Prostar and Volvo
07-03-2020, (Subject: Prostar and Volvo ) 
RE: Prostar and Volvo
I think, when comparing engine manufacturers, the biggest question to answer is who will be working on it. If all you plan to do is pay shops/dealers to maintain and repair your equipment then any engine (except those POS Maxxforce engines or the mid 2000's Mercedes engines) would get the job done. However if you plan to work on your own truck then Cummins is the clear winner. Even if you don't plan on doing all your maintainence, Cummins parts and service can be obtained at nearly any shop out there since they are not tied to any single OEM.

Beyond that, you really need to match the equipment configuration to your operation. If you're hauling containers, reefers, or any type of dryvan/box then an aerodynamic raised roof with as short a wheelbase as you are comfortable with (to keep the trailer as close to the cab as possible). I'd only consider a mid-roof if you're pulling a tanker or some type of open/platform trailer (flatbed, stepdeck, lowboy). Anything sticking up above the top of that mid-roof will create VERY noticeable drag and lower fuel mileage. I run a mid-roof with a flatbed and any time my load goes over 6-6.5 feet high I loose .5-1 mpg compared to a comparable load that was lower. (I get better fuel mileage pulling a 45,000lb 4' high tarped load compared to a 6,000lb 8.5' high load).

When comparing different trucks don't just look at age and mileage. Also take in to account engine hours. That can be very telling. A truck with higher miles but lower engine hours means it's been idled less and more likely run mostly at highway speeds (less stop and go). This is especially important to the life and health of the emissions systems (EGR, DOC, DPF and SCR) as they perform best during normal or heavy operation.

User's Signature: "...And as we wind on down the road, Our Shadows taller than our Soul..."
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Waterloo

Messages In This Thread
Prostar and Volvo - GAguy912 - 06-25-2020,
RE: Prostar and Volvo - Rawze - 06-25-2020,
RE: Prostar and Volvo - Rawze - 06-25-2020,
RE: Prostar and Volvo - Magard - 06-27-2020,
RE: Prostar and Volvo - Magard - 06-28-2020,
RE: Prostar and Volvo - Rawze - 06-30-2020,
RE: Prostar and Volvo - JimT - 07-03-2020
RE: Prostar and Volvo - Rawze - 07-03-2020,

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.