Prostar and Volvo
07-01-2020, (Subject: Prostar and Volvo ) 
RE: Prostar and Volvo
They don't sell them before the mileage warranty is up unless that unit is a problem, they have a sucker on the hook for a lease purchase or they have to down size the fleet by a few trucks. Other than that they run it right up to the 500,000 miles with minimal services and anything warranty replaced. Its safe to say that they are driven by some of the most inexperienced,(some mind numbingly dumb), don't give a damn in the least people out on the roads. I used to be a wrench for 1 of these companies. I did a pile of P.I.S. (piss) and P.O.O.S. (poo's) thats Put in Service and Put out of Service on a work order.

Where fleet trucks are good is that they replace a pile of parts. If it needs it or if they shotgun it with parts because they can't figure out a problem. Then you essentially get a newer truck. But thats a double edged sword. That also usually means it was beat by the driver, has a very strange problem (usually factory defect that is really hard to find. Think lemon law type stuff) or if you're lucky the mechanics are the dumbest person you'll ever meet and they just throw things at it. The last is very common too.

This is back when they only ran them to 30,000 mile oil changes with 1 grease job in between (A and B Service) and this was pre emissions so the soot levels in the oil were normal for a diesel. Now they run them to an idiotic time of 50,000 miles with 1 grease job in between and these engines are eating their own waste the entire time. Carbon packing is really bad with them.

So you can find yourself a really nice looking truck with both rears replaced, new clutch and transmission some nice new shiney under hood parts and think wow I got a deal. Only to pay a fairly hefty price for a carbon packed engine, an abused driveline and nightmare of electrical problems and the high likelihoodit was wrecked fairly hard, maybe multiple times. Mega fleets are all self insured and dont have to report a damn thing to anyone as long as they can get the truck away from the scene without a police report. You had better be very aware of these situations and how to remedy them physically and financially if you choose that road.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Rawze , Waterloo , snailexpress , JimT

Messages In This Thread
Prostar and Volvo - GAguy912 - 06-25-2020,
RE: Prostar and Volvo - Rawze - 06-25-2020,
RE: Prostar and Volvo - Rawze - 06-25-2020,
RE: Prostar and Volvo - Magard - 06-27-2020,
RE: Prostar and Volvo - Magard - 06-28-2020,
RE: Prostar and Volvo - Rawze - 06-30-2020,
RE: Prostar and Volvo - Chamberpains - 07-01-2020
RE: Prostar and Volvo - JimT - 07-03-2020,
RE: Prostar and Volvo - Rawze - 07-03-2020,

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.