plus a big ole magnum moose gaurd and my 5th wheel is dead center of my drives i top out at 12,700. + all stainless steel side skirts. I have a 13,200lb axle and H code 11r/22.5s and 40k rear ends.

as far as tripac is varies state to state some stats dont accept the rule period other states only give like 400 lbs some if you have a certified weight of the APU they give you that and some states offer 500lbs. its a joke of a regulation that wasnt put into full effect

User's Signature: 2010 Lonestar - CM871 - 13sp - 3.70s, 2016 T680 - cm2350 - 13sp - 3.36s - skateboarder
replyreply
since i dont swap trailers my next weight drop is gona be a stationary aluminum 5th instead of my current adjustable steel.

User's Signature: 2010 Lonestar - CM871 - 13sp - 3.70s, 2016 T680 - cm2350 - 13sp - 3.36s - skateboarder
replyreply
I have an 08 Prostar, ISX and ultra shift. Stretched to 296" center of drives. Rebuilt the front end with springs from ATS in Pa. Replaced the big blocks under the springs with one inch ones they made me. I lowered it for the ride and it looks better. Roof mounted AC and Hatz diesel generator on the side. 100 gallon tanks, headache rack, chains, binders and all my other stuff. Can never have too much stuff flatbedin. And can't forget about the dawg, she's a big in. I'm 13,000 full of fuel, bobtail, loaded or empty. But have never had a problem anywhere.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Rawze , Toolguy

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.