3 cylinder fuel pump info
03-05-2017, (Subject: 3 cylinder fuel pump info ) 
RE: 3 cylinder fuel pump info
I don't know my @$$ from a hole in the ground on these three cylinder pumps other than the horror stories I've read here and heard.
The way I read, understood, & took Uni's reply to your question was that "Yes the plungers are the same in both 2 & 3 cyl pumps."
Without further clarification if I wanted to rebuild a three cyl for a spare, I'd pop the head and pull a plunger. I'd take that plunger and a good set of calipers and go on down to my local Cummins dealer and I'd ask for a two cyl plunger by part number and measure them both side by side six ways from Sunday right there at the parts counter...trust me, no manufacture is immune to being frugal and using the same internal parts across different components to save manufacturing costs, they just give them different part numbers to hide the fact. When you really start comparing parts, you start to see the real amount of interchangeability there is.

User's Signature: Why? Why do I always ask "why?" Because I can't learn or help teach others with "'cause I said so..."
replyreply
 Thanks given by: JMBT
That's a good idea Hammerhead! Thanks. Now the only problem I will have is the gear pump seal. I know it is a two way seal. Keeps the oil on one side and the fuel on the other. It is not shown separately on quickserve, so I am guessing I will need the whole gear pump. I am going to call a few more dealers today and try to run one down. Maybe I can at least find a dealer who will agree they are still out there somewhere. We'll see.

User's Signature: Anti-seize EVERYTHING, Except injectors...Use Petroleum Jelly!!!
replyreply
(03-05-2017 )JMBT Wrote:  That's a good idea Hammerhead! Thanks. Now the only problem I will have is the gear pump seal. I know it is a two way seal. Keeps the oil on one side and the fuel on the other. It is not shown separately on quickserve, so I am guessing I will need the whole gear pump. I am going to call a few more dealers today and try to run one down. Maybe I can at least find a dealer who will agree they are still out there somewhere. We'll see.

Is that seal different or non existent on the two cyl pump?
I've never seen one apart so I don't know.

User's Signature: Why? Why do I always ask "why?" Because I can't learn or help teach others with "'cause I said so..."
replyreply
03-06-2017, (Subject: 3 cylinder fuel pump info ) 
I don't know either? They changed the ports on the 2 cylinder's gear pump to the top side. (bottom on the 3 cylinder's) Other then that they look very similar. If they are using the same internal parts like plungers it's possible the seals are the same. I have no part number for the seal via quickserve, I think maybe you have to buy the whole gear pump?

User's Signature: Anti-seize EVERYTHING, Except injectors...Use Petroleum Jelly!!!
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Hammerhead
03-14-2017, (Subject: 3 cylinder fuel pump info ) 
On this note, I came across a cummins service line PDF that says there is a new fuel pump short block kit for the cm2250, QSOL reference TSB150033.

Has anyone looked into what this is? Sounds like it's a replacement main body and can rob some of the parts from the exsisting pump? Maybe a cheaper option?
replyreply
03-14-2017, (Subject: 3 cylinder fuel pump info ) 
Had a dig around further and this is the breakdown of that TSB reference.

TSB Number:
TSB150033-030915
NHTSA Number:
TSB Date:
March 19, 2015
Date Added to File:
January 11, 2017
Failing Component:
Fuel System, Other:Delivery:Fuel Pump
Summary:
This technical service bulletin describes the release of and service instructions for a new fuel pump short block service kit to allow for reuse of the existing fuel pump head and fuel pump gear pump to make a complete fuel pump.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Rawze
03-30-2017, (Subject: 3 cylinder fuel pump info ) 
Liquidforce, I saw that too but took it to be a short block kit for the two cylinder pumps, not to convert the 3cyl to the two. I could be wrong though.
It is very hard to get a straight answer on any of this from Cummins. 4 Cummins dealers now have told me that my engine # an early 2011 with 3 cylinder pump was not included in any of the pump replacement campaigns. They say it was only covered under the, replace if it fails in the first 500K, campaign that ran before the current unconditional replacement campaign that covers 2012 and early 2013 with two or three cylinder, ceramic plunger pumps. However several of the guys on the forum say that mine should have been covered?? I guess it doesn't matter now that I forked out the big dollars for the new pump. This is my 5th truck with red under the hood, and that $4400 raping that I just took,(parts only by the way with me doing the labor) just about sealed the fate that my next truck will not have red under the hood. But alas it will make no difference to "mother Cummins." What is one angry O/O in a sea of big companies buying hundreds of their engines at a time.

replyreply

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.