twisted straps
04-29-2021, (Subject: twisted straps ) 
twisted straps
stumbled upon this video where the guy tests to see if twists in straps affect their load capacity or breaking strength.

User's Signature: "...And as we wind on down the road, Our Shadows taller than our Soul..."
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Rawze , SquareOne , Roysbigtoys
04-30-2021, (Subject: twisted straps ) 
RE: twisted straps
You could show that video to a pile of guys and they would still argue that twists will weaken the securement. Im sure it has to do with that good ol' Dunning-Kruger effect Rawze posted. Not only did it not break at significantly less pressure with the twists. It also came nowhere close to the WLL (Working Load Limit).

The straps in the video are rated at 3,333 lbs. WLL (Working Load Limit in other words 1/3 of the 10,000 lbs Breaking Limit) Which is the rating you'll be concerned with if you're using these straps as a direct connect securement (strap hooked directly from trailer to freight) and double that rating for an indirect securement (strap hooked on both ends to the trailer with the load under or surrounded by the strap)

Take away from the video: Twists are good. Knots are not.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Rawze , Nostalgic , Waterloo , Roysbigtoys
Always put a twist in my straps so I don't look and sound like a flapping buzzard down the road. That and it helps by reducing paint damage on some cargo

User's Signature: 2010 Lonestar - CM871 - 13sp - 3.70s, 2016 T680 - cm2350 - 13sp - 3.36s - skateboarder
replyreply
 Thanks given by: JMBT , Waterloo , Nostalgic
Ill twist em if i got something i cant tighten down by standing and jumping on the bar. Flapping straps garner unwanted attention.
replyreply
the video is a fine example of why ppl should stay away from social medai. Nothing but a bunch of under-educated gaggle of idiots would say that straps break more easily if they have a slight twist in them.

User's Signature: ->: What I post is just my own thoughts and Opinions! --- I AM Full Of S__T!.
replyreply
(04-30-2021 )smorgan87 Wrote:  Ill twist em if i got something i cant tighten down by standing and jumping on the bar. Flapping straps garner unwanted attention.

I have a chip out of my right shin bone from putting my foot on a winch bar that slipped. I learned a very valuable lesson to never use my feet. I would strongly recommend not ever pushing on the bar with your feet lest you want to end up like this poor soul.... https://youtu.be/U5Hbh3HDekM
replyreply
 Thanks given by: smorgan87 , JimT
05-01-2021, (Subject: twisted straps ) 
(04-30-2021 )Chamberpains Wrote:  
(04-30-2021 )smorgan87 Wrote:  Ill twist em if i got something i cant tighten down by standing and jumping on the bar. Flapping straps garner unwanted attention.

I have a chip out of my right shin bone from putting my foot on a winch bar that slipped. I learned a very valuable lesson to never use my feet. I would strongly recommend not ever pushing on the bar with your feet lest you want to end up like this poor soul.... https://youtu.be/U5Hbh3HDekM
I did that once. 1☆ dont recommend.
replyreply
05-01-2021, (Subject: twisted straps ) 
I've away's put a twist in my straps. i really hate it when they flap around and get that buzzing sound going down the road...even on other trucks:)
But i would NEVER! put a knot in any strap... That's just asking for a nice officer to come talk to you. plus that's just really stupid to do that.
I would be more concerned about little nicks/cuts and abrasions on the strap that will kill them faster and weaken them way more than a twist..

User's Signature: hard to go 60 mph when the winds blowing 65+ in WY
replyreply
 Thanks given by: JimT

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.