DEF pump froze
03-12-2024, (Subject: DEF pump froze ) 
RE: DEF pump froze
(03-11-2024 )Daved91709 Wrote:  Ok, I put another new pump on. And this problem still exists. I need a shop near Toledo Ohio.
Help please. I really DON’T want to deal with a dealership

a $300 dollar inline-6 adapter off flea-bay and a cheap laptop would give you a much better picture of what is going on.

User's Signature: ->: What I post is just my own thoughts and Opinions! --- I AM Full Of S__T!.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Daved91709
Looks to be electrical. So could be wiring to the valve or the solenoid in the valve itself IIRC the pump supplies constant pressure to the valve. ECM commands valve on and off. Rawze is right, get and cheap laptop and an adapter w INSITE. What you spend to do that is minor compared to what you will pay to get a bad repair, multiple times. INSITE will let you run some tests. Get a long enough USB cord or a USB extension cord so that you can take the laptop under the truck with you. You can cycle that valve and listen for it to click. If you don't hear anything unplug the valve.
Get a cheap incandescent, NOT LED test light. $ 2.99 at Harbor Freight. They draw about 0.4 amps. Get a package of test leads. Stop at a place that sells sewing supplies and get a box of T-pins. Hook the light up to the plug that was going to the valve. You will have to do some adapting with the pins and leads to get hooked up. In this case, polarity won't matter. Be careful to not spread the female terminals. Cycle the test again. If the bulb lights up you are good from the ECM to the plug and the doser is bad. (Most likely) If it doesn't light there is a wiring (next most likely) or ECM Problem (least likely) Or you can just buy a valve and try it. $$$ While it's out check the tip and try and get a look in the tube for DEF build-up.
Way too many mechanics don't know or understand a damn thing about basic electrical. Even or especially dealer mechanics. Posting the Engine Serial Number (ESN) also helps some of us (OK probably just me) see specifically what's going on. In Quick Serve, codes are tied to ESNs. At least AFIK. Generally all the same but I like to see the specific detail.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Rawze , Daved91709
(03-11-2024 )windowrattler Wrote:  I don't think the issue is with the pump but with the DEF injector/doser. Maybe it got damaged also in the freeze?

Or, it’s just OLD AND WORN OUT. Had a new DEF doser installed today and had a regen. Without a check engine light. I am so excited.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Rawze , DVT873

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.