Too much or just right?
07-26-2016, (Subject: Too much or just right? ) 
RE: Too much or just right?
I'm confused. I see temp sensor is still on DPF. Was sensor plug melted or temperature wasn't high enough to melt plastic. Why carbon is black it should turn grey when it burns.
replyreply
(07-26-2016 )snailexpress Wrote:  I'm confused. I see temp sensor is still on DPF. Was sensor plug melted or temperature wasn't high enough to melt plastic.

I could not remove the outlet temp sensor. It was seized. I broke the end off of it, the part with the connector on it, so I could put a socket on it. However, it just rounded it off. I'm going to work on it today. Probably going to have to drill it out. :too_sad:

(07-26-2016 )snailexpress Wrote:  Why carbon is black it should turn grey when it burns.

That's actually my bad. I'll have to fix my post. I used the incorrect pictures. That cleaning I did was the 1st cleaning, but, it was before I put it in the kiln. I thought I took pictures after it was in the kiln, but I guess not. I'll take some today.

User's Signature: 2013 Volvo 670 with Big Red under the hood
replyreply
(07-26-2016 )in2trux Wrote:  That looks really good. Pottery kiln, genius!

I'm just glad the DPF is small enough to fit inside. I was worried about that because I didn't want to have to pay the dealer or someone else $2,500 to clean it. No wonder why people just "fix" them and be done with it.

I also had to use it on one of the lowest settings, because it will heat up to 2,400 degrees. And we all know that would be really bad for me and the DPF. On the second lowest setting it heated up to 850 degrees. I know it isn't as hot as you should get it to burn all of the soot/ash off, but the kiln doesn't have a thermometer and I don't have a thermometer that goes higher than that. So, I played it safe and just stuck with 850 degrees for a couple of hours.

replyreply
Maybe add a pyrometer and an on / off timer to get it to 1200 degrees on high setting.

User's Signature: 2010 386 Pete CM871, 13 spd. 3.55
replyreply
Brilliant idea

User's Signature: It's hard to win an argument with a smart person, but it's damn near impossible to win an argument with a stupid person
replyreply
07-27-2016, (Subject: Too much or just right? ) 
Well, after three cleanings, this is what the DPF looks like.

I basically followed this procedure.

http://www.aem.dinex.dk/da/downloads/~/m...7958C.ashx

The discoloration at the 12 o'clock position is caused by the intake DPF differential pressure sensor tube blocking the filter and the discoloration at the 1 o'clock position is caused by the intake DPF temp sensor blocking the filter.

Other than that, I think it looks pretty good.

I'm going to finally install it tomorrow. I was thinking about doing a forced regen, but with the DPF basically clean, is it really necessary? If I do perform a forced regen, I'll post regen numbers tomorrow. If I decide not to, because I hate doing forced regens because of the wasted fuel, I'll post regen numbers in a couple of days.

Fingers crossed.

replyreply
07-27-2016, (Subject: Too much or just right? ) 
(07-26-2016 )in2trux Wrote:  Maybe add a pyrometer and an on / off timer to get it to 1200 degrees on high setting.

The kiln I have has 5 settings, or switches. Each switch controls a different electrical circuit inside the kiln. The first switch turns on the lowest circuit and goes up from there. One switch on got it up to 350 degrees and two switches on got it up to 850. I was thinking about turning on the third switch, but I really didn't want to be sitting there for a couple of hours watching it making sure it didn't over heat. Unfortunately, the kiln doesn't have a setting where it turns off after hitting a certain temperature, unless I were to rewire it some how. But ain't nobody got time for that.

Well, actually, I could have used what is called a kiln cone or pyrometric cone to turn it off when it hits a certain temperature. But, the only cones that my mother had lying around were 1900 degree cones. Basically the cone "melts" and trips a switch, causing the kiln to turn off. And since it is so well insulated, it would stay roughly at that temperature for a couple of hours. I would have had to order lower temperature cones online, as all the pottery places around here have gone out of business. Probably because my mother stopped doing pottery.

If I plan on doing this again, which I don't cause I'm going to "fix" it permanently eventually, I'll probably purchase a pyrometer and just leave the sensor hanging inside the kiln. Or if the thread size is the same, install it into one of the temperature bungs on the DPF.

replyreply
08-02-2016, (Subject: Too much or just right? ) 
Update! Well, that didn't work. The filter was plugged and the truck ran better for a day afterwards, but now it's regenning too much again. Last night, after it finished a regen, it only went 50 miles before needed another regen. Also check engine light came on. SPN 81 FMI 16 (basically DPF filling too fast). So, I have a soot problem. Shocking. I think I may have a leak in the intake piping or the CAC may be leaking. I'm going to test it when I get home later today. I'm also going to monitor my EGR valve and turbo using insite to see if one of them are sticking. Truck runs fine, other than regenning every couple of hours.

replyreply
08-02-2016, (Subject: Too much or just right? ) 
Have you checked the dozer injector? Is it red or silver color. If it is red, it has never been replaced and almost guaranteed it is plugged... People have cleaned them , but I prefer to change those when they are completely sooted up...

Also, you cleaned the doc correct since you cleaned your dpf filter?
replyreply

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.