Welding Peterbilt Y pipe
07-19-2023, (Subject: Welding Peterbilt Y pipe ) 
Shocked Welding Peterbilt Y pipe
The Y pipe on the DEF side of my 2014 peterbilt 388 has cracked right in the centre, instead of replacing it $$$$, i have it setup to weld as its cracked perfectly in the Y center. Ive heard so many different procedures on welding on trucks, now im wondering what the best protection is for the ECM and electrical components is. #1. Disconnect negative battery cable. Or #2 hook up surge protector to positive and negative on battery? I have the ground for the welder setup maybe 7 inches or so from the crack on one of the exhaust clamp bolts. What do you guys think?
replyreply
07-19-2023, (Subject: Welding Peterbilt Y pipe ) 
RE: Welding Peterbilt Y pipe
Safest thing would be to weld it with it off the truck. Other than that, just make sure you have a good ground very close to where you are going to be welding, and that there is a second ground to the frame as well from the pipe near the welding area.

I have also heard of people putting 2 grounds form their welder on either side of the area to weld too.

User's Signature: ->: What I post is just my own thoughts and Opinions! --- I AM Full Of S__T!.
replyreply

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.