Oil leak, between flywheel housing and block
09-10-2020, (Subject: Oil leak, between flywheel housing and block ) 
RE: Oil leak, between flywheel housing and block
So these flywheel housing don't have to centered using a dial indicator?
replyreply
 Thanks given by: JMBT
09-10-2020, (Subject: Oil leak, between flywheel housing and block ) 
They use 2 dowel rings for alignment. Most of the time they are very accurate, but it's always good practise to check with an indicator.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: tree98 , Rawze , JMBT
03-04-2021, (Subject: Oil leak, between flywheel housing and block ) 
Signature620 had said: “I usually hit the sealing face of these housings with an orbital sander then clean and reassemble it with a light coat of Permatex Aviation Sealant on both sides of the gasket.”

What grit disc do you use with the orbital sander? I don’t want to remove too much material but want to get the surface nice and clean.

Thanks! JMBT

User's Signature: Anti-seize EVERYTHING, Except injectors...Use Petroleum Jelly!!!
replyreply
03-05-2021, (Subject: Oil leak, between flywheel housing and block ) 
I don't think I would sand it but that's just me. You should be able to get it clean by scraping and using a scotch bright pad.

User's Signature: im_seeing_parameters_in_my_sleep 1
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Rawze , JMBT
03-05-2021, (Subject: Oil leak, between flywheel housing and block ) 
Scotch pads will absolutely get them ready to refit, no problems.

I prefer to sand them as most of them have serious fretting. It leaves a nice, uniform finish without the excessive time and material loss of having the housings machined.

I use the same practice for all flat gasket surfaces of exh manifolds, front and rear housings, thermostat housings, intake manifolds, etc. Consider it a gentlemanly alternative to those 2" buff wheels people like to use.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: JMBT

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.