EGT Gauge in a T800
09-23-2017, (Subject: EGT Gauge in a T800 ) 
RE: EGT Gauge in a T800
(09-23-2017 )Rawze Wrote:  I have come to the conclusion that most truck owners any more simply want to fail vs taking the time to do those things to make themselves successful. -- To do anything that makes sense is to be an outcast any more.

With pretty much all of the guys I work with and around, it's decades of experience. Noobs just can't walk into my line of work.
Because of this, my >25yrs of experience and almost 15yrs of exclusively HH generally makes me still makes me a newer guy.
These guys have owned equipment for so long, to take advise or input from someone like me is just unheard of, what could I possibly know that they haven't already forgot? And I've never gone to school for it, so how could I possibly have learned anything that their mechanics, who have gone to Cummins School (lmao), not know?
And they've talked to their Peterbilt, KW, and Cummins store people, and none of them have ever told them that the emission systems on these things slowly choke the life out of their engines and require periodic cleaning to restore proper function, and I've de-mandated mine because I couldn't keep mine working either. Fair point, but they won't listen to the counterpoint; that because I couldn't keep mine operating, warranty was up, and I had the Pre-Rawze knowledge all I could think to do was get rid of it. I knew there had to be a better way than what I had done, so my quest for understanding began. And understanding I ha e gained, but just like their Cummins School trained machinists, when they get to the first fault in the troubleshooting tree, they believe they've found the problem. Mine always is, "You couldn't keep it working and I de-mandated it..."

Now bring a noob into the situation who wants to get to where we are in this business, and why would they listen to me, a guy with >25yrs when the guy standing next to me has >35yrs and the newer equipment? Oh yeah, and he used to be a mechanic and all the other older guys talk to him too. Meanwhile, he won't touch his new engine because he doesn't understand all the electronic components. He'll change his own oil, but he won't even do his own overhead adjustments.
Then said noob comes to my shop to visit, and I've got the rocker shafts and injectors sitting on my work bench while I'm boroscoping my cylinders trying to find why it appears I've sunk a valve in the last 6 months, and sending the pics to Rawze and discussing my findings on mumble with him, but still goes back and takes all of his advise from the older guy? WTF!

I offer my help.
It's an open offer, but some days I wonder why I waste my breath.
Time to go read and research some more, because I still thirst for knowledge...
I mean, I'm full of

User's Signature: Why? Why do I always ask "why?" Because I can't learn or help teach others with "'cause I said so..."
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Rawze , Waterloo

Messages In This Thread
RE: EGT Gauge in a T800 - Hammerhead - 09-23-2017

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.