Engine Down
02-27-2017, (Subject: Engine Down ) 
RE: Engine Down
(02-27-2017 )earnies2 Wrote:  
(02-27-2017 )Redpower870 Wrote:  I agree with Billdozer2 and Rawze....new head...just did a new casting on my 870 and loving the results so far, only a few hundred more than reman. The Bay is where I got mine. Mexican casting but what isn't now-a-days....improved cooling and noticable flow improvement on intake side....happy-happy.

I would agree with you if there wasn't a machine shop on site and i am replacing all the valves, seats, and guides along with new injectors the only thing i am using is the casting it will be like a new head

Seriously READ THIS THREAD BEFORE GETTING YOUR HEAD REBUILT
http://rawze.com/forums/showthread.php?tid=308
replyreply
These guys aren't telling you to buy a new head because they just like to see people spend money. There telling you that from experience and trying to save you problems and money. If the valve seats have worn out the head is at its end. These heads just crack. Another thing to be looking at is if you have valves with no contact line on them then they were way to tight, the rollers on the cam have likely not be oiling properly they will be a potential problem later on also.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: in2trux
Another thing I've learned the hard way is if your pulling a hill and you get to the top and pull over and get out and walk around and notice your engine sounds extra smooth, and you think it's just because everything is warm and firing extra smooth your wrong. It is a sign that you're valves are to tight. When everything warms your valve stems grow and don't actually let the valve close 100%. This bleeds a little compression off but it's warm so it fires clean but isn't as violent as a full compression fire. Then you will have a roller fail and wonder how that happened. Replace the bad one put a new cam in and inspect the other rollers and think all is well then, have another fail a month later on your new cam. Then you think why didn't I just bit the bullet and replace them all the first time. It's cheaper the first time.
replyreply
ive never seen a reman shop do decent injector cups on a isx yet. just fair warning.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: hhow55
(02-27-2017 )Magard Wrote:  These guys aren't telling you to buy a new head because they just like to see people spend money. There telling you that from experience and trying to save you problems and money. If the valve seats have worn out the head is at its end. These heads just crack. Another thing to be looking at is if you have valves with no contact line on them then they were way to tight, the rollers on the cam have likely not be oiling properly they will be a potential problem later on also.

The truck ran fine it used no oil or antifreeze the contact rings for the head gasket were all good the shop thought the overhead was run to tight but with worn guides we cant be sure I was told the seats were fine but with new valves he suggested installing new seats the shop seems to be a good and honest shop he did give me the option on a rebuilt head or rebuilding this one and i thought if i get a rebuilt head it might not have new valves and guides and i am pretty sure that my casting is good I did not price a new one i do not plan on keeping this truck forever .....
replyreply
There is a forum member who routinely has heads reworked with success, and he is over a couple hundred trucks. If I were in your shape I would be trying to save a few bucks also, but these people are just trying to give you good advice. You have been warned. Lol. Good luck and I hope it works out for ya.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: snailexpress , hhow55 , Magard
(02-27-2017 )Magard Wrote:  These guys aren't telling you to buy a new head because they just like to see people spend money. There telling you that from experience and trying to save you problems and money. If the valve seats have worn out the head is at its end. These heads just crack. Another thing to be looking at is if you have valves with no contact line on them then they were way to tight, the rollers on the cam have likely not be oiling properly they will be a potential problem later on also.

The truck ran fine it used no oil or antifreeze the contact rings for the head gasket were all good the shop thought the overhead was run to tight but with worn guides we cant be sure I was told the seats were fine but with new valves he suggested installing new seats the shop seems to be a good and honest shop he did give me the option on a rebuilt head or rebuilding this one and i thought if i get a rebuilt head it might not have new valves and guides and i am pretty sure that my casting is good I did not price a new one i do not plan on keeping this truck forever .....

I think your head is in the sand there. I don't care how good they say they are.

PLAY THE LOTTERY AND YOU MAY GET A WINNING TICKET --- BUT A LOT MORE PEOPLE LOOSE THAN WIN!!! -- THERE ARE 50 PEOPLE ON THIS FORUM WHO HAVE LOST TRYING TO PLAY THE GAME YOU ARE TRYING TO HERE!!!

BUY A NEW HEAD!!!! --- YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED!!!! ---

User's Signature: ->: What I post is just my own thoughts and Opinions! --- I AM Full Of S__T!.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Squish099 , Waterloo
(02-26-2017 )Billdozer2 Wrote:  I'm with Rawze. With the amount of miles you have on that truck, I'd replace the head with a NEW one. I think you are asking for trouble placing new valves into an old head. Probably be the same amount of money, no?

i am replacing all the valves seats and guides so the only thing i am using is the casting and the casting is fine, it will be like a new head not a rebuilt with regrind valves the shop that is dooing the work has a machine shop on site.. the truck only has 560k on it and this head has been replaced by the previous owner or WERNER i didn't know this when i bought the truck. but after i bought it and cleaned the motor i noticed it then...

Ahh. I thought you were up in the 600k mileage range. I couldn't remember your mileage when I came by months ago.

I don't know. All the stories that I have seen on this forum, if I ever have a head/valve issue, I'm replacing with a NEW head instead of rebuilding the one that is there. I think the cost is about the same. Maybe not. But that's just me.

User's Signature: 2013 Volvo 670 with Big Red under the hood
replyreply
02-28-2017, (Subject: Engine Down ) 
I really appreciate all the advice and i didn't price a new head because i felt comfortable with the shop i was at just like if i was with RAWZE and he suggested something. i think i made the rite decision with the facts i had in front of me. the shop i am at 85% of their work is rebuilding engines and the several shops i called all recommended this shop.
anytime you rebuild anything you never know the outcome if i was to buy a new head from Cummins i would probably have no warrante because of the mandate so that was part of my decision the truck cannot go to Cummins or a authorized dealer I hope everything turns out ok
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Pro Star Cummins

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.