Helping Waterloo out with an inframe ...
05-06-2018, (Subject: Helping Waterloo out with an inframe ... ) 
RE: Helping Waterloo out with an inframe ...
Whenever I rebuild a engine, i replace all the coolant hoses. I had a friend drive away from a fresh inframe and pile it up two days later when he blew a coolant hose and cooked the head gasket. Old brittle coolant hoses being disturbed during the rebuild is a recipe for disaster.

I know this isn't exactly what you were talking about, just something that came to mind.

User's Signature: I'm no mechanic, I'm just a guy that breaks down enough to know a bit.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Signature620 , Waterloo , barf , gatow900 , zero4
(05-06-2018 )Brock Wrote:  Whenever I rebuild a engine, i replace all the coolant hoses. I had a friend drive away from a fresh inframe and pile it up two days later when he blew a coolant hose and cooked the head gasket. Old brittle coolant hoses being disturbed during the rebuild is a recipe for disaster.

I know this isn't exactly what you were talking about, just something that came to mind.

I hear you on the hoses Brock, sound advice. When I saw that EGR coolant tube, first thing I thought when I saw the rust was no, not on this truck. A failed hose is bad enough out here, a failed metal pipe, not acceptable.
replyreply
My Summer vacation, I got up...

Well, looked like rain yesterday, but it didn't. Let's see, I did some painting and scraping and cleaning and some painting. Rawze came out and found a bad cab to chassis ground, I'm going blind. We repaired that, Rawze donated some 4 AWG cable and two ends and soldered a new one up for me. Thanks Rawze. ;-)

After that, I started on the intake side, finished putting the brackets on for the harness, and air compressor line, little stuff. I spent more time cleaning and wiping things down than anything. Went around to the exhaust side and installed the thermostat housing to the head. Cleaned all of that up and painted. I need a couple of more cases of brake cleaner, need to head up to Peterbilt for more.

New exhaust manifold will be here Tuesday, so not much to do on the exhaust side until that arrives. Still plenty to do.

This is a pretty overwhelming job for a guy that has never done this kind of thing. Being outdoors is not helping matters either, the weather is always a factor. And then trying to keep the weather out of everything adds many more steps to the process, especially cleaning of the parts. I'm not bellyaching, just stating the facts.

The best part to all of this is learning this motor, and having Rawze eyeball all of the things I have missed, and there is plenty, which has been a real eyeopener in regards to how I care for this truck.

Rawze has shown me things that quite frankly, I have totally missed, like that bad ground. The little things that could lead to disaster down the road. There are so many things on these new trucks to go wrong. And it really sucks that I have lost my driveway and garage, which adds even more stress to keeping this bucket of bolts running. Will it run for two weeks, one, maybe three before it goes down again? Will there be any monies for the next blow up? Hopefully, and I believe, these ongoing issues will end right here at Rawze's house, I know I have had enough.

One thing I will suggest, if you are not a mechanic, which you should be to own one of these EPA monstrosities, is to put a second set of eyeballs on your truck. Someone that knows what to look for, and let them make an assessment. These trucks are overwhelming enough with all of their known issues, a second set of eyes will not hurt. It is hard enough just to keep up with the continual repairs and or breakdowns, that second set of eyes could be the difference between a tow bill and a successful week. Just my .02
replyreply
 Thanks given by: redbeard , DDlighttruck , Signature620 , rrod
Well, another day on the ranch, the Rawze Ranch...

Got a bit done today, finished that ground cable up, scraped some rust off the frame up front and Corrosealed it. Did some more bracket work, etc, little stuff to wake up by, man am I sore...

Anyhow, cleaned up and installed the oil pump, no I did not shim. Rawze had an abandoned jug of Lucas that Joe had left, and filled the pump with that molasses to aid in startup. Cleaned under the truck really really good. RTV silicon everywhere under there. I spent over an hour with a razor blade and half a gallon of acetone cleaning up that mess.

Set everything up, had another beer, dropped the oil pick up tube in the pan, laid out towels so as not to mess up the oil pans new paint job, grabbed my tools and a torque wrench, crawled under there and began installing. I did the silicon in the four corners, per the book, etc.

So, I am getting to like the 29th bolt, torquing to 41 ft lbs... Right up front behind the damper. I put the torque wrench to it, she turned and turned and then went "slip". The damn hole in the block was stripped out! I loaded the bolt up with green loc-tite and carried on. All of the other bolts torqued up just fine. Installed the brackets and all of that. I hope it seals, because if it doesn't the pan has to come off to tap the hole. If that happens I think I will scream.

On a side note, I did find a valuable use for my fourth trimester belly today. Did you know that if the planets are properly aligned, and the truck is sitting at just the right height on blocks, that if you position yourself, or should I say your belly, directly under the deepest part of the pan, and extend, the oil pan will go right into place! I mean this baby just elevated right into the proper position! I did not even have to tap on the sides to align the holes! LMAO!

