Upgrading my Prostars headlights
09-08-2016, (Subject: Upgrading my Prostars headlights ) 
RE: Upgrading my Prostars headlights
My wife has hid on her car and I have led on my big truck. My led lights blow her hid lights away on a side by side comparison. Led last longer and are alot brighter Imho.
replyreply
09-08-2016, (Subject: Upgrading my Prostars headlights ) 
(09-08-2016 )ashdan2010 Wrote:  My wife has hid on her car and I have led on my big truck. My led lights blow her hid lights away on a side by side comparison. Led last longer and are alot brighter Imho.

Led do last longer for sure when your talking about trucklite or jw speaker. all the hid companies claim long life but the truth is ballast burn out as do bulbs. oem last longer than aftermarket but still.

But there is no led lighting on the market that is brighter then a proper hid setup. hid put's out way more lumen and lex but more importantly for trucking, they shoot down the road a lot farther which is something led companies have struggled with for years. They are getting damn close enough though where in most cases your better off buying the trucklite assemblies as they don't have all the extra components to change. for me being in snow and ice, led is just junk. They shouldn't even sell them in Canada.

User's Signature: I'm no mechanic, I'm just a guy that breaks down enough to know a bit.
replyreply
09-09-2016, (Subject: Upgrading my Prostars headlights ) 
I also drive in Canada, and have had LED's and H.I.D's. The Speaker LEDs are bright but the pattern is not the best to light up the ditch's. The H.I.D's that were the worst lights I've ever had on a vehicle. (In the end we sold our Volvo because of the headlights). I have tried all the 9005-6 on the market from stock bulbs to SilverStars, and have found the more expensive a bulb is the faster they burn out. This is driving only at night 13hr shifts 21 days on 7 off in Albertas oil patch.

The last bulbs I bought are Hella 55watt / 65watt 9005/9006 dot approved bulbs. They are more of a yellow light like the old style sealed beams and light up the ditches and trees extremely well. These are by far the brightest lights I've ever had and because they in the the OEM lens have a safe pattern. On low beam I can count 10 steamboats (10 secs) to objects I can see in the light, on high beam its 22 steamboats that is a highway speed of 58-60 mph.

I no longer have others flash me when on low beams and anyone that leaves there highs on quickly dim them if I give a fast flash. What was amazing to me was CNR CPR trains can dim there lights, it just takes someone showing them how bright lights can be. LOL. I even had one turn all headlights off on night after a quick flash and then flash there running lights. As if to say I'm sorry.

These are not cheap about the same cost as the Siver Stars but have lasted 3 months so far, I was lucky to get a 21 day shift out of the Silver Stars.
I bought mine at an Auto Value but the are available on Amazon cheaper.
replyreply
(09-09-2016 )8042 Wrote:  I also drive in Canada, and have had LED's and H.I.D's. The Speaker LEDs are bright but the pattern is not the best to light up the ditch's. The H.I.D's that were the worst lights I've ever had on a vehicle. (In the end we sold our Volvo because of the headlights). I have tried all the 9005-6 on the market from stock bulbs to SilverStars, and have found the more expensive a bulb is the faster they burn out. This is driving only at night 13hr shifts 21 days on 7 off in Albertas oil patch.

The last bulbs I bought are Hella 55watt / 65watt 9005/9006 dot approved bulbs. They are more of a yellow light like the old style sealed beams and light up the ditches and trees extremely well. These are by far the brightest lights I've ever had and because they in the the OEM lens have a safe pattern. On low beam I can count 10 steamboats (10 secs) to objects I can see in the light, on high beam its 22 steamboats that is a highway speed of 58-60 mph.

I no longer have others flash me when on low beams and anyone that leaves there highs on quickly dim them if I give a fast flash. What was amazing to me was CNR CPR trains can dim there lights, it just takes someone showing them how bright lights can be. LOL. I even had one turn all headlights off on night after a quick flash and then flash there running lights. As if to say I'm sorry.

These are not cheap about the same cost as the Siver Stars but have lasted 3 months so far, I was lucky to get a 21 day shift out of the Silver Stars.
I bought mine at an Auto Value but the are available on Amazon cheaper.

I played the exact same game. The higher quality ones run hotter and therefore the filiments are weaker. I haul crude in alberta and the bouncing around would take them out in a week or two. At 60 buck's a pop, I was getting mad.

