OIL Faves?
06-07-2021, (Subject: OIL Faves? ) 
OIL Faves?
OIL preferences?

2014 Pete 386 w/Cummins ISX. Barely 400,000 mi. on it What is your preferred engine oil and why?
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Rawze
RE: OIL Faves?
(my CM871) ...

- I use regular Rotella-T and a gallon of 75/90 or 80/90 gear lube. Has always done me well.

My overhead cams lasted more than 1.4 million miles before they were finally worn enough to consider replacing. Nothing else that is lubricated in my engine has ever needed replacing that was lubricated by oil due to wear.

No need to over-think about what oil to use any ways. Just use a top brand and be done with it. With the exception of the newer common rail fuel pumps that get neglected, Most causes of an ISX to need an in-frame have nothing to do much with any oil-lubricated parts any ways. Most in-frames are caused by non-lubricarted components being the issue.

- Synthetic is also a complete waste of money, unless you live in the extreme cold north and have to cold start one a lot.

User's Signature: ->: What I post is just my own thoughts and Opinions! --- I AM Full Of S__T!.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: wespipes
Shell Rotella T 15/40

I would run synthetic if you had a HEUI system, or lived in the great white north as Rawze stated.
replyreply
Regular Mobile Delvac super1300 15w40 plus a gallon of Sta-lube 85-90 for me in my CM2250. I have always used Mobile products in all my vehicles. Good or bad they have done good for me.

User's Signature: Anti-seize EVERYTHING, Except injectors...Use Petroleum Jelly!!!
replyreply
06-08-2021, (Subject: OIL Faves? ) 
Rotella here as well. It's been around a LONG time and has proven itself.

User's Signature: im_seeing_parameters_in_my_sleep 1
replyreply
Rotella, regular old Dino with a shot of gear oil, been using the Walmart brand, Supertech, it is inexpensive and a quality gear oil. Change oil between 12,000 and 18,000 miles, all depends on how I am running the truck. She usually lets me know when it is time.

User's Signature: 2008 ProStar, OEM 600hp CM-871, 18spd, 3:42, in framed in Rawze's driveway. Every day is a fresh new episode of, "The Twilight Zone"... Rod Serling lives rent free in my head. I can smell the Chesterfields.
replyreply
(06-08-2021 )Waterloo Wrote:  She usually lets me know when it is time.
A few people think that I am losing my mind when I tell them that! They are the ones though that the stealershit has them on a choke collar leash at all times because they do not know any better!

Rotella for me! I even have it for breakfast! Good stuff!

User's Signature: Born and raised in Vyskonsin on milk, cheese, bread, and beer!
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Waterloo , Rawze
(06-08-2021 )Volvo8873 Wrote:  
(06-08-2021 )Waterloo Wrote:  She usually lets me know when it is time.
A few people think that I am losing my mind when I tell them that! They are the ones though that the stealershit has them on a choke collar leash at all times because they do not know any better!

Rotella for me! I even have it for breakfast! Good stuff!

Nope, you are not losing your mind... ;-)

I can literally feel when it is time to change the oil. She runs just a touch different, uses a tad more fuel, etc. I cannot explain it, I just know. And it is always between the 12,000 and 16,000 mile mark. When I was pulling doubles in PA, 10,000 miles was it, in for service, she let me know.

User's Signature: 2008 ProStar, OEM 600hp CM-871, 18spd, 3:42, in framed in Rawze's driveway. Every day is a fresh new episode of, "The Twilight Zone"... Rod Serling lives rent free in my head. I can smell the Chesterfields.
replyreply
(06-08-2021 )Waterloo Wrote:  I can literally feel when it is time to change the oil. She runs just a touch different, uses a tad more fuel, etc. I cannot explain it, I just know. And it is always between the 12,000 and 16,000 mile mark. When I was pulling doubles in PA, 10,000 miles was it, in for service, she let me know.

I could tell when mine needed an oil change even when laying in the back bunk and the wife was driving it.. lol

User's Signature: ->: What I post is just my own thoughts and Opinions! --- I AM Full Of S__T!.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Waterloo

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.