Oh what a day!

New exhaust manifold and EGR coolant tube should be here Tuesday, we shall see what tomorrow brings. Oh, Rawze has the hottest little US Mail girl, I mean this girl was gorgeous, and that little southern drawl... Yikes! ;-)
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Volvo8873 , Magard , Brock , BobsYourUncle , Signature620 , scottydogtruck , DDlighttruck , Pd6cas2 , Roysbigtoys , barf , zero4
Quote: Oh, Rawze has the hottest little US Mail girl, I mean this girl was gorgeous, and that little southern drawl... Yikes! ;-)

Oh boy........

User's Signature: im_seeing_parameters_in_my_sleep 1
replyreply
 Thanks given by: dhirocz
Good reason to keep with the Beer. Keep that four trimester belly going. Hilarious.
replyreply
(05-06-2018 )Waterloo Wrote:  Well, another day on the ranch, the Rawze Ranch...

Got a bit done today, finished that ground cable up, scraped some rust off the frame up front and Corrosealed it. Did some more bracket work, etc, little stuff to wake up by, man am I sore...

Anyhow, cleaned up and installed the oil pump, no I did not shim. Rawze had an abandoned jug of Lucas that Joe had left, and filled the pump with that molasses to aid in startup. Cleaned under the truck really really good. RTV silicon everywhere under there. I spent over an hour with a razor blade and half a gallon of acetone cleaning up that mess.

Set everything up, had another beer, dropped the oil pick up tube in the pan, laid out towels so as not to mess up the oil pans new paint job, grabbed my tools and a torque wrench, crawled under there and began installing. I did the silicon in the four corners, per the book, etc.

So, I am getting to like the 29th bolt, torquing to 41 ft lbs... Right up front behind the damper. I put the torque wrench to it, she turned and turned and then went "slip". The damn hole in the block was stripped out! I loaded the bolt up with green loc-tite and carried on. All of the other bolts torqued up just fine. Installed the brackets and all of that. I hope it seals, because if it doesn't the pan has to come off to tap the hole. If that happens I think I will scream.

On a side note, I did find a valuable use for my fourth trimester belly today. Did you know that if the planets are properly aligned, and the truck is sitting at just the right height on blocks, that if you position yourself, or should I say your belly, directly under the deepest part of the pan, and extend, the oil pan will go right into place! I mean this baby just elevated right into the proper position! I did not even have to tap on the sides to align the holes! LMAO!

Oh what a day!

New exhaust manifold and EGR coolant tube should be here Tuesday, we shall see what tomorrow brings. Oh, Rawze has the hottest little US Mail girl, I mean this girl was gorgeous, and that little southern drawl... Yikes! ;-)

You mentioned you stripped a bolt right behind damper, I do believe that would be the front gear housing, hence the silicone bead you have to run on the 4 corners of the block where the ‘I believe’ aluminum front gear cover and rear flywheel housing which I believe is also made of aluminum joins to the cast iron engine block, how do I know, I stripped out a bolt as well torquing the pan near the front, I freaked out thinking man these Cummins blocks really are made of paper machete, but next day noticed it is the front gear cover where I stripped a bolt, sigh, putting a longer bolt in saved my bacon
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Waterloo , Signature620 , schISM , Brock , hhow55
05-07-2018, (Subject: Helping Waterloo out with an inframe ... ) 
(05-06-2018 )Waterloo Wrote:  <snip>...So, I am getting to like the 29th bolt, torquing to 41 ft lbs... Right up front behind the damper. I put the torque wrench to it, she turned and turned and then went "slip". The damn hole in the block was stripped out! I loaded the bolt up with green loc-tite and carried on. All of the other bolts torqued up just fine...<snip>

(05-06-2018 )Running rough Wrote:  <snip>...the 4 corners of the block where the ‘I believe’ aluminum front gear cover and rear flywheel housing which I believe is also made of aluminum joins to the cast iron engine block, how do I know, I stripped out a bolt as well torquing the pan near the front, I freaked out thinking...<snip>

Yes, both the gear cover and the flywheel housing are aluminum, heli-coil is your friend! Should always have some on hand if you're ever removing the oil pan, 'cause if you have it, you'll never need it, and if you don't you will...

(05-06-2018 )Waterloo Wrote:  ... Oh, Rawze has the hottest little US Mail girl, I mean this girl was gorgeous, and that little southern drawl... Yikes! ;-)
Oh dear lord...

User's Signature: Why? Why do I always ask "why?" Because I can't learn or help teach others with "'cause I said so..."
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Waterloo , snailexpress , JMBT , zero4
05-07-2018, (Subject: Helping Waterloo out with an inframe ... ) 
Just admiring the scenery. ;-) I need to order something big from Amazon, LOL!

And I will try the longer bolt. If not, looks like I may be dropping that pan, do it now and get it out of the way. Easier without fresh oil in the pan.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: redbeard

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.