Rawze.com: Rawze's ISX Technical Discussion and more

Full Version: Isx oil temp
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
I know this is probably a topic discussed before but I have a 2015 Peterbilt 579 with an ISX in it original motor was warranted out because of a failure before I got the truck. When I acquired the truck it had about 280,000 Mi on it, and had previously been demandated. I knew the truck beforehand and when it wasn't de mandated, I know it isn't the cause of the issue I'm having, but my oil temperature runs normally around 225 on flat ground in this truck on Heels it gets up to 235 but not over over 240 it doesn't ever send any codes off. I verified the temperatures with my own temperature gauge through insight and some other things well.

I changed the oil cooler thinking it might have had an issue, it was a crate motor brought from Cummins and then installed in the truck. The issue started almost immediately, once previous owner got the truck back.

It ran normal for about a month then started slowly climbing and running hotter in normal operations on just the oil. That's why when I acquired the truck. I changed the oil cooler and the oil thermostat and I'm trying to figure out if it's just a Cummins thing why it's running hotter, or if I need to look at a deeper issue.
So is the truck demandated or not?? Your post isn't clear. If it's demandated you need to have the file looked at to make sure it's not the problem.
Yes it is de mandated but the problem started before the original owner de mandated it
(09-20-2023 )tree98 Wrote: [ -> ]So is the truck demandated or not?? Your post isn't clear. If it's demandated you need to have the file looked at to make sure it's not the problem.
Sorry I didn't proofread it like I should have the voice text put words that wanted to on its own but yes it is demandated
(09-20-2023 )tree98 Wrote: [ -> ]So is the truck demandated or not?? Your post isn't clear. If it's demandated you need to have the file looked at to make sure it's not the problem.
But when it comes to the program I have no idea how it's done and if anybody could Lead Me in the correct direction to have it looked at it'd be greatly appreciated or even if somebody can do like a TeamViewer when I have it hooked up or something. I am lost when it comes to computer stuff I can tear this thing down and put it back together but I'm an idiot when it comes to computer work. The previous owner he worked for me and instead of following my advice and cleaning a filter that would have cost him a couple thousand dollars because I was going to give him one for free he decided to have somebody demandate it and then he disappeared and I acquired the truck and after the fact i realized how much stuff he had taken off and it made it fairly hard to bring it back to factory specs with Freight the way it is and how low the money is right now. But also would be greatly appreciated to find somebody that had the parts I could purchase that I need to put it back together the right way even if they're used or previously removed so I can have it back the way it should be
I would definitely have the file looked at either way, I have a de mandated CM2250 in a Volvo Chassis, one of the worst for airflow and cooling, and I rarely ever see even 220. It has to be in a hard pull, hot out, and super heavy..

Does your oil pressure look good driving and idling? How does the coolant temp look? How about exhaust temp??
(09-20-2023 )JMBT Wrote: [ -> ]I would definitely have the file looked at either way, I have a de mandated CM2250 in a Volvo Chassis, one of the worst for airflow and cooling, and I rarely ever see even 220. It has to be in a hard pull, hot out, and super heavy..

Does your oil pressure look good driving and idling? How does the coolant temp look? How about exhaust temp??

So as of right now pulling a 35,000 lb load through Iowa my coolant is at 199 and my oil temperature is at 230 even on a hard pull it never gets over 240
on the oil temperature. This issue started approximately 2 months after a crate motor was dropped in the engine and kept getting told by Cummins and Peterbilt that it just happened sometimes then about 7 months later the driver demandated it my oil pressure runs about 40 PSI going down the road at 1400 RPM and then once it's warmed up or about 25 to 30psi at an idle. Exhaust temps are in the normal range driving down the highway pulling a load I might see 850 degrees when I stop this afternoon I will put back up to it and get an exhaust temp off the gauge on insight to see what it's getting up there on the manifold side at idle and at operating speed also with the 35,000 lb load approximately got on here I'm probably weighing about 65 to 68,000 approximately on gross weight
ABSOLUTELY!!!>>> a bad demandate program can and will often cause the oil to run hotter than it should.

DO NOT be so quick to rule it out as one of the main culprits just because it got worse over time.

Bad injection timing and/or over-boosting turbo, etc.. will make excessive friction in that engine in a hurry, making the oil run hotter than it should and eating the cylinders up internally.. eventually causing a cracked piston, dropped liner, or some other catastrophic failure.

More than 90%+ of all the programs that these clowns out there use to 'de-lete' one is absolutely horrible and will very often lead to the issues you are having.

I have even seen with my own eyes once, a truck one time that had such horrible settings in it, that it would get the oil temps to 240F+ just bobtailing it around town. It was fairly apparent that some total jerk-weed jacked the injection timing and fueling up in it by trying to shove old CM570 injection timing settings (from the 1990's) into a common rail 2015 engine. -= That is how utterly stupid some of these people really are out there.

Start by copying the program out of the ecm and e-mail it to me for e proper review of what someone did in there.. and to eliminate it as an all too common contributing factor.

here is what roughly needs to be done:
http://rawze.com/forums/showthread.php?t...2#pid68742
The engine was running 12 degrees final timing, the turbo tables were also slap f*cked. I’ll include pictures. There was absolutely no mode control or attempt at it. Whoever tuned it jumped cpl numbers. And the egr wasn’t properly in Bluetooth mode. Should have a report back tomorrow on oil temps after it was repaired but that’s what I seen at a quick glance when I looked at it. I really don’t understand the concept of these turbo tables though….. it looks like some shi#t out of a 16 year olds powerstroke.
Pages: 1 2
Reference URL's