Looking at Buying This Truck
06-25-2023, (Subject: Looking at Buying This Truck ) 
Looking at Buying This Truck
I am new to this forum and I am also a soon to be new O/O. I am looking at purchasing my first truck and I have found this 2014 Cascadia with 449,177.5 verified miles and 14,300 verified hours (3,753 hours are idle). The truck is a 10 speed with 3.55 rear end. I'm thinking/hoping I can get this truck for around $25,000 (they are asking $33,000) but wanted to get some opinions on a few things to possibly use as bartering chips. The truck will need new rubber all around, I will address the fuel pump immediately, do an EGR tune up, and full fluid change (engine, gear box, and rear end). It looks like the turbo has been replaced and possibly more, plan on calling Cummins in the morning to see if they have any records on it. The frame in the rear has been damaged, would that keep it from passing DOT? Attached is a phot as well as a video of a walk around, if you happen to look at it and would be willing to give thoughts, I would greatly appreciate it. I'm green and I'm trying to learn as much as I can as I go.

https://youtu.be/cWRY9cDdcTA

./uploads/202306/post_6513_1687721881_4382a534a9c8ab761613b89cf2ecac98.jpg
replyreply
RE: Looking at Buying This Truck
Change all pressure sensors, if demandated then have the program in the ecm checked by someone recommended here, and pull an abuse report with insite, look at all regen history.
The frame is a minor 20 minute repair that should be the least of your worries. If the truck looks like anything was neglected then everything was neglected. If you are looking at a truck and they tell you the engine just been rebuilt and don’t have documentation in their hand then walk away because chances are they are full of shi#t and just want to sell the truck, happens more than you would believe.

User's Signature: You can’t buy love, but you can rent it for 3 minutes!
replyreply
I'll see if I can find someone with insite that can pull the engine data. All mandated stuff is still there and should still be hooked up. I ran a RigDig report and it came out of the UPS fleet. The dealer doesn't have any info on the truck, it came from auction. I was initially looking at trucks double the price with about 100K less miles. My thought was if I can get this for $25K and I end up having to inframe it, I can. I have the funds set aside to do it if needed. This particular dealer appears to not do much to the truck after acquiring it, so I don't think they are painting everything and slapping lipstick on a pig. I have learned that trying to buy a used truck sucks and it's like throwing dice up in the air. Thank you for your thoughts.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Bengy88 , JimT
06-26-2023, (Subject: Looking at Buying This Truck ) 
http://rawze.com/forums/showthread.php?tid=2807

Take some time to read through this thread. It may save you some head/heartache.

User's Signature: You can’t buy love, but you can rent it for 3 minutes!
replyreply
Issue that I see while watching the video...

*** A complete garbage Napa oil filter... That is a big no-no.. and a fleet-guard oil filter should be installed instead. Those after-garbage oil filters are well known for destroying engines.
just for reference... A baldwin brand oil filter was claimed to have taken out this engine: http://rawze.com/forums/showthread.php?t...6#pid11446

** Looks like maybe no one has ever changed the power steering fluid or filter.- Needs new filter and a flush.

** Looks like the davco filter has one of those garbage 50-micron filters in it instead of a proper 10-micron filter like it should have.

** looks like the grease fitting on the steering arm have been completely neglected.. Looks like it is desperate need of greasing at both ends. Someone needs to give a really good yand and ensure there is no play in the u-joints on it.

** Looks like it is desperate need of an EGR tune-up.. and a lot of sensors replaced atthis point. Looks like the engine has been seriously neglected in this regard. (ERG Delta-P sensor + its mounting block cleaned out, IMAP, Exhaust bp sensor, and more.

** Looks like the hydraulic clutch fluid level is low.. and the oil is dark. -= Not a good sign, and with it low like that, the truck could randomly refuse to start sometimes.. or the clutch may act up.

** Looks like the crank case filter has hardly ever been serviced.. Someone needs to ensure it has a maintenance free one .. or it has been hollowed out. Not servicing the crank case filter often enough leads to overhead cam failures.. and turbo bleeding oil.

This leads to ... !!!! Someone NEED TO PULL THE VALVE COVER OFF IT!!!.. and inspect the overhead cam to ensure it is not flaking out at this point.

