Isx liner help
07-29-2021, (Subject: Isx liner help ) 
Isx liner help
I removed my
Liners today and they didn’t have any shims. Could I replace them with the new apr liners with shims from
Cummins?
replyreply
RE: Isx liner help
(07-29-2021 )Jchism3406 Wrote:  I removed my
Liners today and they didn’t have any shims. Could I replace them with the new apr liners with shims from
Cummins?

just because the orig. ones did not have shims does not mean much.

assuming this is an ISX ...
If you do not cut the counter-bores and shim the liners up to 0.015" then you will not extend the life of the engine.

here is a list of extra things to always do to extend the engine life and build it, that are not covered in the manuals/quickserv.
ref: http://rawze.com/forums/showthread.php?t...9#pid56299

User's Signature: ->: What I post is just my own thoughts and Opinions! --- I AM Full Of S__T!.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Jchism3406
Okay thank you I was just curious why the old liners didn’t have a brass shim. But my new liners do
replyreply
They reduced the outer wall height and added the shim to try and get more life out of the counterbores. Regardless of the shim being fitted to the liner or not, the counterbores need to be in good shape. Most of the time, machining is highly recommended.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Jchism3406 , Rawze
07-30-2021, (Subject: Isx liner help ) 
I live in central Florida. Is there anybody mobile that does it. Engine is out of truck
replyreply
Before we pull liners we bolt them down. Clean top of block really good and check liner protrusion. That way I know what Im dealing with. Also if using OEM your good but if anyone goes aftermarket buyer be ware.. Need to have who ever is cutting counter bore measure them my guy who cuts ours is telling me hes been having several shops use aftermarket and he had to measure each liner and cut the hole per liner and mark liner to go in that hole he cut it for.... We use oem and so far havent had a issue with them,,,,
replyreply
 Thanks given by: tree98 , JimT , PuroCumminsPower
(07-30-2021 )Mr Hagg Wrote:  Before we pull liners we bolt them down. Clean top of block really good and check liner protrusion. That way I know what Im dealing with. Also if using OEM your good but if anyone goes aftermarket buyer be ware.. Need to have who ever is cutting counter bore measure them my guy who cuts ours is telling me hes been having several shops use aftermarket and he had to measure each liner and cut the hole per liner and mark liner to go in that hole he cut it for.... We use oem and so far havent had a issue with them,,,,
Just went threw the book on the X15, believe it said tq the liners to 100ftb to check protrusion
OEM is always best, but ive also been waiting for my overhaul kit for 4 weeks now from cummins
replyreply
Put {after-market} liners and pistons in an 855 yesterday and they all came out the same

Counter bore repairs were just replaced though, everything was like new

One thing I didn't do was put RTV around the counter bore. Seemed to be conflicting information about that with most opinions saying it wasn't needed. By my measurements I was at the top end of liner protrusion so opted not to use it

replyreply
07-31-2021, (Subject: Isx liner help ) 
(07-30-2021 )RocketScott Wrote:  ...
One thing I didn't do was put RTV around the counter bore.

is there not a back-up o-ring on the liner to retain the coolant?. Does not make any sense unless the manual calls for it specifically.

User's Signature: ->: What I post is just my own thoughts and Opinions! --- I AM Full Of S__T!.
replyreply

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.