New davco questions
01-16-2020, (Subject: New davco questions ) 
RE: New davco questions
^^—— Ahhhh, that’s make sense. Was thinking the opposite way around with the fuel level.

--- So, after re-reading your post, the fuel level would actually lower below the lowest portion on the sight bowl (sometimes near the fuel lines), once the truck sat......gotcha
replyreply
(01-16-2020 )SquareOne Wrote:  ^^—— Ahhhh, that’s make sense. Was thinking the opposite way around with the fuel level.

Here's my truck, see the davco to the right of the intake manifold.
./uploads/202001/post_4410_1579229018_ba703bad67e264a801ca51ab0d8ae13e.jpg
The fuel level would sometimes drop just below the top of the clear plastic housing.

User's Signature: "...And as we wind on down the road, Our Shadows taller than our Soul..."
replyreply
(01-16-2020 )JimT Wrote:  
(01-16-2020 )SquareOne Wrote:  ^^—— Ahhhh, that’s make sense. Was thinking the opposite way around with the fuel level.

Here's my truck, see the davco to the right of the intake manifold.

The fuel level would sometimes drop just below the top of the clear plastic housing.

you should be running a 10 micron filter in that davco. If your running that typical 50-micron bs filter, it will tend to be that low all the time. With a 50 on there, might as well not have it installed, you can almost pour sand through it and it would not catch much. lol.

looks like you have some toe-alignment, or camber issue there too?, looking at that pic, but a bit hard to tell. Looks like it is wearing faster on the outer (should be the inner, not outer), if tha is the case, that is not normal. How many miles on that steer tire?

Also have an oil pan or air compressor oil-leak it looks like too.

main belt looks worn badly too, maybe the tensioner pulley bearing is worn and making it ride the edge of one of the other pulleys .. but that could also just be the quality of the pic.

User's Signature: ->: What I post is just my own thoughts and Opinions! --- I AM Full Of S__T!.
replyreply
(01-16-2020 )Rawze Wrote:  you should be running a 10 micron filter in that davco. If your running that typical 50-micron bs filter, it will tend to be that low all the time. With a 50 on there, might as well not have it installed, you can almost pour sand through it and it would not catch much. lol.

I'll keep an eye on that, thanks. Receipt from TA shows they installed a FS19764 which Cummins lists as rated 10 micron.

Usually the level would creep up to about 1/2 to 2/3 full by the time I hit my 10-12k oil change. treated the tanks with a maintenance shot of biobor just before the last filter went on and it lasted twice as long. Actually hung just under half until I hit about 20,000 miles then it crept up faster. must've gotten some junky fuel. Here in CT most of the fuel pumps have stickers proclaiming that the fuel is blended with "5-20%" biofuel. yuck.

User's Signature: "...And as we wind on down the road, Our Shadows taller than our Soul..."
replyreply
(01-16-2020 )Rawze Wrote:  looks like you have some toe-alignment, or camber issue there too?, looking at that pic, but a bit hard to tell. Looks like it is wearing faster on the outer (should be the inner, not outer), if tha is the case, that is not normal. How many miles on that steer tire?

Also have an oil pan or air compressor oil-leak it looks like too.

main belt looks worn badly too, maybe the tensioner pulley bearing is worn and making it ride the edge of one of the other pulleys .. but that could also just be the quality of the pic.

Hahah, that was a photo from the dealer before I bought the truck. Air compressor has been changed (coolant fitting in head blew out, the threads in the head had corroded). All belts and tensioners have been changed along with the idler pulley. Good eye.

Yes, the steers have issues and are on my todo list. They were on the truck when I bought it. I recently had someone point out that they are directional and the driver side is backwards... Every day I learn something new.

replyreply
01-17-2020, (Subject: New davco questions ) 
When you fix the steers, have them high speed balance them, I have never had any luck with the Centermatics or beads. High speed balancing by a competent tire guy has never failed me. And Rawze does have an eye...
replyreply
(01-17-2020 )Waterloo Wrote:  When you fix the steers, have them high speed balance them, I have never had any luck with the Centermatics or beads. High speed balancing by a competent tire guy has never failed me. And Rawze does have an eye...

Thanks. Any recommendations for good steer tires? Haven't shopped for them before and not sure where to start. Run flatbed, legal loads, mostly highway, but I do go in to tight places a lot, such as NYC. 12,000lb front axle usually weighing in about 11,200.

replyreply
(01-17-2020 )JimT Wrote:  
(01-17-2020 )Waterloo Wrote:  When you fix the steers, have them high speed balance them, I have never had any luck with the Centermatics or beads. High speed balancing by a competent tire guy has never failed me. And Rawze does have an eye...

Thanks. Any recommendations for good steer tires? Haven't shopped for them before and not sure where to start. Run flatbed, legal loads, mostly highway, but I do go in to tight places a lot, such as NYC. 12,000lb front axle usually weighing in about 11,200.

I buy the top of the line Michelin 16 ply vs the standard 14 ply. I have a heavy front end, and the tires wear nicely, high speed balance them and check pressures religiously. I run them at 110 psi. In six years, I am on my second set.
replyreply
Good luck finding a competent balance guy.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Explosia

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.