new volvo engine d13tc
07-06-2022, (Subject: new volvo engine d13tc ) 
RE: new volvo engine d13tc
(07-04-2022 )Nostalgic Wrote:  That's a warning I gave up on. 2 guys, I've went into depth and wasted my breath.
"Nope, "Hank" at "dealer" said I have the updated one, I'm good."
"Nope, "Hank" at "dealer" said my X15 is good, that was only the 2250's that had that problem"

While simultaneously mentioning that they just spent over $7k at the dealer for a tune-up and it still isn't running right but the puke digits intake manifold the dealer sold them seems to be helping...

It's ok, for $5k, "Hank" at "dealer" said he'd do a delete on them. Best part, they don't touch any of the parts, it's all tuuuuning.

I can't compete with Hank. Hank>me because Hank has been taking their money for years.

^---- These unfortunately are accurate statements...

Although, I kinda feel for anyone actually named 'Hank'.....seems they get the $hit end of the blame stick lol... Isn't 'Highway Hank' also a thing too lol

Come to think of it, I do enjoy listening to some Hank Williams Jr......but maybe that's why he's so damn bitter in his old age lol
replyreply
 Thanks given by: tree98
07-13-2022, (Subject: new volvo engine d13tc ) 
They posted cruising rpm around 1000 at 70mph . Maybe somehow volvo did something different. I kind of believe it is very bad for the engine, but on the other hand a bunch of engineers put this together. I think we will know in 2-3 years how it holds up.

Attached File(s)Thumbnail(s)

replyreply
07-14-2022, (Subject: new volvo engine d13tc ) 
(07-13-2022 )Konstantin Wrote:  They posted cruising rpm around 1000 at 70mph . Maybe somehow volvo did something different. I kind of believe it is very bad for the engine, but on the other hand a bunch of engineers put this together. I think we will know in 2-3 years how it holds up.

I have seen a couple come in the shop now, mostly for emission issues but I had the opportunity to do a cam on 1 of them. They have a multi piece cam and 1 of the lobes for the fuel pump spun and was causing a fault and low power.

I was actually pretty happy when I seen the fixed vane turbo I feel like this is gonna increase reliability of the turbo and the repositioning of the EGR valve is a lot better. But listening to it I could tell there was a moving vane creating back pressure probably in that housing where there is a turbine driving a gear so.... there goes the reliability.

On the engine itself though I did not notice any other changes.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Konstantin
(07-13-2022 )Konstantin Wrote:  They posted cruising rpm around 1000 at 70mph . Maybe somehow volvo did something different. I kind of believe it is very bad for the engine, but on the other hand a bunch of engineers put this together. I think we will know in 2-3 years how it holds up.

I don't care who designed it ... physics is physics ...
does not matter what they advertise... if it has short connecting rods in it (like most other newer designed engines), it will not live a million mile+ long life at 1000 rpm if it has a lot of bottom end torque. The photos I saw of it do not imply that the engine block is any taller than other engines in its class. so I doubt it has long connecting rods in it .. or piston guide sleeves.

-- I am thinking the whole industry is trying to make the engine only live half as long these days. The EPA wants all the engine makers to do this any ways.

Rawze Wrote:(from 2016)...
Combine that with the fact that Mr. Epa now states that trucks should last 8 years or 435,000 miles only, -- Pushing oil makers yet again to strip more away from oils, shortening their lifespans more, and pushing engine makers towards serialized components that take special software to replace to prevent tampering,... and anyone can clearly see it is way out of hand, and has nothing whatsoever to do with actually "saving the planet" at all.
ref: http://rawze.com/forums/showthread.php?t...70#pid2370

User's Signature: ->: What I post is just my own thoughts and Opinions! --- I AM Full Of S__T!.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Konstantin
Shorter engine life is better for everybody, except the owner... so as the saying goes who is informed will be safe.)))
replyreply
07-19-2022, (Subject: new volvo engine d13tc ) 

Boy they are on the verge of false advertising. Even Volvo states (and this is direct quote off their website)

A 2.47 rear axle ratio with a direct drive transmission amounts to 1,370 rpm at 65 miles per hour. A 2.28 rear axle ratio equals 1,265 rpm at the same speed. You're not gonna drop 200 rpms with a .02 rear axle change

The D13 develops it's full torque at 900 rpm. Not sure I like it for longevity.....

I run a dedicated run from Portland to LA every week. Currently in a 2017 579 midroof with the m13 and untracrap 10 speed. We run empty down and in the Pete I get about 7.5-8 mpg (I run 5+ speed limit and idle in the heat). We just got brand new 2023 Volvos with the D13 TC and Ishift. Friend already got his and we been staying in contact. He has the SAME EXACT run I do cept 1 day later. He ran his southern run at 9-9.5 mpg (he too runs the same speed and idles). My Pete has 250 gallon tanks and I fill up Millersburg, OR then Exit 253 at Eztrip (CA) then WIlliams, Ca. Each time I take about 140ish gallons (my Petes fuel gauge is strange and makes me nervous lol), He fueled Millersburg, OR ran all the way to LA and and headed back to fuel at Williams, Ca with 1/3 tank left. He has 300 gallon tanks.

So far the 3 people who got the new Volvos are really happy with them. I get mine next week. I've LOVED the Pete but HATE the Ultracrap 10 speed.

Steven Manson
Certified D11/D13 Volvo Tech
Certified ISM/ISX
Certified Annual/DOT Inspector
Certified Bendix and Meritor
8 Years driving including old Stinky Dick Simon back in the 90's
replyreply
07-19-2022, (Subject: new volvo engine d13tc ) 
(07-19-2022 )Locruid Wrote:  ...
The D13 develops it's full torque at 900 rpm. Not sure I like it for longevity.....

and what torque would that be?... 1,900 fl.lbs?

So your going to pull 80,000 lbs and climb your hills with only 325 HP?...and lug the holy %^#-sticks out of the bottom end?.

I guess everyone else with proper gearing will be having to go around you .. lol

Might as well put a chevy car engine in it.

User's Signature: ->: What I post is just my own thoughts and Opinions! --- I AM Full Of S__T!.
replyreply

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.