Oil on IMAP plug
07-03-2016, (Subject: Oil on IMAP plug ) 
Oil on IMAP plug
doing an egr tuneup and found that the plug that goes from the IMAP sensor into the side of the engine is covered in oil and crud buildup. I unplugged the end from the side of the nine and the plug is full of oil. Any idea what's going on? The receptacle that goes into the engine seems a bit loose, does it screw in? Clip in? Are there o rings that might be leaking?
replyreply
RE: Oil on IMAP plug
The only way I would think for you to have oil on your I map would be from bad turbo seals either psst or present.

I'd pull off the blue intake hose and see if there's oil in there or not.

User's Signature: I'm no mechanic, I'm just a guy that breaks down enough to know a bit.
replyreply
(07-03-2016 )TeaspoonSean Wrote:  doing an egr tuneup and found that the plug that goes from the IMAP sensor into the side of the engine is covered in oil and crud buildup. I unplugged the end from the side of the nine and the plug is full of oil. Any idea what's going on? The receptacle that goes into the engine seems a bit loose, does it screw in? Clip in? Are there o rings that might be leaking?

I think you talking about the engine brake harness. Can't tell with out picture. Your description sounds exactly like that. If you have so much oil on your I map sensor, your engine would runaway long before you see the oil .
replyreply
(07-03-2016 )Wiseman Wrote:  
(07-03-2016 )TeaspoonSean Wrote:  doing an egr tuneup and found that the plug that goes from the IMAP sensor into the side of the engine is covered in oil and crud buildup. I unplugged the end from the side of the nine and the plug is full of oil. Any idea what's going on? The receptacle that goes into the engine seems a bit loose, does it screw in? Clip in? Are there o rings that might be leaking?

I think you talking about the engine brake harness. Can't tell with out picture. Your description sounds exactly like that. If you have so much oil on your I map sensor, your engine would runaway long before you see the oil .

I definitely misread that one......

User's Signature: I'm no mechanic, I'm just a guy that breaks down enough to know a bit.
replyreply
Speaking of IMAP sensors...I pulled mine to clean it as it hasn't been done for about 180-200k and the "cage" around the probe was gone!
I sat down, cracked a beer, and sat there in astonishment when my neighbor mechanic walked in, he looked at it, then me and laughed. He grabbed a beer from the fridge and said, "I've only seen that once before, I was just as dumbfounded as you are."
I said "it's Sunday, do you have one? Cause I don't know where to get one today..."
"Yup, let me finish the beer and I'll go get it"
"There will be a fresh cold one right there in front of you when you get back dude!"

User's Signature: Why? Why do I always ask "why?" Because I can't learn or help teach others with "'cause I said so..."
replyreply
Yes, it most likely is the engine brake plug, is there a simple solution to the oil building up inside its plug?
replyreply
07-04-2016, (Subject: Oil on IMAP plug ) 
This is the IMAP sensor, located on the intake manifold...the sensor located at the tip of the screwdriver.
./uploads/201607/post_2077_1467605588_f7c782d563f7ef9809b7e716bde1749d.jpeg

User's Signature: Why? Why do I always ask "why?" Because I can't learn or help teach others with "'cause I said so..."
replyreply
(07-03-2016 )TeaspoonSean Wrote:  Yes, it most likely is the engine brake plug, is there a simple solution to the oil building up inside its plug?
Indeed it is . Take the valve cover off . Remove the clip of the crossover engine brake harness connector. Pool it off and clean it really good from oil . And I mean really good . Absolutely no oil by any means. Use brake cleaner , blow air again and again until no oil is left behind!!!
Then find good epoxy capable of handling 300*F . Roll ring alike with masking tape around the part where wires go into the plug and cap it with epoxy. Let it cure . Put new O-rings and reinstall. From now on you'll not going to have any oil coming out of this thing ever !!!!
replyreply
This is the Jake brake wiring harness pass through...my finger is pointing at it, way back inside behind the Deta-P sensor, on the head between the ECM and the fuel pump of the IFMS.
./uploads/201607/post_2077_1467605735_1a02c13a74b80669373d9ae28e360668.jpeg
If this is where your leak is, the question is; is the seal gone bad, or is it a symptom?
If the seal is bad:
1-remove the connector from the passthrough connector (early engines have a threaded connector, unscrew the retaining nut. Later engines us a clip retainer, remove the clip in an upwards direction.)
2-pop the rocker cover and disconnect the wires at the Jake brake selnoids.
3-remove the Jake brake wiring harness from the retaining holes.
4-work the passthrough connector free towards the inside of the rocker cover. (Clean any grime before this step to avoid putting contaminants inside the rocker cover.)
5- remove the defective harness, and replace in reverse order. Or if the O-rings are bad, replace them instead of the harness...

***Be sure that the seal is bad first though, off the oil leak is just a symptom of excessive crankcase pressure changing it will be a short term cover up of the actual problem.

On second thought, listen to Wiseman, he's got a simpler explanation...thanks Wiseman. I think way faster than I'm capable of typing

replyreply

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.