Davco filter upgrade
11-17-2019, (Subject: Davco filter upgrade ) 
RE: Davco filter upgrade
(11-16-2019 )DDlighttruck Wrote:  
(11-16-2019 )Rawze Wrote:  I find that sad,.. but not surprising.

Is the bottom of your fuel tanks black? -- Mine have no trace of anything black at the bottom.

It could be gunk or something else leaching out from the walls or bottom of the tanks?.

Both tanks are completely coated on the inside with a black film, not just the bottom

I’ve ran that diesel-kleen through before a few times, the Killem seems to help

sounds like maybe its time to resort to having the tanks professionally cleaned? -- I am thinking that someone had to have seriously neglected that truck at some point in its life. - One thing to look for when purchasing a used vehicle might be how black the tanks are on the insides?

User's Signature: ->: What I post is just my own thoughts and Opinions! --- I AM Full Of S__T!.
replyreply
We are seeing a continual climb in motorhomes that tour the southern US and pick up bio diesel long the way and then return to Canada and sit all summer. Had one this fall that the inside of the tanks looks like an unkept aquarium. Filtered the fuel out, removed the tank and steam cleaned it for a day. No algicide available here. G D govt. cust picked up killem in US. Changed 2 primary filters by the time he got to Florida reports all good now.
Just some food for thought if you are looking at a used truck how long has it been sitting and has it run bio. A borescope like the one in Rawzes video work good for a look in the tanks.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Waterloo , Rockhwy
If your davco is a 7 micron and your spin on is a 25, you aren't getting any filtration out of that spin on because everything that gets to it is less than 7 microns in size. I'm not sure what engine you have but my x15 uses a 4 micron spin on. I would assume the injectors won't handle particles larger than 4 microns very well. Just something to think about.

User's Signature: im_seeing_parameters_in_my_sleep 1
replyreply
(11-17-2019 )Rawze Wrote:  
(11-16-2019 )DDlighttruck Wrote:  
(11-16-2019 )Rawze Wrote:  I find that sad,.. but not surprising.

Is the bottom of your fuel tanks black? -- Mine have no trace of anything black at the bottom.

It could be gunk or something else leaching out from the walls or bottom of the tanks?.

Both tanks are completely coated on the inside with a black film, not just the bottom

I’ve ran that diesel-kleen through before a few times, the Killem seems to help

sounds like maybe its time to resort to having the tanks professionally cleaned? -- I am thinking that someone had to have seriously neglected that truck at some point in its life. - One thing to look for when purchasing a used vehicle might be how black the tanks are on the insides?

I don’t understand why CAT would give it the green light?

Local rad shop quoted me $900-ish to clean both tanks

User's Signature: I have no idea what I’m doing and probably need supervising
replyreply
(11-17-2019 )tree98 Wrote:  If your davco is a 7 micron and your spin on is a 25, you aren't getting any filtration out of that spin on because everything that gets to it is less than 7 microns in size. I'm not sure what engine you have but my x15 uses a 4 micron spin on. I would assume the injectors won't handle particles larger than 4 microns very well. Just something to think about.

What’s odd is I cut one spin on filter apart and it was black too, I can’t quite justify cutting open a new one to see what colour it is but maybe I will just to satisfy the curiosity

User's Signature: I have no idea what I’m doing and probably need supervising
replyreply
That doesn't surprise me, that gunk that gets past the 7 micron is clinging to the filter element. That same stuff is going through your injectors.

User's Signature: im_seeing_parameters_in_my_sleep 1
replyreply
I had to clean my tanks about a year and a half ago on my 11 model. Drained the bad fuel into a 55g drum. Rinsed with water. Plugged back up and filled with water with a high concentration of cal hypochlorote (100% chlorine) let sit over night. Drained and rinsed. Then used aluma brite (phosphoric acid) inside the tanks as u would on ur wheels. Thorough rinse and get as much water as humanly possible out them tanks. Vacuum them out! Do the same to the davco but cover the fuel outlet to the engine so u dont get water in it. Refill with clean fuel and new filters. Then check ur f/w separator frequently to make sure its not got water in it (if u missed any water in the tank it will end up in the davco) and it doesnt take much to fill one up. My experience that worked for me. Remember water in ur fuel system will murder ur engine so it ALL has to come out b4 it reaches the pump.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Rawze , DDlighttruck , 2dlb
I thought bio diesel was a cleaner? If you fuel tank was dirty bio diesel would act as a cleaner and release all that crud into your fuel system?

I would think you could drain and remove tanks from truck and have them steamed cleaned. Tank trailer washout place should be able to do it without any trouble. They wash out all kinds of chemicals and sticky stuff.

User's Signature: 2015 Kenworth T660
replyreply
bio diesel typical seems to be a bit better on cetane levels and burns better seemingly but it has a big higher disolved water content and is able to support biological growth better as its basically a bio degradeable product made of either animal fats, soy oil, or corn oil. most of your midwest bio diesel is soy and corn oil based with all the ethanol plants producing corn oil as another bi-product. hence why i dont beleive all the hooplah about ethanol being a bad product its not the only thing produced when making ethanol you also get Oil, Wet feed 45-50% moisture and higher fat content, and dry feed 10% moisture product bit lower fat content. also some plants are now producing a very high protein feed out of the thin stillage process stream that is now being used in the fish food market as its cheaper than the current products their making it from.

User's Signature: 2010 Lonestar - CM871 - 13sp - 3.70s, 2016 T680 - cm2350 - 13sp - 3.36s - skateboarder
replyreply

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.