Diesel Engine Pre-Oiler Pump
02-29-2016, (Subject: Diesel Engine Pre-Oiler Pump ) 
RE: Diesel Engine Pre-Oiler Pump
(02-29-2016 )yamajason Wrote:  
(02-29-2016 )snailexpress Wrote:  Idea pre lube engine was already here before last forumquake.
Here is link to another manufacturer http://www.varnaproducts.com/EP-4_Pump.php
Someone did call them to find out the price and price was $240 if my memory still intact.Everything what is related with avia is expensive due to FAA certification requirements. Varna pump has check valve integrated don't have to worry about.

I called Varna, it was over $600 and they could give us 20% discount if we ordered 10 of them. It is rated 1.75gpm @ 60psi. Their main claim with their pump is quiet operation.

The $250 unit was from a motorcycle racing store and is rated 1.5gpm @ 60psi

The $300 one that airplanes use is rated 3gpm @ 60psi

To be fair, the rated flow of the pumps doesn't specify the Viscosity or Temperature so it is hard to compare which moves more oil.
Heh I need vitamins for memory.
The main advantage Varna is vane pump. Pump is self priming can suck oil from oil pan. All technical data is in PDF file.

Attached File(s)
.pdf  EP4_OilPump.pdf (Size: 387.62 KB / Downloads: 160)
replyreply
I want to mount whichever pump I get down low near the oil pan for a short priming distance. If the top of my pump is below the top of the oil in the pan, I should not have to worry about priming it with a less expensive pump.
replyreply
(02-29-2016 )snailexpress Wrote:  Heh I need vitamins for memory.
The main advantage Varna is vane pump. Pump is self priming can suck oil from oil pan. All technical data is in PDF file.

I dont mind paying extra for High Quality....but just one quick glance at the specs I see
12 or 24vdc
Flow rate of 1.75gpm or 4gpm

If I have a 24vdc electrical system then 4gpm is really awesome....not bad for $685

Our trucks run on 12vdc, and 1.75gpm for $685 sucks! They need to change the windings on that motor for 12vdc ONLY and give us the 4gpm they want us to pay for!
replyreply
just put one way valve in so oil can't back flow with pump off. You might as well shim the oil pump while you are at it so your running pressure is better. Here is why, caterpillar has alot more oil pressure and even with dry starts the cam bearings look great at 600,000 miles on every cat 15L i have took apart. So it has not been proven yet because i have not pulled a cummins apart yet that is running with higher oil pressure but i bet the cam bearing will look great in a cummins also with simular to cat oil pressure.
replyreply
Thanks Gearhead. Can you share pic of Oil Pump Shim.

I can see why an airplane would NEED back-up oil pump, but I am starting to wonder if a truck engine oil pump goes out, would it be better to let ECM cut off engine and pull oil pan on the side of road to inspect what failed than to have back up pump keep the truck running.

What damages or destroys oil pumps most often?

How could a failed oil pump cause more damage to an engine running on an electric backup oil pump?
replyreply
03-08-2016, (Subject: Diesel Engine Pre-Oiler Pump ) 
If you were going to pre-lube an engine, why not just use a hand pump? Quick connector at the filter and suck new oil out of a container. I am probably under thinking this, but it seems to me that there would be less wiring:) How often are you going to use it anyway? I'd go Low Tech on this one.

http://www.amazon.com/Lumax-LX-1344-Blac...+hand+pump

or oil in a grease gun would work. Zerk fittings are cheaper than quick connects.
You could route the hoses so that it resembles a Duck Wing:)

User's Signature: Slow Minded not Stupid.
replyreply
What I am planning here is a pre-oiler that works for the 5 seconds you turn the Ignition key to ON while waiting for the glow plugs to warm up oil is flowing. I want 2 million miles out of my next camshaft. Wiring is the easy part here, plumbing is the challenge. I am going to get an oil cooler by itself to play with and remove port plugs, blow air thru it, and map out these ports for all to know. Wish I could get a CAD drawing of the oil cooler that shows internal views of parts
replyreply
(03-08-2016 )yamajason Wrote:  What I am planning here is a pre-oiler that works for the 5 seconds you turn the Ignition key to ON while waiting for the glow plugs to warm up oil is flowing. I want 2 million miles out of my next camshaft. Wiring is the easy part here, plumbing is the challenge. I am going to get an oil cooler by itself to play with and remove port plugs, blow air thru it, and map out these ports for all to know. Wish I could get a CAD drawing of the oil cooler that shows internal views of parts
Don't forget an inline oil filter on your system! Sucking oil out of the pan and pumping it through the motor, Bad Idea. I'm sure you already thought of this. I'm just trying to promote my Duck Wing Pre-Oiler as it is far superior in this respect.

Hand Pumping a little oil, while checking your oil, would only take 4 seconds.

I have seen a diagram on Quickserve of the Lube Oil routing. It was for a CM2250. You might look there.

replyreply
CM 2250 Lube System

Attached File(s)Image(s)
./uploads/201603/post_1372_1457441873_b6f4d05b86897e81a0f5ebcd9a4ba914.png

replyreply

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.