VGT TURBO ACTUATOR INSTALL FAILS
05-18-2021, (Subject: VGT TURBO ACTUATOR INSTALL FAILS ) 
RE: VGT TURBO ACTUATOR INSTALL FAILS
(05-18-2021 )BlueTurbo Wrote:  On my way to Mr Hags shop. I have put the old actuator back on the turbo without calibrating it, as instructed, moved the turbo gear about half the distance and reinstalled the actuator. Truck drives fine like before with little engine brake.

Will see what the problem is later...

Let me know when you get over there... I am just as curious too.

User's Signature: ->: What I post is just my own thoughts and Opinions! --- I AM Full Of S__T!.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: BlueTurbo
05-20-2021, (Subject: VGT TURBO ACTUATOR INSTALL FAILS ) 
Music RE: VGT TURBO ACTUATOR INSTALL FAILS
(05-18-2021 )Rawze Wrote:  
(05-18-2021 )BlueTurbo Wrote:  On my way to Mr Hags shop. I have put the old actuator back on the turbo without calibrating it, as instructed, moved the turbo gear about half the distance and reinstalled the actuator. Truck drives fine like before with little engine brake.

I wanted to say thank you for your help with the actuator install. After I left the shop I noticed I still have no engine brake. Check engine light went off, but still no engine brake.

After I drove the truck for like 200 miles I got the check engine light again.

Just checked the codes now and this is what is shows....Maybe you can take a look and have an idea what's going on.

Thanks again!

Attached File(s)Thumbnail(s)

User's Signature: 2010 Freightliner Cascadia 10spd ISX 871 450HP
replyreply
(05-20-2021 )BlueTurbo Wrote:  
(05-18-2021 )Rawze Wrote:  

I wanted to say thank you for your help with the actuator install. After I left the shop I noticed I still have no engine brake. Check engine light went off, but still no engine brake.

After I drove the truck for like 200 miles I got the check engine light again.

Just checked the codes now and this is what is shows....Maybe you can take a look and have an idea what's going on.

Thanks again!

Looks like maybe some kind of wiring issues on the can-bus #2 still? or perhaps turbo hanging up only when it gets hot?

There is no reason that the engine brake should not be working that I am aware of except maybe those ecm communications, maybe dash settings that are incorrect? or turbo mechanical issues?

could also be that the turbo is only acting up / hanging up when it gets hot? ... its rare but does sometimes happen.

User's Signature: ->: What I post is just my own thoughts and Opinions! --- I AM Full Of S__T!.
replyreply
BTW: For those who were following this... I went over to Mr. hags shop and used the box that i made for turbo's and force-calibrated his new reman turbo actuator. It has simply lost its memory sitting on the shelf, from wherever he purchased it from. It worked just fine, passed all tests and turbo arm movement resistance tests after that.

I thought that was pretty crappy the ppl that sold it to you would not take it back.. just think of someone else who might not have been able to swing by hags to have the memory in that brand-new (reman from stealser#it) actuator restored.

replyreply
 Thanks given by: Waterloo , t700 , SquareOne , BlueTurbo , tree98 , Techmech
05-21-2021, (Subject: VGT TURBO ACTUATOR INSTALL FAILS ) 
(05-20-2021 )Rawze Wrote:  BTW: For those who were following this... I went over to Mr. hags shop and used the box that i made for turbo's and force-calibrated his new reman turbo actuator. It has simply lost its memory sitting on the shelf, from wherever he purchased it from. It worked just fine, passed all tests and turbo arm movement resistance tests after that.

I thought that was pretty crappy the ppl that sold it to you would not take it back.. just think of someone else who might not have been able to swing by hags to have the memory in that brand-new (reman from stealser#it) actuator restored.

I may need the specs on this said box I ran across a similar problem not to long ago
replyreply
Wow, I just saw this thread right as I am starting to have problems with my actuator. Perfect timing!

2012 Volvo 825K CM2250, 500hp, 1850tq, deman. My turbo has 377K on it and my actuator has 438K. Both were brand new not remans when I replaced them.

The other day under a load the VGT stuck when I was trying to jake pulling into rest area. I had no jake, no throttle response, then as i was coasting to a halt, the truck puffed out a plum of black smoke, (which it never does) and all was back to normal. I plugged in Insite and had 8 inactive counts of code 2387 in the last 77 engine hours. I reseated the 4 pin connector at the actuator and cleared the code since it was inactive, then went on to deliver my load. After that I ran another short run then DH home about 2000 miles total. The truck ran flawlessly. When I got home I plugged Insite back in and this time there were no codes....

I think something is warning me of an impending failure.

Anyhow, I watched Rawze's awesome series on servicing the actuator. (Rawze you never fail to amaze me with your knowledge of this stuff) I don't know electronics very well but I can follow directions pretty darn good. I might tackle it, don't know yet... if not...

Is Sandra still rebuilding them?? if so what does she charge?? Thanks, JMBT

User's Signature: Anti-seize EVERYTHING, Except injectors...Use Petroleum Jelly!!!
replyreply
Some times the vanes will get stuck from soot build up
That maybe what happen then broke loose
But Rawze has some nice tune up video's and I have sent them to a couple of friends that own there trucks and nothing but good feed back,
replyreply
 Thanks given by: JMBT
05-22-2021, (Subject: VGT TURBO ACTUATOR INSTALL FAILS ) 
There is a terminal resistor on the lower part of emissions harness. we have in the past found it and relocated it to the engine harness. This will be our next step here to rule out wiring issues on the secondary harness..... Once doing this we will take pictures so anyone else having this issue can do the same
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Rawze , JMBT , snailexpress , t700 , PuroCumminsPower , Waterloo , DSTdriver , Techmech
05-22-2021, (Subject: VGT TURBO ACTUATOR INSTALL FAILS ) 
(05-20-2021 )Rawze Wrote:  Looks like maybe some kind of wiring issues on the can-bus #2 still? or perhaps turbo hanging up only when it gets hot?

There is no reason that the engine brake should not be working that I am aware of except maybe those ecm communications, maybe dash settings that are incorrect? or turbo mechanical issues?

could also be that the turbo is only acting up / hanging up when it gets hot? ... its rare but does sometimes happen.

I just wanted to share my experience. I recently swapped out my turbo and actuator with a new one from Yiyito. Everything is great, but when I would go down a hill where I really needed engine brake my turbo wouldn’t work correctly. It would not come on, or only produce like 8psi which is not enough. I went over wires having to do with turbo and noticed some were too close to turbo and engine. I took a old leather glove and cut it and wrapped engine wires and wires coming from turbo. I zip tied them and pulled them away from the heat. I haven’t had any more issues. I think the issue was the heat.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Rawze , Waterloo , BlueTurbo , Techmech

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.