** All signs point towards the fuel system never being maintained or worked on. Also the pressure relief valve looks untouched. -= With its age and mileage, it would surprize me if this thing would pass a proper rail pressure leak-down test...
ref: http://rawze.com/forums/showthread.php?t...3#pid75483
- I see injectors and/or a relief valve in its near future.. if not right away. (maybe a $1500+ ea. for any injectors that are leaky, and a $350 relief valve).

** Looks like someone swapped the front steers on it at some point. this will accelerate the wear on them.

** Looks like the CB/AM/FM radio antenna has been broken off or is missing. This is actually a big deal, as on Freightliners,.. one antenna is used and made special that has them all combined. Looks like it needs a new one from the stealers$it.

** I see the fifth wheel slide release air line has been disconnected. That is actually a good thing.. unless someone needs to adjust on it.

*** Looks like it is in need of a new green pig-tail.

** WHY would someone put new torque-bars on the back end?.. That seems a bit suspicious. Torque bars would not have been worn out by only 500k miles typically.

** Looks like some wiring on the back end has been cut. Hopefully it is not the ABS sensors.. Maybe a pressure sensor for the air bags that got removed./>?. or something else?.. but in any event.. it should NOT be flopping around like that at all.. NOR be cut off like that on the end. - It will vibrate and rub thru and go bad quickly with it loose like that on a truck.

** I has those garbage mud-flaps on it that should have never been invented. That style of mud flap are a road hazard, bouncing around and jumping out of their holders when the damn pin or elbow breaks, and something more robust need to be installed in their place.

-- As far as the frame damage to the back goes .. Shi$it happens.. Its a damn truck!. .. Get over IT!!!>...lol

** I would have to invest in a set of all aluminum rims for it when you put tires on it. Those steel rims are a lot of unnecessary weight .. especially for a day-cab.

-= Hard to tell much of anything else.. no one bothered to crawl under it and inspect the drive-line, carrier bearing,.. or anything else in that video. There is more s#it that needs to be inspected while UNDER the truck, than above. ..lol

Its likely due for re-torque of all the hub bearings, and a whole lot more too (all the 250k miles maintenance + the 500k mile maintenance).. seeing the shape of it so far.

Needs a new set of guts for the fuel pump as well (due every 400k miles or 8,000 hrs), to prevent the engine destroying itself via the well known fuel pump of death syndrome.

User's Signature: ->: What I post is just my own thoughts and Opinions! --- I AM Full Of S__T!.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: SquareOne , amermextrucker , JimT
I have that same specd truck. If it happens to check out, that's a money maker for sure when driven properly. 3.55's and a 10 speed are a great start. This was my first truck as well when I was a bright green own/op lol. Ended up being a very good decision. Pay attention closely to the advice given here and you'll do fine.

Aside from the items already mentioned, the truck does look very clean for nearly 10yrs old. Other than maybe the black heat guard under the passenger side and the black step support under the driver side, there doesn't appear to be any frame painting that I can see. Helluva job cleaning it, that's for sure.

Are you able to get any history on the truck? If you use the engine serial number, you could create a quickserve account with Cummins and obtain some info on there as well.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Rawze
11-28-2023, (Subject: Looking at Buying This Truck ) 
About that 2014 Cascadia, you're right to think about the rear frame damage. That could be a big deal for DOT inspections. Your plan for negotiation looks good, primarily pointing out the need for new tires and all the maintenance you're planning.
replyreply
12-11-2023, (Subject: Looking at Buying This Truck ) 
Buying used trucks can be trickier, but I snagged a used truck last year due to budget constraints. I got a solid deal on a 2010 Ford F-250 for 11k, from boom and bucket, which worked wonders for my home projects and the moving process. When negotiating your Cascadia, focus on needed changes and how much effort and money you should invest. And hey, you should check out https://www.boomandbucket.com/equipment/trailers. Maybe they have some deals that may catch your attention
replyreply
12-13-2023, (Subject: Looking at Buying This Truck ) 
If it were mine.........I would take it to Mr Hagg and have the overhaul, and all needed repairs done before placing truck into service. I can assure you wont regret it and it will be ready to provide you years of service.

User's Signature: It's hard to win an argument with a smart person, but it's damn near impossible to win an argument with a stupid person
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Rawze , amermextrucker

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.