Rawze.com: Rawze's ISX Technical Discussion and more
Oil on IMAP plug - Printable Version

+- Rawze.com: Rawze's ISX Technical Discussion and more (http://rawze.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Big Truck Technical Discussion... (/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: ISX Related Help (/forumdisplay.php?fid=68)
+--- Thread: Oil on IMAP plug (/showthread.php?tid=579)

Pages: 1 2

Oil on IMAP plug - TeaspoonSean - 07-03-2016

doing an egr tuneup and found that the plug that goes from the IMAP sensor into the side of the engine is covered in oil and crud buildup. I unplugged the end from the side of the nine and the plug is full of oil. Any idea what's going on? The receptacle that goes into the engine seems a bit loose, does it screw in? Clip in? Are there o rings that might be leaking?

RE: Oil on IMAP plug - Brock - 07-03-2016

The only way I would think for you to have oil on your I map would be from bad turbo seals either psst or present.

I'd pull off the blue intake hose and see if there's oil in there or not.

RE: Oil on IMAP plug - Wiseman - 07-03-2016

(07-03-2016 )TeaspoonSean Wrote:  doing an egr tuneup and found that the plug that goes from the IMAP sensor into the side of the engine is covered in oil and crud buildup. I unplugged the end from the side of the nine and the plug is full of oil. Any idea what's going on? The receptacle that goes into the engine seems a bit loose, does it screw in? Clip in? Are there o rings that might be leaking?

I think you talking about the engine brake harness. Can't tell with out picture. Your description sounds exactly like that. If you have so much oil on your I map sensor, your engine would runaway long before you see the oil .

RE: Oil on IMAP plug - Brock - 07-03-2016

(07-03-2016 )Wiseman Wrote:  
(07-03-2016 )TeaspoonSean Wrote:  doing an egr tuneup and found that the plug that goes from the IMAP sensor into the side of the engine is covered in oil and crud buildup. I unplugged the end from the side of the nine and the plug is full of oil. Any idea what's going on? The receptacle that goes into the engine seems a bit loose, does it screw in? Clip in? Are there o rings that might be leaking?

I think you talking about the engine brake harness. Can't tell with out picture. Your description sounds exactly like that. If you have so much oil on your I map sensor, your engine would runaway long before you see the oil .

I definitely misread that one......

RE: Oil on IMAP plug - Hammerhead - 07-03-2016

Speaking of IMAP sensors...I pulled mine to clean it as it hasn't been done for about 180-200k and the "cage" around the probe was gone!
I sat down, cracked a beer, and sat there in astonishment when my neighbor mechanic walked in, he looked at it, then me and laughed. He grabbed a beer from the fridge and said, "I've only seen that once before, I was just as dumbfounded as you are."
I said "it's Sunday, do you have one? Cause I don't know where to get one today..."
"Yup, let me finish the beer and I'll go get it"
"There will be a fresh cold one right there in front of you when you get back dude!"

RE: Oil on IMAP plug - TeaspoonSean - 07-03-2016

Yes, it most likely is the engine brake plug, is there a simple solution to the oil building up inside its plug?

RE: Oil on IMAP plug - Hammerhead - 07-04-2016

This is the IMAP sensor, located on the intake manifold...the sensor located at the tip of the screwdriver.
[attachment=1652]

RE: Oil on IMAP plug - Wiseman - 07-04-2016

(07-03-2016 )TeaspoonSean Wrote:  Yes, it most likely is the engine brake plug, is there a simple solution to the oil building up inside its plug?
Indeed it is . Take the valve cover off . Remove the clip of the crossover engine brake harness connector. Pool it off and clean it really good from oil . And I mean really good . Absolutely no oil by any means. Use brake cleaner , blow air again and again until no oil is left behind!!!
Then find good epoxy capable of handling 300*F . Roll ring alike with masking tape around the part where wires go into the plug and cap it with epoxy. Let it cure . Put new O-rings and reinstall. From now on you'll not going to have any oil coming out of this thing ever !!!!

RE: Oil on IMAP plug - Hammerhead - 07-04-2016

This is the Jake brake wiring harness pass through...my finger is pointing at it, way back inside behind the Deta-P sensor, on the head between the ECM and the fuel pump of the IFMS.
[attachment=1653]
If this is where your leak is, the question is; is the seal gone bad, or is it a symptom?
If the seal is bad:
1-remove the connector from the passthrough connector (early engines have a threaded connector, unscrew the retaining nut. Later engines us a clip retainer, remove the clip in an upwards direction.)
2-pop the rocker cover and disconnect the wires at the Jake brake selnoids.
3-remove the Jake brake wiring harness from the retaining holes.
4-work the passthrough connector free towards the inside of the rocker cover. (Clean any grime before this step to avoid putting contaminants inside the rocker cover.)
5- remove the defective harness, and replace in reverse order. Or if the O-rings are bad, replace them instead of the harness...

***Be sure that the seal is bad first though, off the oil leak is just a symptom of excessive crankcase pressure changing it will be a short term cover up of the actual problem.

On second thought, listen to Wiseman, he's got a simpler explanation...thanks Wiseman. I think way faster than I'm capable of typing