2015 isx15 loosing coolant
12-22-2020, (Subject: 2015 isx15 loosing coolant ) 
2015 isx15 loosing coolant
I have been loosing about a gallon of coolant a day. Pressure tested the system found 2 small external leaks and took oil pan off no loss out of the bottom. We took the cross over pipe off and it had clear condensation in it as well did the back pipe on the EGR cooler. Today we found coolant in the crank case filter and sludge. The oil and pan are clean of moisture. So we don't know if it's the cooler or a head gasket please help
replyreply
RE: 2015 isx15 loosing coolant
(12-22-2020 )Mfrazier6454 Wrote:  I have been loosing about a gallon of coolant a day. Pressure tested the system found 2 small external leaks and took oil pan off no loss out of the bottom. We took the cross over pipe off and it had clear condensation in it as well did the back pipe on the EGR cooler. Today we found coolant in the crank case filter and sludge. The oil and pan are clean of moisture. So we don't know if it's the cooler or a head gasket please help

Is the truck deleted, if so, by who?

Did you pressurize the motor, 20psi, and let sit over night? And was there someone there to bar the motor as someone was underneath with a good flashlight? If you did not, you will be hard pressed to find any coolant leaks in the cylinders. See a photo I took of my cylinder wall after sitting over night under pressure. http://rawze.com/forums/showthread.php?tid=6863&page=4

Same procedure for the EGR Cooler, remove that back hose, pressurize motor to 20psi, put a jar lid or something that can capture coolant at the end of the EGR cooler opening. Check the following day for coolant loss in jar lid or whatever you use...

Also, if you did the other tests correctly, under pressure, have you removed the DPF/DOC cans and checked for coolant intrusion? Any smoking out of the exhaust?

The air compressor too, it is liquid cooled, have you checked the air dryer for coolant contamination? And the air compressor to ensure it is functioning properly? Any issues with it building air pressure or the air dryer not functioning properly?

On that crankcase filter, did you inspect the drain hose to ensure it is not plugged up with something?

Also, if you do not have a free Cummins Quickserve account, now would be the time to open one. You will need your Engine Identification Number (EIN) found on the valve cover data plate. https://quickserve.cummins.com/info/index.html

Registration is free, and you will have access to all of the repair and trouble shooting manuals the dealers use. Good place to start.

User's Signature: 2008 ProStar, OEM 600hp CM-871, 18spd, 3:42, in framed in Rawze's driveway. Every day is a fresh new episode of, "The Twilight Zone"... Rod Serling lives rent free in my head. I can smell the Chesterfields.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Mfrazier6454
It is deleted I'm sure by the company that everybody talks about. The engine was barred over with someone under the truck and it had pressure on it overnight. I just don't understand how coolant is getting in the crankcase filter and clean condensation everywhere else thank you for the reply
replyreply
12-23-2020, (Subject: 2015 isx15 loosing coolant ) 
(12-22-2020 )Mfrazier6454 Wrote:  It is deleted I'm sure by the company that everybody talks about. The engine was barred over with someone under the truck and it had pressure on it overnight. I just don't understand how coolant is getting in the crankcase filter and clean condensation everywhere else thank you for the reply

If not a delete from a recognized shop or person from this forum, you need to pull the file off of the ECM and get a copy to Rawze to see what you have. You will need the Cummins Inline reader, Insite and CT software. eBay is where most all of us get the Inline readers, around $200 - $250.

To me, it sounds like a bad delete, unless I misunderstood where the work was done. Do you have a pyrometer and turbo boost gauge, if so, what are they showing going down the road under a load? How many miles on the motor and when was the delete actually done, and by who?

Now... That delete, is the factory OEM turbo still on there? Was the EGR Cooler messed with, is it getting coolant? Some of these delete outfits plate off the EGR Coolers exhaust (which is OK) and the coolant, (Which is not OK). You are sure it is getting coolant? Because that much coolant loss is more associated with a failed EGR Cooler than a fretted liner or failed head gasket, which they, the head gasket, rarely if ever fail on their own in an ISX.

Now, the air compressor... I suspect it is operating properly? Have you removed and inspected the air dryer cartridge for coolant? Any excessive moisture in the air tanks? I don't think that is the problem, but I would still check, especially the cartridge, as it could be loaded with coolant and sludge.

Then the DPF/DOC/SCR cans, were they dropped and hollowed out completely when the delete was done? Not just a few holes drilled, they need to be removed and all of the ceramic beaten and cleaned out of them, was that done? Many of these delete outfits drill a few holes in the DPF/DOC cans, or sometimes they actually hollow them out, sometimes they never touch them, and most will never touch the SCR can because it a real PIA and leave it fully intact. Which could explain the crud in the crankcase filter, as the cans are face plugged with both soot and coolant. The pressure has to go somewhere... The filter in the crankcase breather, is it the white filter element, or is it the new non-filter cartridge, two pieces of plastic sandwiched together? The install and forget about it filter? Is the drain line clear going out of the filter box?

Is there excess pressure in the coolant bottle? Does the coolant rise and fall or seep past the fill cap? Any signs of dried coolant around the coolant bottle or coolant lines? Have you performed a block test, the blue to green fluid test for exhaust gasses in the coolant? I would do that, if you have not. Get the motor really hot, crank her up to 1800+ rpm, you may have to run it for up to an hour to get the thermostat to open and then run the test. Temp gauge should be over 185, the closer to 200 degrees the better. Main thing, get it hot enough to open the thermostat. And I know, you dropped the pan, but I would still do the test. Did you do the actual test in regards to dropping the pan? Or did you hand that off to some shop or dealership? I would not trust these shops for such a test, but that is just me.

Also, have you removed the valve cover to inspect the cam and rollers? In a case like yours, you should really do that. When was the last time the overhead was done? If you do not know, put that on your list. Really inspect that cam, the lobes and the rollers, use a bright flashlight. When or if there is face plugging in a deleted motor, those cans not hollowed out, the damage can be extensive, pop the top.

Do the above, I would start by removing the exhaust piping and inspecting those cans with a flashlight or one of those inexpensive borescopes to see if anything is in them. If you see ceramic, there is your problem. You need to do this to ALL OF THEM. And make sure the EGR Cooler is getting coolant... Something sounds goofy here.

User's Signature: 2008 ProStar, OEM 600hp CM-871, 18spd, 3:42, in framed in Rawze's driveway. Every day is a fresh new episode of, "The Twilight Zone"... Rod Serling lives rent free in my head. I can smell the Chesterfields.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Rawze , Mfrazier6454
12-23-2020, (Subject: 2015 isx15 loosing coolant ) 
(12-22-2020 )Mfrazier6454 Wrote:  It is deleted I'm sure by the company that everybody talks about. The engine was barred over with someone under the truck and it had pressure on it overnight. I just don't understand how coolant is getting in the crankcase filter and clean condensation everywhere else thank you for the reply

PM'd you my number.

User's Signature: ->: What I post is just my own thoughts and Opinions! --- I AM Full Of S__T!.
replyreply

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.