Hella makes a good product for sure!

http://www.deepspacelighting.com

This is where I bought my hid conversion for my 2006 and 2014 volvos because as you said, the headlights were horrible and plug and play h11 and 9005 don't work good as the low beam shuts off when turning Hugh beam on, blinding you temporarily.

User's Signature: I'm no mechanic, I'm just a guy that breaks down enough to know a bit.
replyreply
"low beam shuts off when turning High beam on"

The LCM can be programmed so low beams stay on with high beams.

My Volvo lights, like all others were crap and I had to replace my assemblies. Even with stock bulbs the new lights may not be great but they are OK. When I phoned for a quote the parts guy screwed up and quoted me about $375 for the left side but when I went in the next day to pick it up they tried charging me $475. Fortunately the night guy had printed out the quote so they gave me the lower price. A few months later I saw some aftermarket ones at Fort Garry in Edmonton on sale for $275 (reg $325ish) so I picked up the right side which I just installed a couple weeks ago.

After 7 - 8 months the left side still has a decent output but then again I'm trying to use daytime running lights as much as possible and I rarely drive after 11:00 pm.

http://rawze.com/forums/showthread.php?tid=168 I posted these pictures to show just why Volvo lights suck as bad as they do.

User's Signature: Too young to quit........Too old to change.
replyreply
(09-09-2016 )kryten Wrote:  "low beam shuts off when turning High beam on"

The LCM can be programmed so low beams stay on with high beams.

My Volvo lights, like all others were crap and I had to replace my assemblies. Even with stock bulbs the new lights may not be great but they are OK. When I phoned for a quote the parts guy screwed up and quoted me about $375 for the left side but when I went in the next day to pick it up they tried charging me $475. Fortunately the night guy had printed out the quote so they gave me the lower price. A few months later I saw some aftermarket ones at Fort Garry in Edmonton on sale for $275 (reg $325ish) so I picked up the right side which I just installed a couple weeks ago.

After 7 - 8 months the left side still has a decent output but then again I'm trying to use daytime running lights as much as possible and I rarely drive after 11:00 pm.

http://rawze.com/forums/showthread.php?tid=168 I posted these pictures to show just why Volvo lights suck as bad as they do.

Do you actually have it programmed to keep the low beam on while on high beam. personally on your own truck? I ask because last time I looked into this, it was not possible and I am very familiar with vcads and the parameters in the Volo lcm to the point where I had to go into my local dealer and show their techs how to disable the low voltage warning systems.

The Volo lights suck because the silvering on the projector bowl flakes off and the housing lense's yellow real bad.

The bowl problem is why I went to the deep space retrofit. I also built a custom relay harness to keep my factory high beam slot working and disabled all voltage warning's.

replyreply
Brock.
I only found out about the possibility by accident. The truck was in for some emission failures and while it was there they upgraded all the computers. Whether they turned on the low beam with high beam or if it was the standard setting with the new program I have no idea. Maybe it's only available with a newer update (my update was Jan 2015). It seemed to make a bit of difference on high beam directly in front of the truck but I don't look directly in front of the truck on high beam so I had the feature disabled. That and why wear out the low beam reflectors when you don't have to.

Now for some questions about your deep space HID kit. When you go in for your annual MVI does the inspector ever give you any flack? Have you ever gone through a roadside with the kit and what did the inspector say/do? Are they actually DOT approved?

User's Signature: Too young to quit........Too old to change.
replyreply
The kit is not dot approved. Dot approval is not on a single component of the headlight assembly but instead a assembly as a whole. I went through a full inspection with mine and he asked about it, but as I said. My factory high beam comes on at the same time the projector shield opens up.

I told him all I did was unbolt a non hid projector and install a hid projector, no modifications were made and the projector I used was out of a dot approved assembly. I told him it's better I do that then install plug and play h11 kits and melt my housings while blinding others, he agreed.

The owner of deepspace lighting's name is david and he is positive his kits are 100% legal and is willing to tell you how or why.

I personally don't think they are but was able to bullshit my way through a inspection.

replyreply
09-12-2016, (Subject: Upgrading my Prostars headlights ) 
Well I just got them in the truck today. I think they look great (even though the trucks dirty as hell) but tonight will be the big test.

./uploads/201609/post_1367_1473728053_491773dfe2167973512ec26cacce5dfa.jpg
./uploads/201609/post_1367_1473728180_37b0efa17f52c8b6bdf7290591dab95f.jpg

replyreply

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.