3 cylinder fuel pump info
02-22-2017, (Subject: 3 cylinder fuel pump info ) 
RE: 3 cylinder fuel pump info
http://rawze.com/forums/showthread.php?t...39#pid5739

User's Signature: ->: What I post is just my own thoughts and Opinions! --- I AM Full Of S__T!.
replyreply
03-03-2017, (Subject: 3 cylinder fuel pump info ) 
Well I finished my 2 cylinder pump upgrade and the truck is running great! I took the head off the old 3 cylinder tonight an was amazed to see at nearly 600K it was perfect inside! The cylinder bores, tappets, rollers, springs, and cam didn't show ANY signs of wear, and the ceramic plungers looked brand new except a small line on the bottom of one. Everything I inspected would have passed Cummins reuse criteria in the service manual. I will try to post some pics of the internal parts when I get a chance.
Talking to the Cummins shop here when I was ordering the parts, the service guy told me that my truck being an early 11 model CM 2250 it never had a recall campaign on the pump. He said the only campaign mine would have been included in was only to repair the damage after the pump failed, if it happened before 500K, but no actual "recall" like on the newer ones. So I am confused, were all the ceramic plunger pumps bad or not?? If so why not recall them all? Or even better make a steel upgrade for the 3 cylinder to save guys some money! C'mon Cummins, you can do better, WTF! I feel like big red is jerking me around here!

User's Signature: Anti-seize EVERYTHING, Except injectors...Use Petroleum Jelly!!!
replyreply
(03-03-2017 )JMBT Wrote:  Well I finished my 2 cylinder pump upgrade and the truck is running great! I took the head off the old 3 cylinder tonight an was amazed to see at nearly 600K it was perfect inside! The cylinder bores, tappets, rollers, springs, and cam didn't show ANY signs of wear, and the ceramic plungers looked brand new except a small line on the bottom of one. Everything I inspected would have passed Cummins reuse criteria in the service manual. I will try to post some pics of the internal parts when I get a chance.
Talking to the Cummins shop here when I was ordering the parts, the service guy told me that my truck being an early 11 model CM 2250 it never had a recall campaign on the pump. He said the only campaign mine would have been included in was only to repair the damage after the pump failed, if it happened before 500K, but no actual "recall" like on the newer ones. So I am confused, were all the ceramic plunger pumps bad or not?? If so why not recall them all? Or even better make a steel upgrade for the 3 cylinder to save guys some money! C'mon Cummins, you can do better, WTF! I feel like big red is jerking me around here!

im glad you got this fixed

there is a ton of misinformation you have been told. It was a full on campaign, even before they failed. The steel plungers are the upgrade for both pumps - either could have ceramic. Cummins dropped the campaign after 2 years of full running of it due to their oil bypass crap. 3 cylinder pumps failed terrible even after the upgrades - this is why everyone went to the new 2 cylinder pumps.

people need to get the facts straight.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: snailexpress , Rawze , axe
Thanks for the extra info Unilevers! I am still feeling pretty jilted by Cummins. I would think there would have been a full recall too! There is a bunch of bad info out there. Cummins in Tulsa, says my truck never qualified, so does Cummins in Kansas City. All I know is I am the original owner and I never received anything via mail or email about this issue. My pump started leaking a bit around the gear pump so I got on this forum to get some info and saw all the horror stories. Then I call Cummins and find out they don't even sell parts for the 3 cylinder any more....nothing, nada, zip, zilch! It was the fist I had heard of it. As good as my pump looked inside I would have gladly opted for a steel upgrade for the 3 cylinder if it would have been available, so it ends up costing me $4400 in parts, a couple knuckle scraps and curse words! Oh well, it's only time and money!

User's Signature: Anti-seize EVERYTHING, Except injectors...Use Petroleum Jelly!!!
replyreply
Unilevers, you said they did or do make a steel upgrade kit for the 3 cylinder? I have seen the one for the 2 cylinder but not for the 3. Are the plungers the same size for the 2 cyl and 3 cyl?

replyreply
(03-03-2017 )JMBT Wrote:  Unilevers, you said they did or do make a steel upgrade kit for the 3 cylinder? I have seen the one for the 2 cylinder but not for the 3. Are the plungers the same size for the 2 cyl and 3 cyl?

yes
replyreply
(03-03-2017 )JMBT Wrote:  Unilevers, you said they did or do make a steel upgrade kit for the 3 cylinder? I have seen the one for the 2 cylinder but not for the 3. Are the plungers the same size for the 2 cyl and 3 cyl?
Yesterday was talking to Cummins guy about fuel pumps. He said the old style 3 cyl pump has upgrade steel parts they call it diamond cut for around $200. The newer 2 cyl pump could be with ceramic or steel. Depends on part#. Latest model part#4359487 for sure with steel.
Brand new not remanufactured quoted $3600.
replyreply
Yeah I already installed a brand new 2cyl not a reman here at my brothers ranch in OK. For the pump and all the lines, washers, banjos, and mounts it was $4400 and change. I would have just converted my 3 cyl to steel but Tulsa Cummins said they didn't make parts for it any more! F@$k!
Unilevers do you know the part number for the steel upgrade for the 3 cyl? And where I can get it? If so I'll rebuild this one for a spare!

replyreply
03-04-2017, (Subject: 3 cylinder fuel pump info ) 
Do any of you guys know the part numbers for the steel plunger upgrade for the 3 cylinder pump that Unilevers was talking about above?? Also, do you know any Cummins dealer where I can get them. I want to rebuild it for a spare. I will also need a gear pump seal and it will be good to go! The Cummins dealers around here in the Midwest are of no help. Just talked to Tulsa again today and they are maintaining they can't get any parts for it.

replyreply
 Thanks given by: fargonaz

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.