Why I add 12% (one gallon) of gear lube at every oil change...
08-13-2017, (Subject: Why I add 12% (one gallon) of gear lube at every oil change... ) 
RE: Why I add 12% (one gallon) of gear lube at every oil change...
I ordered in and put in the Sta Lube on my truck this week. I am glad I read some other opinions, there are a lot of guys out there who are recommending 10-30 in the ISX. That never felt right with me. An engine moving that kind weight using that kind of force seems to me needs more viscosity. But....then again my 2015 suburban runs on 0-w20 because the bearing clearances are so tight.

Ended up finding a good deal on Jet.com for 15-40 delo and also put in the sta lube. When you think about it, really think about it, it makes too much sense.

Also my engine has a few leaks, and I can't bring myself to put in any kind of stop leak on it. Stop leak kinda sounds like restrict flow to me....and oil is cheap you can just put in more.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Rawze
08-13-2017, (Subject: Why I add 12% (one gallon) of gear lube at every oil change... ) 
(08-13-2017 )Waterloo Wrote:  I service the truck at Speedco or TA, I let them put the bulk of the regular Rotella in and about that 35 quart mark I stop them and have them pour in the gear lube. Then they finish filling the motor. Do not fill your oil filter with it, Wiseman is spot on.

LOLZ -- You forgot about the part where they argue with you and tell you that you are destroying your engine! -- all while holding up a bottle of 110-grade viscosity Pkue-kass.

.jpeg  irony.jpeg (Size: 10.38 KB / Downloads: 350)

User's Signature: ->: What I post is just my own thoughts and Opinions! --- I AM Full Of S__T!.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Waterloo
i know a friend of mine has a 2250 isx and cummins recommendation is 10w30. Now all the 871 engines Cummins specifically says not to use 10w30. So it depends on the model but I would run 15w40 in them all. Just my opinion.
replyreply
(08-13-2017 )Nilao Wrote:  i know a friend of mine has a 2250 isx and cummins recommendation is 10w30. Now all the 871 engines Cummins specifically says not to use 10w30. So it depends on the model but I would run 15w40 in them all. Just my opinion.

Even more irony. They have roughly the same parts in them aside from the common rail and injectors lol.

User's Signature: ->: What I post is just my own thoughts and Opinions! --- I AM Full Of S__T!.
replyreply
(08-13-2017 )Rawze Wrote:  Even more irony. They have roughly the same parts in them aside from the common rail and injectors lol.

Actually that is exactly what they told me, they said the injector cam pressures are too high for 10W30 and require heavier viscosity.
I find that fishy, the cam lobes and followers surface area is such a considerablly higher percentage than the valve cam it's not even funny. This is supported by the observation that the valve cams chew up faster and more frequently than the injector cam imho, but I'm just some hack in the Internet. This hack will stick with 15W40 and a gallon of 80W90 gear oil...

User's Signature: Why? Why do I always ask "why?" Because I can't learn or help teach others with "'cause I said so..."
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Rawze , GunRunner
10-10-2017, (Subject: Why I add 12% (one gallon) of gear lube at every oil change... ) 
Hi everyone i have a 2017 pete 389 cm2350 factory 550hp 1850tq 13spd 3.55rears sitting on 24.5tall 80k miles on it with mandate been babied sinces day one so far so good looking to soon get with a well respected member in this site to get mm tuned what do you guys recommend for gear oil and how much i usually do oil changes at 10 k no more than 12k miles thanx for the help in advance
replyreply
10-10-2017, (Subject: Why I add 12% (one gallon) of gear lube at every oil change... ) 
Sta-Lube GL-5 https://amzn.to/2U2o6Mc

You should use say 1/4-1/2 gallon. I would say 1/4 gal. You do know about the fuel pump on that motor? As far as tuning it, Mr Hagg or Gearhead, where are you located?
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Junjun88
I don't even let them offer it to me at the speedco. Always walking up with their Lucas shirts and ballcaps...I tell them 'rotella oil change, fuel filters, no snake oil'

What they don't like is when I tell them to put the last bit of oil in my empty oil jug because I'm putting in my oil additive. They look at me like they don't understand though I told them I'm putting in my own additive. I told them I'm paying for a full crankcase of oil...and I expect if if it's in my oil pan or not. That's slows down your average oil tech for a couple minutes.

User's Signature: 2010 T2000, CM871, 13spd, 977k, tanker yanker
Overhauled @ 927k
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Waterloo , Rawze , JMBT , hhow55 , fargonaz , Truck328 , JimT
(10-10-2017 )Waterloo Wrote:  Sta-Lube GL-5 https://amzn.to/2U2o6Mc

You should use say 1/4-1/2 gallon. I would say 1/4 gal. You do know about the fuel pump on that motor? As far as tuning it, Mr Hagg or Gearhead, where are you located?

You mean the recall?? If its the recall i went by the dealer and checked by vin number and thank God am not one of those am located in FL what about unilevers??
replyreply

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.