Loosing 1/4 inch of coolant every 3 weeks?
08-12-2016, (Subject: Loosing 1/4 inch of coolant every 3 weeks? ) 
Loosing 1/4 inch of coolant every 3 weeks?
I measured the amount of coolant I'm loosing and it's about 1/4 inch every 3 weeks so far. Is this normal or should not be loosing any coolant at all? Don't have any external leaks I'm thinking either egr cooler or maybe dozer. I will be doing a pressure test on next day off.
replyreply
RE: Loosing 1/4 inch of coolant every 3 weeks?
Its probably a leak that only occurs when you are driving. Go through and make sure all coolant clamps are secure, it didn't take that long for me to do. Had to replace one clamp.
replyreply
Check out this thread
http://rawze.com/forums/showthread.php?tid=625
replyreply
I did I checked all clamps and can't seem to find any leaking.
replyreply
I had the same problem once and it was the water filter housing. Slightly cracked at the shutoff valve. There are so many different things it could be though.

When I finally found the dripping coolant it was a very small amount, and I thought it was because the filter was not tight enough. So I tightened the water filter a little more.

It didn't work, I still had to add about 1 size coffee cup of red coolant every few weeks to stay topped off.

Went back with a flash light and looked around more. I decided to change the filter and clean the circular groove out that the water filter gasket seals up against. I did a good job cleaning it and the damn thing still leaked over the next few weeks.

Anyway, went back with the flashlight again and looked up top at the shutoff valve and could see the coolant dribble a few leaks when I pressed down on the bolt head fitting of the shutoff valve.

If your running an APU, go check all those coolant and heater hoses for the APU heating and cooling.
replyreply
No a pu, I'm gonna have to dig deeper. Hopefully not my egr cooler.
replyreply
Just pressure up the cooling system, and let it set overnight, then a good thorough inspection should reveal the leak.

User's Signature: It's hard to win an argument with a smart person, but it's damn near impossible to win an argument with a stupid person
replyreply
Yeah on my next day off looking forward to find the leak. The psi should be 20?
replyreply
Just pump it up until you have air coming out you pressure relief cap.

User's Signature: It's hard to win an argument with a smart person, but it's damn near impossible to win an argument with a stupid person
replyreply

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.