CM871
07-04-2023, (Subject: CM871 ) 
CM871
Edited
replyreply
RE: CM871 rebuild and liner height question
Here's where Rawze directed me on mine....

https://rawze.com/forums/showthread.php?...6#pid70606
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Bengy88 , Nostalgic
Edited
replyreply
https://rawze.com/forums/showthread.php?tid=1

User's Signature: It's hard to win an argument with a smart person, but it's damn near impossible to win an argument with a stupid person
replyreply
(07-04-2023 )Dieselboy Wrote:  
(07-04-2023 )Truckdriven Wrote:  Here's where Rawze directed me on mine....

https://rawze.com/forums/showthread.php?...6#pid70606

This is great. Thanks so much. Does it matter on the HP configuration for the motor?

Other than the information already shared (which probably answers your question if you read it all), Yes, HP does matter. The higher the HP, the more setting liner height correctly matters. You'll want 0.015" AND MEASURED WITH THE LINER COMPRESSED EVENLY AND TORQUED TO SPEC WITH THE PROPER TOOL.
replyreply
07-05-2023, (Subject: CM871 ) 
My experiences...

It is surprisingly VERY DIFFICULT to get a repair shop to build and ISX 100% correctly. .. VERY VERY DIFFICULT!!!... because the bulk of all repair shops out there are too gadda$mn arrogant to listen to what is needed above whatever garbage (according to spec ehemm) methods they are already using.

They are too godd#am arrogant to PUT DOWN THAT DAMN AIR TOOL SPEED GUN AND USE A F$$U&KING TORQUE WRENCH ON A $40,000 COMMERCIAL ENGINE!!!!! .. BECAUSE LAZY AND FAST = MORE MONEYS AND NO ONE GIVES A S$IT IN THE SHOP!.. WITH THIS "IT'LL BE ALRIGHT' ATTITUDE THAT LEAVES WAY TOO MUCH TO QUESTION .. because THEY DON'T OWN IT!!!

And as a truck owner.. if you even ask them stay away from it with air guns.. or even hint at telling them that they should read and follow/do it like I mention .. they will curse you out.. and yell at you and claim "they build 5 engines a week and no one else ever has issues".. and get mad at you with all their glorified ignorance and stupidity!

THAT is why no one builds them correctly any more. They have no incentive to build the engine right.. and they have no incentive to NOT be speed-gun happy.. and they have no incentive to actually give a s$it past what they are already doing!.

It is beyond a sad state of affairs that you are paying someone $200+ an hour these days. and they cannot even bother to do the damn job past "half-arssed". -= Might as well do the engine build yourself at that point.

.. and the OEM stealers$its with their glorified diesel-mechanics training... ARE THE MOST GUILTY OF ALL!... so forget about most of the other mom-pop shops too.

At the end of the day.. everyone blames the engine instead of their own short comings and arrogance towards actually taking the time to learn to do it 100% right with no mistakes or shortcuts.

- Ask anyone who has been to my house to build their engine while I watched over and guided them. They will be real quick to tell you that I did not let them take any shortcuts... and demanded that they use a torque wrench, checking and double checking everything .. even arguing with them sometimes to keep them on the right track ... including almost all of the the less critical components too. I question everything they are doing.. I make them second-guess themselves and do something all over again if they did not give me the right answer.. nothing is left to chance.. nothing at all!.

Every screw and bolt goes into a baggie, every component labelled and put in a safe place .. everything gets labelled with its proper name, so that the same screws ans hardware goes exactly back to the same positions exactly. Literally EVERYTHING is tracked and verified or it does not go back together until it is a 100% match, clean, verified 100% good, etc. all along the process.

We honed and polished out the stress on all mating surfaces .. even if they did not seem to need it, and especially if it was a new part ,, or an old one that has been stressed around the bolt holes, etc.. to ensure only the highest accuracy. Dykem + polishing, that is how you get it there. .. I always do the counter-bore and polish/get all specs to within 0.001" or smaller tolerances. I am severely OCD about that s$it.
(an example) ... http://rawze.com/forums/showthread.php?t...1#pid11611

Pulling a hard vacuum on the coolant (and dealing with the A/C systems) after assembly of everything to purge coolant system of all air, then pressurizing coolant system to 20+ PSI to ensure no leaks, etc.

We gave the engine ZERO excuse to fail. There was exactly ZERO question about every single thing down to the smallest detail about how and what was done ... and thus it mechanically responded exactly as such.

- And once we were finished.. the after first crank and the air was fully purged from the engine, we immediately red-line it at full throttle and hold it there for at least 20+ minutes or more. Usually scaring the s#it out of the truck owner .lol. ..to properly break it in, verify the components, flush all the systems out, to help finalize seating of that head gasket, seat the piston rings and all bearings, etc. Immediately after first crank. This is how we did racing engines when I was young to ensure no mistakes, .. and this is how I do it here too.

-= and EVERY ONE OF THOSE ENGINES is still running to this day ... "strong like bull".

I learned at a very young age when building race engines that ran red-lined for hours down the track with my grandfather .. The attitude is...

"It is a mechanical device. It has no opinions. It has no feelings. It will respond and perform, succeed, or fail in a predictable mechanical way EXACTLY as it has been treated WITHOUT ANY VARIANCE, as long as YOU YOURSELF ALSO REMOVE ALL CHANCE OF IT HAVING ANY VARIANCE in the way that you build it, down the the very last screw and fitting".

User's Signature: ->: What I post is just my own thoughts and Opinions! --- I AM Full Of S__T!.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: hookliftpete , hhow55 , Bengy88 , SquareOne , Dieselboy , Toolguy
07-07-2023, (Subject: CM871 ) 
Edited
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Rawze
07-07-2023, (Subject: CM871 ) 
(07-07-2023 )Dieselboy Wrote:  They took my money so the least they can do is take my requests seriously.

They won't!!! You'll be back on here in a few weeks,months, or years with a dropped liner or some other failure due to poor workmanship. If I were you I would get that money back and not let them even touch my engine! Do it yourself and do it right, or have it done at haggai's. No other option that makes sense exists. You've been warned multiple times.

Here's a great example of someone who did exactly what your saying you are going to do. This is a look into your future.
https://rawze.com/forums/showthread.php?tid=2972

User's Signature: im_seeing_parameters_in_my_sleep 1
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Nostalgic , Toolguy

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.