CM871 kickin my Butt
07-28-2020, (Subject: CM871 kickin my Butt ) 
RE: CM871 kickin my Butt
(07-28-2020 )Waterloo Wrote:  Pay attention to this comment! That front structure gasket, when you go to fit it in that groove, it will need to be cut to fit, as it is an inch or two too long... When you trim that, make sure you have a grip on that end, I didn't the first go around in Rawze's driveway, and that piece fell into the front structure and dropped clear into the oil pan. Tip, if you have the oil pan off, install the oil pan when the top end is completed and ready to take oil, after it is all buttoned up. Trust me on that. Oil Pan LAST! If the pan is on, watch that lose piece of gasket, it can get away from you quickly, as it is as thin as a piece of pencil lead and is slippery as a wet noodle, it can and will ruin your day.

Thank you guys for your input. I was wondering about that cut to fit gasket, I imagined I was going to coat it a bit with RTV to get it to stay in place as I install it. The all-threads for guides are a good idea ( I do that for aligning a body back to a frame), but one thing I ran into was, I began removing the front main bracket to accessories (alternator & A/C compressor) but got to the last bolt in front above the balancer and it stripped the head before it would break loose. (Damn !) So I was still able to remove the gear cover and it's metal clamp strip together slipping them out, I figured that's why I'll need some RTV to hold the gasket in place as I worry about exactly what you said Waterloo of the gasket dropping down into the engine, which also brings to mind probably disable me using any all-threads guides for the cover.

Thanks for telling me to replace that outer cap cover over injector cam gear, I didn't know they go bad. Seems like a simple steel cap but I since I haven't removed it yet to have a look at it's thickness, I imagine it must be thin enough they must get fractures and crack huh?

The procedures from Quickserve are very limited in explanation, but I did get Loctite 609, just waiting for wedges and I think my kit (which I just found their shipment is delayed again) comes with a few different wedges with different markings? So I was waiting to test which wedges fit in before I removed cams so I know which to use for re-install, best I'm understanding the procedure and saw the warning to not remove gears without the wedges and crank pinned, yet looking at it, it seems the wedges would disallow the cam's to slide out, it doesn't seem like I'd want them in place. I have rotated the engine to the insert pin location with the cams (flats) to the outer lip of the head so they should be positioned right, but for removal it just doesn't seem like you'd want them against the cam's flats as the bearing surfaces need to pass by when sliding out.

Dang, at the rate this is going it will be September before I can get to Rawze's in Georgia, but I bet the weather would be cooler, yet my plates for my truck are also due in Sept. I often wonder with this damn pandemic BS, and folks are shooting at truckers now, God is doing everything to hold me back from hitting the road. I've only ran 1 week so far in 2020 I've had so much bad luck this year.
Thanks guys !

User's Signature: 2009 Kenworth T2000, 13sp 3.55's. CM871 CPL2732. IMA Old Hot Rodder !
replyreply

Messages In This Thread
RE: CM871 kickin my Butt - RustyWood - 07-28-2020

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.