Idiot mechanic that installed my king pins over torqued the grease caps.Threads scrwd
01-05-2023, (Subject: Idiot mechanic that installed my king pins over torqued the grease caps.Threads scrwd ) 
Thumbs Down Idiot mechanic that installed my king pins over torqued the grease caps.Threads scrwd
So the guy that installed my king pins over torqued the grease caps and they blew out when I greased the pins.Is there a way to re-thread both sides?
replyreply
01-05-2023, (Subject: Idiot mechanic that installed my king pins over torqued the grease caps.Threads scrwd ) 
RE: Idiot mechanic that installed my king pins over torqued the grease caps.Threads scrwd
Pipe fitting die? Home Depot, Rigid.

User's Signature: 2008 ProStar, OEM 600hp CM-871, 18spd, 3:42, in framed in Rawze's driveway. Every day is a fresh new episode of, "The Twilight Zone"... Rod Serling lives rent free in my head. I can smell the Chesterfields.
replyreply
RE: Idiot mechanic that installed my king pins over torqued the grease caps.Threads scrwd
(01-05-2023 )Waterloo Wrote:  Pipe fitting die? Home Depot, Rigid.

It’s not only the caps that have the threads messes up but the wheel spindle assembly ones as well.
replyreply
Take it back...

User's Signature: 2008 ProStar, OEM 600hp CM-871, 18spd, 3:42, in framed in Rawze's driveway. Every day is a fresh new episode of, "The Twilight Zone"... Rod Serling lives rent free in my head. I can smell the Chesterfields.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Redland1
(01-05-2023 )Redland1 Wrote:  

It’s not only the caps that have the threads messes up but the wheel spindle assembly ones as well.

just some thoughts... the beer is talkin' ...

Speed-gun happy work has no excuse out here.. this most especiually with critical components like king pins and other steering-related parts. Someone gonna get killed like that some day.

Take it back to them and ask them to have the mechanic that did the work tell you what the torque spec was... and watch them clammer around like a worm because they never bother to torque them normally, .. then make them replace the units, requesting they take it out of the technicians pay.

If they refuse, then tell them they will be hearing from your lawyer for the amount they owe you after you pay someone else to fix it properly + the freight you lost that week as a result.

User's Signature: ->: What I post is just my own thoughts and Opinions! --- I AM Full Of S__T!.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Waterloo , Bengy88 , Redland1 , Volvo8873
Check for RTV too while you are at it... ;-)

replyreply
 Thanks given by: Redland1 , Volvo8873 , Nostalgic
01-06-2023, (Subject: Idiot mechanic that installed my king pins over torqued the grease caps.Threads scrwd ) 
(01-05-2023 )Rawze Wrote:  
(01-05-2023 )Redland1 Wrote:  

just some thoughts... the beer is talkin' ...

Speed-gun happy work has no excuse out here.. this most especiually with critical components like king pins and other steering-related parts. Someone gonna get killed like that some day.

Take it back to them and ask them to have the mechanic that did the work tell you what the torque spec was... and watch them clammer around like a worm because they never bother to torque them normally, .. then make them replace the units, requesting they take it out of the technicians pay.

If they refuse, then tell them they will be hearing from your lawyer for the amount they owe you after you pay someone else to fix it properly + the freight you lost that week as a result.

Last I heard he went back to Mexico.I walked in on the guy as he was finishing up installing the second cap with an impact and asked him why the hell he used it on something like that and he told me “It will be fine I do it like that all the time”.
replyreply
01-06-2023, (Subject: Idiot mechanic that installed my king pins over torqued the grease caps.Threads scrwd ) 
If a grease gun is all it took to pop them off then I would say the threads must be pretty much gone. I'm afraid your gonna need new spindles or at the very least take yours off and have new threads cut into them and custom caps made.

User's Signature: im_seeing_parameters_in_my_sleep 1
replyreply
01-10-2023, (Subject: Idiot mechanic that installed my king pins over torqued the grease caps.Threads scrwd ) 
Can a machine shop cut new threads into them?
replyreply

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.