Cm2250 oil pans in 2023
09-11-2024, (Subject: Cm2250 oil pans in 2023 ) 
RE: Cm2250 oil pans in 2023
TL;DR Flex Seal works pretty damn good, even over oil soaked rusted metal.

I finally got around to installing the new PAI oil pan back in July, nearly a year after I ordered it. Kept the old pan limping along with periodic coatings of Flex Seal clear spray, right over the rust and damp oil. Worked great for weeks at time (for nearly a year over all) before oil would start to lightly soak through.

Didn't do anything special to the new pan, just a few coats of tractor supply's "Majic" brand IH Red with a couple months to cure in my garage before install. So far so good. I will clean it and apply a coat of flex seal over top, once I get a chance. That Rectorseal worked great. Nearly 4 years with no oil pan leaks following my inframe so it was reapplied to the new install.

I also replace my lower radiator pipe (on my Peterbilt) around the same time. Ordered a stainless steal one from https://bhtubes.com/. Painted it up anyway. Pretty quick shipping direct from the Philly, PA area. Only issue on mine was one bend was ever so slightly off (compared to the OEM original). Not enough to cause a problem, the 45 degree silicone elbow connector allowed for some variance. But something to check before you paint or install. Just wish they had a stainless version of the EGR "bypass" coolant tube as well. I cleaned and painted that little pipe good 4 years ago but it slowly rusted to hell, so I payed the outrageous price to Cummins for a replacement as I couldn't find a stainless version anywhere.

I've had bad luck with using Corroseal under paint, especially POR-15. By itself it seems to work good when applied to an already rusty surface, but on clean metal and/or under a layer of paint it has repeatedly led to peeling after a few months. I'm no pro when it comes to painting so there's definitely a chance of user error, but I can and did follow directions each time.

User's Signature: "...And as we wind on down the road, Our Shadows taller than our Soul..."
replyreply
 Thanks given by: hookliftpete

Messages In This Thread
Cm2250 oil pans in 2023 - JimT - 07-29-2023,
RE: Cm2250 oil pans in 2023 - JimT - 09-11-2024

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.